Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When does charging begin?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I use my MS mostly as a weekend car and so during the weekdays it is usually plugged in, with scheduled charging enabled. I have noticed about 3-4 miles worth of vampire drain over 2 days and upto 7 miles after 5 days.
However, I notice that the car only charges if I unplug the charging cable/take it for a drive. Is there a way to keep the car always charged to the set limit without having to unplug? Is there a setting that I am missing?

While it’s plugged in the car charges the battery to your set limit, then allows vampire drain to drop the SOC by 3%, then it will charge again to your set limit. Depending on where you catch it in the cycle the car could be a few percent less than your set limit, but no more than 3% less.

The car does this because it’s better for the battery than to continually get a trickle charge and there is no way to change this behavior. If you really need that last 3% the only option is to raise your charge limit by 3%

Last edited: