TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

When does Tesla change model year designation?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by DFWM3, Jul 24, 2018.

1. DFWM3

DFWM3 Member

When during the calendar year does Tesla change the model year designation for its cars? I realize that they make improvements all the time and do not operate as other car companies do.

2. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Literally at midnight on January 1st.

Tesla originally did not want "model years" but it seems established organizations like the DOT in the US and Transport Canada here in Canada require it.

• Informative x 1
  3. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure This All Out

Yeah I think it's VIN driven but they have some slack when they first produce the cars. For example the first Model X's were built in 2015 but all were 2016 Model Year cars.

• Like x 1
  4. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

It seems that they start using the next year VINs in the last couple weeks of the year.

• Like x 1
  5. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Hmm maybe they are now, but back in the 2012 2013 timeframe they were literally going by the calendar. If it rolled off December 31st vs. January 1st they were different "model years"".

• Like x 1
  6. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

I suspect that they ran into problems with people complaining about, or refusing delivery of, "last years" VIN too many times.

• Like x 2
  7. jeffro01

jeffro01 Active Member

Indeed... Come here every end of the year and see people whining incessantly about "last years" VIN... It's beyond ridiculous but it happens literally every Dec/Jan on TMC...

Jeff

• Like x 1
  8. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

Is insurance cheaper for older MY?

I’ve never tried to sell a Tesla and maybe I’m not a representative of a buyer but I would be looking for AP2 vs AP1 if it was a 2016 Tesla.

You shop on features not years for Tesla. “Years” means something for other cars but not Tesla.

Market doesn’t process this? I wonder how can information assymetry can be exploited.

• Like x 1
  9. dhh12

dhh12 Member

I got my car Dec 24 - it was built the week before - seems to go by calendar not anything else

10. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

This is the "problem". Traditional auto makers seem to change or add features by the model year. Not Tesla. The way they deliver cars is like seeing 5 or 10 "model years" every year.

And it can work against you too: I know someone who pays higher insurance because his car, based on the model year, did not have forward collision alert and automatic emergency braking (Insurance companies give breaks for these features). When the features were subsequently added via firmware updates, he went to his insurance company, but they were unable to do anything for him because as far as they were concerned, his car didn't "come with those features".

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1