Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When does a Model S become a 2016?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is a "single buyer" who would not care about that difference in build dates: me. And I'm sure there are others. But only those who fully understand that Tesla pays no attention to the traditional "model year" concept. Many people would assume there is a difference, so to them the build date would matter.

Tesla is really like an aircraft manufacturer.
On an airplane if you need a part you look at the serial number, because changes are continually made to improve the product regardless of the calendar year of manufacturer. So for example cars that are 75000- 84000 are identical even though car 75500 is a 2019 model year and car 83700 is a 2020 model year.

Just so that we're clear on this. The production of cars is not sequential by the sequence number in the VIN. The car with sequence number 84000 in the VIN can be produced before the car with the 75000 sequence number in the VIN. I believe that Tesla uses other numbers to track the cars as they are produced and the VIN is only added towards the end of production. Note the sticker on the tail gate that has several numbers and not just the VIN. My bet would be that one of those is actually fairly sequential with production.

There is a "single buyer" who would not care about that difference in build dates: me. And I'm sure there are others. But only those who fully understand that Tesla pays no attention to the traditional "model year" concept. Many people would assume there is a difference, so to them the build date would matter.

So in my scenario, would you choose the 2014 car over the 2015 car?

Just so that we're clear on this. The production of cars is not sequential by the sequence number in the VIN. The car with sequence number 84000 in the VIN can be produced before the car with the 75000 sequence number in the VIN. I believe that Tesla uses other numbers to track the cars as they are produced and the VIN is only added towards the end of production. Note the sticker on the tail gate that has several numbers and not just the VIN. My bet would be that one of those is actually fairly sequential with production.

Good catch. You are of course correct. I should have added that.

Come on guys, it's a no brainer issue. Yes, there is no difference in the cars made right before the cutover to a new year and the ones produced after the cutover. Tesla is like no other car company in this regard. They add new features and upgrades as they become available. In fact, I'm sure Tesla would go out of their way to not do any changes whatsoever to a new model year. That's how they keep this thing going. If they ever did, people would start holding off buying a car waiting for the next model year, as is done with every other car made. Some would buy the older model but would expect a heavy discount to the price for buying last years leftover model. Having said this, people a foolish to think that only mileage and equipment is a factor in used prices. Tesla owners like to think this, but in reality a later year is still a newer car. Everything else being the same, who in their right mind would choose an older model over a newer one?

Tesla is not unique in this. Ferrari does the exact same thing. Really, all the European car companies do it this way, although they do tweak things a little bit to play the game in the US. My Porsche Cayman is a 2014, built in late June, and identical to the "2015" models which were built in July.

Come on guys, it's a no brainer issue. Yes, there is no difference in the cars made right before the cutover to a new year and the ones produced after the cutover. Tesla is like no other car company in this regard.

Yes, I would rather buy a car that's three months younger, all else being equal. But, knowing what I know about Tesla, assuming there were no significant changes between then, I would treat the same any three month difference - August to November or October to January ("next model year").

To give you a background, I've postponed delivery to 2016 for tax reasons. So few minutes ago I've missed a call from Tesla (caller # in Palo Alto). Voicemail was proposing a late December delivery with 2016 VIN.

As far as I understand, in order to do so, they have to start production really soon and badge 2016 VIN on it, so probably they are already doing that for everyone.

PS: I'm hoping those of you waiting for 2016 VIN will make your order, because after 3 calls and 1 email like that I can see their effort in meeting yearly goal. They need it, please help if all you care about is VIN.
PPS: on previous calls and email new VIN wasn't mentioned, just faster delivery

^^^ I was in the EXACT same boat. Got the call today, said they would make exception and give a 2016 VIN with delivery around Christmas. Is perfect because for tax purposes 2015 is better!! Still trying to digest the fact I will have a Tesla in about 3 weeks!!!

To give you a background, I've postponed delivery to 2016 for tax reasons. So few minutes ago I've missed a call from Tesla (caller # in Palo Alto). Voicemail was proposing a late December delivery with 2016 VIN.

As far as I understand, in order to do so, they have to start production really soon and badge 2016 VIN on it, so probably they are already doing that for everyone.

PS: I'm hoping those of you waiting for 2016 VIN will make your order, because after 3 calls and 1 email like that I can see their effort in meeting yearly goal. They need it, please help if all you care about is VIN.
PPS: on previous calls and email new VIN wasn't mentioned, just faster delivery
Just curious, how does a 2016 VIN delivered this year help you? Isn't the tax credit based on the year of delivery?

^^^ I was in the EXACT same boat. Got the call today, said they would make exception and give a 2016 VIN with delivery around Christmas. Is perfect because for tax purposes 2015 is better!! Still trying to digest the fact I will have a Tesla in about 3 weeks!!!

We got the same call. My wife called back and got confirmation email for 2016 VIN and delivery in December to qualify for the tax credit....PROBLEM: The VIN that posted the very same day was a 2015 VIN with a "F" instead of a "G". She is dealing with that now and won't accept the delivery if they don't get this right. For the tax credit you just need to take delivery within 2015. VIN doesn't matter as long as the transaction is finalized. I don't particularly care about which year it is but my wife does and it is primarily her car so she can deal with it. I wouldn't want to be the person at the other end if she doesn't get what she was promised in writing is all I can say.

We got the same call. My wife called back and got confirmation email for 2016 VIN and delivery in December to qualify for the tax credit....PROBLEM: The VIN that posted the very same day was a 2015 VIN with a "F" instead of a "G". She is dealing with that now and won't accept the delivery if they don't get this right. For the tax credit you just need to take delivery within 2015. VIN doesn't matter as long as the transaction is finalized. I don't particularly care about which year it is but my wife does and it is primarily her car so she can deal with it. I wouldn't want to be the person at the other end if she doesn't get what she was promised in writing is all I can say.

When did you place your order, and what spec did you get (70, 70D, 85, 85D, 90, 90D, P90D, or P90DL)? I placed my order for a 90D back on 10/22 (for a 2016) and haven't gotten a call, so I am curious.

Order was placed 11/13 (I think) for a 85D.

Update on the 2015 VIN. My wife called and was told the VIN was computer generated and distributed via email. That the VIN would be updated with a 2016 code and that delivery should be sometime just after Christmas. Our order was placed for a 2016 as well with the promise of a 2016 VIN. If we get a 2016 VIN and take delivery in 2015 for the tax credit and get to enjoy the car during the holidays when we are not so busy with work that would be sweet.

Now the concern will be will quality go down because they are trying to jam production into that last weeks of December.

Order was placed 11/13 (I think) for a 85D.

Update on the 2015 VIN. My wife called and was told the VIN was computer generated and distributed via email. That the VIN would be updated with a 2016 code and that delivery should be sometime just after Christmas. Our order was placed for a 2016 as well with the promise of a 2016 VIN. If we get a 2016 VIN and take delivery in 2015 for the tax credit and get to enjoy the car during the holidays when we are not so busy with work that would be sweet.

Now the concern will be will quality go down because they are trying to jam production into that last weeks of December.

Yeah that is a valid concern, but will be nice to enjoy it before the busy season. What part of the country are you in?