Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When do you think we can sit inside a production model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With all the, uh, unconventional interior design choices you'd better believe I won't buy it without sitting in one first. Maybe I could have rolled with it if there were mainstream things like an Instrument Cluster, a steering wheel that had some standard buttons on it, some conventional vents that I have an idea of how they work, etc, etc.

There's waaay to many design choices being made that are questionable to me that I need to see it in person before i commit.

That being said, I'm pretty confident there will be some to at least look at in bigger cities like mine.

How many Tesla stores are there across the USA? Can't be that many, the first couple days of production should be enough to give each store one or two.

And as someone said, putting down a refundable deposit of $1000 is a lot different than committing to a $35,000 purchase. Who has ever bought a car without seeing it in person first?
I have but I'm sure very few people have done it. I bought a Honda Pilot when they first came out and there were none in the dealerships until mine was delivered. Although I think it was only $32k. Since it was based on the MDX I had an idea about the size and I had seen the concept drawing but that was it. I actually got mine the day before they were supposed to start selling them. I might have to do the same with the Model 3 since there aren't any Tesla stores around here. My best hope is that the stores in Canada will get some about the same time as we do. Then I could take a run to the Oakville store to have a look. Even if they don't get them before I have to order I'm sure I'd go there to at least look at the color choices. I'm so up in the air on the color I want and there's no sure way to know what they'll look like other than seeing them in person.

I bought an 11 Accord coupe and 16 RAV4 hybrid both brand new without test driving them but I have seen how they look and had read reviews on them prior to purchasing. If they looked awkward, I would not have gone with them. The M3 exterior is decent and the interior has not been finalized but I am resigned to the floating display already.

I wouldn't mind buying a M3 without seeing the final interior because as it stands, there is no close competitor that will offer AWD by next year. I am almost set on buying the ESA as Tesla doesn't seem to try to wiggle away from its contractual responsibilities when it comes to fixing covered components and I know I won't be getting the Honda or Toyota reliability I have grown accustomed to except for disc brake rotor warping and a few minor issues.

Well .... my reservation number is so far down the list that I presume I will have many opportunities to see, and read, all about the M3 before I must make choices. I first need to find out where there is a showroom (I believe there may be one in Las Vegas).

Which begs the question... I wonder how this site feels about a Canadian stealing their thunder and starting a Model 3 Owners Club? I'm wondering if some of the recent website changes here were related to that. They do have interesting videos.

I am on both forums and find both offer new information every day which is great. The who where when aspect has become irrelevant these days on the web, its all about quality of service and content.

Not any time soon. Tesla has no incentive to try and round up new M3 customers or sway someone on the fence. With a backlog of about 400k orders to fill, having model 3s available in showrooms probably won't be a priority for a while.

Except that those are 400,000 reservations not orders. As was mentioned there are a lot more people willing to place a $1,000 refundable deposit down than are willing to lose it completely by confirming before they can sit in it. You're right though, they won't have them real quick, I'd say end of August maybe middle of September before they have them at the showrooms.

It's been on the 3 FAQ page forever.

Model 3 Reservations FAQ

Of course, it doesn't say exactly *when*.

From the above link:

When can I test drive Model 3?
We will provide the opportunity to get behind the wheel of Model 3 once we begin production.

I hope that "get behind the wheel" means take it for a test drive. The car is so big that I want to drive it, not just sit in it, before I make a commitment. I think they should invite Roadster owners with Model 3 reservations to take a good long test drive. :)

I know there is a private viewing in a few days followed by the official final reveal in July... But, when do you think regular people can sit in one to make final judgment on their purchase decision? Are the seats comfortable? Are the interior materials of satisfactory quality? Do I fit? Is egress easy? Rear visibility, Etc.

This comes from Tesla model 3 FAQ page: "When can I test drive Model 3?

We will provide the opportunity to get behind the wheel of Model 3 once we begin production. In the meantime, we invite you to stop by a Tesla store to experience Model S or Model X.

This comes from Tesla model 3 FAQ page: "When can I test drive Model 3?

We will provide the opportunity to get behind the wheel of Model 3 once we begin production. In the meantime, we invite you to stop by a Tesla store to experience Model S or Model X.

I quoted this two posts above yours. The problem is that "get behind the wheel" could mean drive it, or it might just mean sit in it.