Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When does Reduced Regen go away?

At what state of charge to you have full regen available?

• >95%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 90%-95%

• 80%-85%

• <70%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm curious at what point your car gives you full regen?

When I first got my car, i'd charge to 85% every night, and by the time I got to 84%, i'd have full regen available. Over the past few months, it's been changing down.

Now I don't get full regen until about 75%. Above 76%, I always have at least these few bars of reduced regent and it's surprisingly noticeable when slowing to a stop. Car charges every night in a garage and temperatures have been consistent when comparing to the regen I was seeing last year at this time, so temperature is not a factor.

reduced-regen.jpg

As other have noted. There are at least two different things that affect Regen. State of Charge, and Battery Temperature. In order to solve for one variable you have to negate the other. The easiest one to solve for is SOC, because you can ensure your battery is warm by various means. Solving for Battery temperature is more complicated, and requires more detailed instrumentation.

As other have noted. There are at least two different things that affect Regen. State of Charge, and Battery Temperature. In order to solve for one variable you have to negate the other. The easiest one to solve for is SOC, because you can ensure your battery is warm by various means. Solving for Battery temperature is more complicated, and requires more detailed instrumentation.

I'll try to keep a log with state of charge and temperature. Hopefully it's just something with the current firmware.

I'll try to keep a log with state of charge and temperature. Hopefully it's just something with the current firmware.

Unless you have the ability to monitor the CANbus, you won't have a valid temperature measurement.

You could do this...make sure that your car does not show any dots in the power bar indicating loss of regen, THEN charge to your testing SOC. This should take care of the battery temp variable. Then you can run the SOC down to find the point where you regain your regen back. Multiple runs would even out any variability.

In my experience reduced regen occurs anytime the battery is at about 70F or lower. You really don't notice the reductions until the dots get most of the way to the center. When you have only a few dots you normally aren't losing much regen because the power line rarely gets that far over to the left.

You can't just vote on that, and be correct. It isn't just a state of charge deal, it's a state of charge vs temperature deal. The hotter that battery is, the more state of charge it can have and still take full regen.

State of Charge

Temperature

Both important in determining how much regen you get.

This^^^^^
The temperature of the battery is the biggest factor.

I think others have addressed battery temperature, I'll address another point.

The 3 or 4 dots on the regen bar are almost certainly unnoticeable had you not seen a visual indicator of reduced regen, a sort of placebo effect. Full regen power is really only possible above... 70 km/h or so? So unless you're traveling at highway speeds you won't notice it, and regen force is already reduced at that speed since it would otherwise exceed the maximum regen power. If you can feel the (at most) few percent difference, I applaud your very precisely tuned inner ear! Once you're going slower you'll have full regen force anyways.

EDIT: To participate in the question, at 96% I have effectively no regen, almost no dots at 85% in summer, same with about 80% when cooler, and varies immensely in Winter even with slight temperature differences.

It's a combination of temperature an state of charge.
The display has changed in recent updates.

Remember the reduced regen is a slider, you generally only have some reduced regen, NOT no regen.

Reduced regen is not a fault, only an indication that the car may drive a little differently.

It's not as big of a deal as people make it. When you first started driving the car, you complained about too much regen, now it's too little.

Reactions: toolman335
Reactions: ybbor
Im in Miami and seeing regen limited to now. Even at 85 soc and a long hard drive I have dots. It boggles my mind that this car doest have more detailed instruments like other cars. Especially on the P models where guys are tracking and driving them hard . We need info like engine temps battery temps, tire temps, hp and torque gauges and g meters. *sugar* 0-60 timer would be great to.

Certainly high SOC will impact this, but in the more recent releases, I find pretty much EVERY morning I get the "regenerative braking reduced" message and the car is about 60 and the outside is about 50-55. I'm not sure if this is actually NEW or just new notifications