Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When Do You Open Your Roof?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just for the record though, I didn't mean I was having any second thoughts on the pano roof. Given a choice, I would get it every single time. I was just wondering about what the right "open" set up is. I haven't owned any other car before, let alone a moon roof. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing an obvious opportunity.
I'm not sure that there is any "right" setting other than 15% when parked. (For me, when moving, the right setting is closed.)

They should come up with the option once rumored here: all glass roof without the opening function. That would allow for the roomy feeling for those also who do not want to buy a normal pano.

Mine is open a lot, though. Just not now, during winter ter times...

we had a "January Thaw", 50 degree F day, with dry roads, you know my pano was wide open, seat & steering wheel heater cranked.

Heaven! :biggrin:

I'm coming from a long string of rag tops, so will probably have the pano open most of the time.

Just for the record though, I didn't mean I was having any second thoughts on the pano roof. Given a choice, I would get it every single time. I was just wondering about what the right "open" set up is. I haven't owned any other car before, let alone a moon roof. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing an obvious opportunity.

To minimize the buffeting that occurs with the sun roof open without opening a window is 75% or the "comfort" setting on the MCU screen.

Love having the panoramic roof open for low-speed driving around sunny San Diego! But having it open on freeway drives just doesn't work for me - too noisy.

Mainly got the roof for the added light and open feel that it gives the cabin, but enjoying the weather via open-roof driving is nice too :smile:

What is the benefit of that? Cheaper?

It would be cheaper, I guess, but that did not seem to be the main point.

People thinking about that option mentioned:

- less possible issues (pano roof leaking, mechanism breaking down, replacement costs, maintainance...)
- benefit of having a bright, light interior (some of them ordered the pano for this reason, also, not really to 'open' it, see this thread also)
- more head room
- possible roof rack mounting points
- less weight
- maybe, not sure about these:
_ even more head room, when the beams next to the head do not to be as thick as with the pano mechanism.
_ better stability than pano with moving parts (added stiffness to the cabin)

It might be cheaper, also, but that really wasn't the main point.

This is not my personal opinion, but I can understand it. I ordered the pano to have rack mounting possibility and for the lighter interior. These days, I would order black alcantara headliner, as it's standard, and I'd want glass ceiling to get more light in the cabin than without. If an 'all glass, no opening' option was available, I'd indeed consider it.
But then, I'm happy with what I've got and open the pano roof a lot, whenever reasonably possible.

Almost never until I took a road trip to Tennessee.

Once I was there, I made the same drive many times over with the roof open that I made through the mountains and valleys that I did when I lived there. Several weeks after I got home, I realized the fabric "baffle" was covered in bugs. Who looks at that when they're washing or outside their car? There are no bugs in Fort Lauderdale--I'm serious. I've never taken a "bug-strike" on my windshield at home.

So I'm back to only opening it when the coast is clear.