TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

When does M3 go for EPA filing?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Waiting4M3, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Waiting4M3

Waiting4M3 Active Member

After hearing about the recent delay in MS 100D delay at the EPA, now I'm wondering when Tesla will submit the M3 for EPA approval. The MS 100D took 2 months if I heard right, so if Tesla wants to release the M3 in July, they will probably need to submit to EPA in May. Does anyone know if there are way to find these filings?

2. Frank Schwab

Frank Schwab Member

I'm sure that the Tesla employees responsible for getting EPA results are working closely with the EPA to prevent a recurrence of what happened - either by submitting early enough to deal with a "don't give a crap" attitude, or scheduling time with specific EPA employees/teams if they actually care.

3. JoaoD

JoaoD Member

The production of the Model 3 is projected to start in July in the best scenario possible. I don't think they will send a Car for EPA approval 2 months before the production is even ready to start.

4. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

Bolt EPA ratings were released in September. Main production started in October.

• Informative x 2
  5. melindav

melindav ☰ reserved

There was a post recently, maybe when the 100D first was noticed to be delayed, that the vast majority of 'EPA ratings' are accepted by EPA from the manufactures provided data and the agency does not run its own tests. IIRC, it was something around 85%. So expect that is how the Bolt received its rating prior to production.
    I think part of the issue with the 100D was due to timing. Not to take this in a political direction, but it's been reported that many departments within EPA have essentially been blocked from performing their job since he chance in power.

• Informative x 1
  6. VIKING26

VIKING26 Member

Conspiracy theory....Trump's cutting the EPA solely to delay the M3. Less funding means less employees which means processing and approving will take longer. He probably shorted TSLA a while back. ;)

• Disagree x 1
  7. RiverBrick

RiverBrick Active Member

The information does become public, so Tesla may intentionally delay filing in order to keep range and battery size options secret as long as possible.