Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When do you get Updates?

Double Question: Are you a heavy Autopilot user and are you getting updates early?

• Heavy Autopilot user: yes / early updates: yes

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Heavy Autopilot user: yes / early updates: no

Votes: 9 28.1%
  • Heavy Autopilot user: no / early updates: yes

Votes: 8 25.0%
  • Heavy Autopilot user: no / early updates: no

Votes: 9 28.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi!

As many of us I also watch TeslaFi.com Firmware Tracker for what's going on on the Software release side of life.

I have noticed that I typically get update quiet early. I don't talk about minor releases, I mean the new builds like 2019.40. Typically I'm in the first wave of about 4-5% of the Teslafi fleet.

I was wondering why this is the case. I'm a FSD owner and I have the software update setting on advanced. But this doesn't bring me up to the top 4%.

I'm using Autopilot quiet heavily. I'm not driving a lot on highways, I use it on city streets as a assistant mostly all the time. I disengage only when needed.
Maybe that's the reason why I get early updates?

Let's have a quick poll to find out. It's a double yes/no question so four possible combinations. Maybe we see something in the results.

I'm using Autopilot quiet heavily. I'm not driving a lot on highways, I use it on city streets as a assistant mostly all the time. I disengage only when needed.

Maybe that's the reason why I get early updates?
My answer to your question is most likely not, but that is about as accurate of an answer anyone not working for Tesla will be able to say. I use AP even for short segments, including surface streets where I'm not supposed to.

I don't have FSD. While it is not a factor in your poll, I'm sure it has about as much impact as the frequency of using AP: none.

I don’t think you’re going to find any discernible pattern here. My guess is that Tesla does initial rollouts of a new version either based on a hand picked subset of cars, a random algorithm picked subset or perhaps a little of both. I’ve had my Model 3 for 21 months now and my car has received updates both extremely early in a rollout and kind of late compared to the rest of the fleet.

• Disagree
Reactions: kpeng
I don't have a great deal of use for Autopilot, but I am trying to use it more often because I'm aware that Tesla is using the feedback "for good" (I think).

I have "heard" that your VIN may have an effect over when your car will get an update, but I have neither details nor source information. I seem to get them almost the same time I read about them here.

I have "heard" that your VIN may have an effect over when your car will get an update, but I have neither details nor source information.
Based on my extensive research (casually reading the TMC forums), I have come to the definitive conclusion that there may be some method to the madness, but every single opinion has as much validity as throwing a dart when you're blind-folded, drunk, and spun around several times.

I seem to updates earlier when I’ve been using AP/NoA more often.
I stopped using NoA for a while and was getting updates later, since starting to use it more I’ve been getting earlier and earlier. The last two coming in the first 500-1000 on Teslafi

I bought FSD with the car Sept 2018 and have advanced updates selected.

I typically take a road trip about once a month (heavy autopilot) and my daily commute is about 10 minutes (no autopilot), so I don't consider myself a heavy user of autopilot.

I did notice my last update (after spending $2k for a little performance) seemed sooner than usual.

I consider the main reason for early updates is FSD since 2018. A friend of mine who stood in line to get his Model 3 (Apr 2018) and didn't buy FSD, often gets his update days after me.