TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

When Do You Open Your Roof?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by iffatall, Feb 29, 2016.

1. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

I'm not sure that there is any "right" setting other than 15% when parked. (For me, when moving, the right setting is closed.)

2. 46&2

46&2 Member

They should come up with the option once rumored here: all glass roof without the opening function. That would allow for the roomy feeling for those also who do not want to buy a normal pano.

Mine is open a lot, though. Just not now, during winter ter times...

3. iffatall

iffatall Member

What is the benefit of that? Cheaper?

4. Maaz

Maaz Member

I open it to 100% open with front windows slightly down almost every single day I drive it. Mostly around 1-6 pm. Sometimes at nights. Also helps that I live near all the beaches in Southern California.

5. lucy

lucy bluehair

we had a "January Thaw", 50 degree F day, with dry roads, you know my pano was wide open, seat & steering wheel heater cranked.

Heaven! :biggrin:

I'm coming from a long string of rag tops, so will probably have the pano open most of the time.

6. Fanatic1

Fanatic1 Member

To minimize the buffeting that occurs with the sun roof open without opening a window is 75% or the "comfort" setting on the MCU screen.

7. Jool

Jool Member

Love having the panoramic roof open for low-speed driving around sunny San Diego! But having it open on freeway drives just doesn't work for me - too noisy.

Mainly got the roof for the added light and open feel that it gives the cabin, but enjoying the weather via open-roof driving is nice too :smile:

8. 46&2

46&2 Member

It would be cheaper, I guess, but that did not seem to be the main point.

People thinking about that option mentioned:

- less possible issues (pano roof leaking, mechanism breaking down, replacement costs, maintainance...)
    - benefit of having a bright, light interior (some of them ordered the pano for this reason, also, not really to 'open' it, see this thread also)
    - more head room
    - possible roof rack mounting points
    - less weight
    - maybe, not sure about these:
    _ even more head room, when the beams next to the head do not to be as thick as with the pano mechanism.
    _ better stability than pano with moving parts (added stiffness to the cabin)

It might be cheaper, also, but that really wasn't the main point.

This is not my personal opinion, but I can understand it. I ordered the pano to have rack mounting possibility and for the lighter interior. These days, I would order black alcantara headliner, as it's standard, and I'd want glass ceiling to get more light in the cabin than without. If an 'all glass, no opening' option was available, I'd indeed consider it.
    But then, I'm happy with what I've got and open the pano roof a lot, whenever reasonably possible.

9. iffatall

iffatall Member

Oh, I have never really tried the comfort setting. I am going to give it a go the next time I get a chance.

10. auger

auger Member

Almost never until I took a road trip to Tennessee.

Once I was there, I made the same drive many times over with the roof open that I made through the mountains and valleys that I did when I lived there. Several weeks after I got home, I realized the fabric "baffle" was covered in bugs. Who looks at that when they're washing or outside their car? There are no bugs in Fort Lauderdale--I'm serious. I've never taken a "bug-strike" on my windshield at home.

So I'm back to only opening it when the coast is clear.