Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When does the front motor kick in?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ive been wondering under what conditions the front and rear motors are used.

I assume under hard acceleration both are used, but what about freeway cruising? Stop and go?

It would be neat if Tesla had a graphic animation that showed which of the motors were being used at a given time. At the very least, it would be cool to know how much use time is on each (eg 78 hours on front, 122 hours on rear).

Tesla probably changed the way power is split between front and back on the Model 3 due to the rear PM motor but I’ll give my experience based on my Model S anyways.

Light acceleration/Cruising below ~50mph is RWD
Light acceleration/Cruising above ~50mph is FWD

Hard acceleration anytime is AWD split 50/50 between the front and back on my 75D. Performance Model S/X would give even more power to the rear motor under hard accel.

This data was obtained with ScanMyTesla which unfortunately doesn’t work with the Model 3 because Tesla basically changed how everything worked.

I'd like to know also. When I accelerate quicker than normal I can feel a push from behind and the fronts aren't fighting me (no torque steer). Usually FWD-biased cars rear their ugly heads when you accelerate hard, and the M3 does NOT pull, it pushes from the rear or maybe evenly.

The AWD isn't intrusive, similar to my WRXs, which is nice. I'm looking forward to the snow.

Reactions: jkirkwood001