Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When do you expect the first deliveries of the 2020 Roadster?

Launch Date - Founder's Cars

• Before Christmas 2020

Votes: 18 17.3%
  • After Christmas 2020

Votes: 86 82.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It feels like pure guesswork right now. Not that this thread isn’t fun! :) But we’ve gotten virtually no tangible updates on its progress. On the one hand Tesla’s always late on deadlines. On the other hand this is a low-volume car that’s likely to be hand built to a greater degree than other Teslas and it won’t be subject to the big S-curve of production that the 3 was — or even the S and X. I’m voting 2021 but I’d love to be wrong! :)

Hopefully we’ll get a better idea about where the development of it is at sometime soon.

Reactions: Joerg
I'd guess 2023. They seem completely focused on other things at this point, and it hasn't even been mentioned recently.
The Roadster is like a side project to Tesla. Not a lot of people will be working on that. And most likely, every Roadster will be hand built. But given Tesla's history with deadlines, I'm expecting the first deliveries in 2021 for the US and 2022 for the rest of the world, with the referral winners being late in the game, as the real sales will generates additional cash they will need to pay for the free ones, to keep those off the books or in the positive (damn you, shareholders! :D)

• Funny
Reactions: Joerg
I'd guess 2023. They seem completely focused on other things at this point, and it hasn't even been mentioned recently.

Agree, I heard no mention of the Roadster 2 Project on the Conference Call...
Also, I just searched the Update Letter: Silence as well. Nothing under "Automotive Products", nor under "Outlook".
Seems WAY down on the priority list, probably inactive, but 2023 seems a bit too far out - in my uninformed opinion.

if we go by the S and X and 3 reveal to production and then we kind of split the difdernces this would put us about september of 2021....... and that i think is still possible. then another 6 months for Europe so for me spring of 2022...... that will give me 2.5 years to play around with my Taycan before i receive the roadster...... sounds ok to me. :)

I'm one of the few dummies who voted "Before Christmas 2020".
It's an irrational an arbitrary vote - because Tesla is irrational and arbitrary! :)

Btw. I vote that the 83-plus Roadsters that are going out free (to YouTubers and other referrers) go out first!
PS: I also think Tesla should enter Formula-E competition - vote here: Should Tesla Enter Formula E ?

Last edited:
Tesla has become a very secretive company -- so unlike the early days when the original Roadster was in the works. Who knows what progress they've made behind closed doors?

Yes. And the fact that they’re not (or: no longer) sharing excitement really takes a lot of the “engineering fun” out. So far, Tesla hasn’t made *any* type of gesture towards early reservation holders who they used to treat as some of their most valuable resources.

Truth of the matter is that they don’t really need us as early adopters and technology aficionados anymore. And I think they realize that when Porsche, Ferrari, Aston Martin, Lamborghini, etc. (finally!) get their act together and build a proper electric car, they will not stand a chance in this high-end part of the market.

Don’t get me wrong. I still love Tesla and think it’s amazing what they’re doing technology wise. Including with the 2020 Roadster! But Tesla’s lack of “Roadster 2020 enthusiasm” makes me think this project may be at the risk of being cancelled altogether. It’s good there’s no “never” button in the poll, because as much as I wish for the contrary (I’m an early reservation holder) I think there may be a good chance to that becoming reality.

I can’t help feeling that if one would give Porsche/Ferrari/Lamborghini a $50,000/$250,000 down payment on a car that’s 2-4 years down the road, one would be treated quite differently. All Tesla has given us so far is a: “We’ve received your payment. Thanks for your reservation”.

Reactions: stevejust and Roys3
But Tesla’s lack of “Roadster 2020 enthusiasm” makes me think this project may be at the risk of being cancelled altogether. It’s good there’s no “never” button in the poll, because as much as I wish for the contrary (I’m an early reservation holder) I think there may be a good chance to that becoming reality.

Wow. . . That's the most pessimism that I've heard from anyone. Surely Tesla would take an enormous, damaging hit to their reputation. (Not to mention writing off all the development work that went into it!) They have to know that, right?

So here's a hypothetical question: If it were actually cancelled, where would you turn for your next electric sports car? What's Plan B, I wonder?

Reactions: hbouw and tstafford
So here's a hypothetical question: If it were actually cancelled, where would you turn for your next electric sports car? What's Plan B, I wonder?
I’d just return the $$$ to the bank account and sit on the sidelines for a while. No one has offered up anything compelling IMO - none of the promised yet undelivered cars interest me even. AP, the range and the SC network are still major competitive advantages. The Roadster is going to be a replacement for my MS so in a world where the project is cancelled I’d continue to enjoy my MS.

Note: I’d be stunned if they cancelled the Roadster. But I do agree that Tesla could do more to communicate with us and make being a reservation holder feel special.

Or the question would be: Who will come first? The Semi or the Roadster?

171116-truck-roadster-2-630x434.jpg

Answer: The rooster came first !

Note: Original question: who came first the chicken or the egg?

• Funny
Reactions: WarpedOne