Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When Do You Open Your Roof?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This has probably been discussed before, and having owned my car for over two years, it's probably a bit late to be asking this.

When do you guys really drive with your roof open?

I seem to not be able to drive with my roof open when:
  • external temperature is below 15° C: too cold.
  • external temperature is above 30°C and sun is high in the sky: too hot, and direct sunlight on my head.
  • it's raining: for obvious reasons.
  • driving faster than 45 mph: wind noise too loud; feels like the wind might damage the roof.

This leaves an extremely narrow space for when to drive with roof open. Am I missing something?

I use mine almost daily - granted, I live in SoCal where it is 60-85 nearly year long. If the sun is out, I probably have it open unless it is early morning and chilly (and by that, I mean So-Cal chilly... which is like 60 degrees lol).

I don't use mine on the highway, but I do use it on smaller roads up to about 60mph.

We use ours a lot when it's above about 60F, not raining, and at speeds under about 50 mph, usually with all 4 windows down as well. I suspect we'll relax the temperature limit a bit soon and use the heaters so we can listen to the Spring Peepers in another month or so.

Same here. All the time. Works fine on the freeway with all windows up unless you are trying to talk on the phone! I find after a long run, all windows down and 100% works great around town. Probably the best option I got other than the P. I almost never use the vent setting.

I use mine almost daily - granted, I live in SoCal where it is 60-85 nearly year long. If the sun is out, I probably have it open unless it is early morning and chilly (and by that, I mean So-Cal chilly... which is like 60 degrees lol).

I don't use mine on the highway, but I do use it on smaller roads up to about 60mph.

For me, the pano is open generally in two situations:
1. Vent - reduces the whistle when I have just one back window down for my back seat companion (a Golden) to check out the goings-by
2. 70%+ Open - when I'm doing errands around town

I do not run around with the pano open all the time, nor ever when I am traveling over approx 50MPH as it's much too loud for either conversation or to hear any tunes I prefer to listen to without blasting everything and everyone out with increased volume. My open MS pano is unfortunately far louder than any of my former vehicles with an open moonroof, on-par with my former BMW and MBZ convertibles with their tops down.

While some people may not like the pano, I have had moon roofs in every one of my former SUVs for years that I occasionally enjoyed opening-up, and also owned 3 different hardtop convertibles as my favorite toy since 2002 -- purposely so the whole top could go down for a nice cruise here in generally sunny Southern California. I love the openness the pano provides in the huge MS interior even when closed -- no MS pano for me was simply too dark. Now that my Lexus with it's moonroof and MBZ convertible have been replaced by my Tesla MS, the pano is the next best thing to both. No question for me if I'd have a pano or not. YES every time.

+1. Waste of money and weight for me. The pano is the most divisive option there is - either people seem to love it or never use it.
Mostly I agree with you, but I may be one of the very few ambivalent people. I have used mine on slow rural drives when the weather was particularly fine. That said I will not order it for my next one.

Basically NEVER!

Only when it a nice day outside and I am waiting for someone...Parked.

+1. Waste of money and weight for me. The pano is the most divisive option there is - either people seem to love it or never use it.

I never open it, but I don't see it as "wasted money". I'm glad I got it, and would definitely get it again (my wife and kids love looking up through the roof)

I never open it, but I don't see it as "wasted money". I'm glad I got it, and would definitely get it again (my wife and kids love looking up through the roof)

I agree. Don't use it a lot, even in SoCal, but the aesthetic of sitting in the car with it is pretty unbeatable. Is a luxury, yes. The most practical use I get out of it is mounting my Whispbar Flush roof rack.

Just opened it while reading this thread. :) I'm in Northern California. A bit cool recently so haven't done it. It's a rare occasion. With the pano closed have better headroom compared to no pano. Love the constant moon roof and the nice lines connecting front and rear windows. (Rear and door windows are tinted now.) Probably will get Whisper for bikes soon (probably after rainy season). Don't think it was a waste but I can see other side if you never opened it or other sun roofs in other cars and wanted to save some money. To each their own.... Hey everyone, it's a Tesla and you have one!

Turn heat on max. Open roof.

Exactly my thought too. Since I could drive, I loved driving around with my windows cracked and roof open and the heat on my feet (with my ICE).

- - - Updated - - -

Righto. Passengers probably enjoy the moonroof more than the driver!

Just for the record though, I didn't mean I was having any second thoughts on the pano roof. Given a choice, I would get it every single time. I was just wondering about what the right "open" set up is. I haven't owned any other car before, let alone a moon roof. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing an obvious opportunity.

Agree. I close it on the freeways, but almost always open or vent it again once I'm off and traveling on slower roads the rest of the way to my destination. But, again, SoCal makes this easy! I rarely have to use the a/c this way.