Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When does VIN's get assigned?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry if this is answered somewhere before...

But...when does VIN's actually get assigned...

Is it typically when the ships are close to the Panama Canal? If yes - then why there?

Or is it typically when the ship reached Zeebrugge?

Or...when?

Does anyone have a pretty firm answer to this?

THANKS !!!

It's usually when the car gets permanently assigned to you, a few days before delivery.

This allows Tesla to hedge their bets and reassign cars if something happens. It wouldn't be fun if your car was damaged as it unloaded.

Just wait, it will come.

Hi.

Well - as I can read there are different indications as to when VIN is assigned.

I know of a couple og guys here in Denmark who had their VIN's shortly after ordering their car late January, compared to me ordering mine on January 5th - in the exact same configuration as theirs, but I have no VIN. And that seems a bit strange doesn't it?

Not really sure what is 100% correct - so I guess I will have to wait.

General consensus on tff-forum.de is that prior to this year's shipments the VIN assignment for Model 3 has always happened within a couple of days of the ship passing the Panama canal, the latest ships may, however, have had their VIN numbers assigned just prior to reaching the canal.
From the boards there I also know that pretty much everyone who has ordered a Model 3 in Germany around your time should get their cars by end of March at the latest. I would assume Denmark to be similar.
Don't fret too much about it. It can't be helped and in Germany it's the same thing, many people have reported not having a VIN when others who have ordered the same config later already had theirs. It could always be worse. I'm getting my Model 3 next Tuesday (knock on wood) and I've been waiting since middle of September...

I am presently 2-5 weeks from delivery, and don't know what this means.
I have no VIN and the count-down projected window of delivery is provided by automated text message that has not changed since ordering over five weeks ago.
The car is said to be delivered to me in Fairbanks Alaska, which is many days of barge from California and then a train ride from Anchorage.
It would seem to me that a delivery window should shrink as the projected date gets closer.
And why am I so ignorant of what is going on?
There is NO EV infrastructure here in Fairbanks so I have no idea who they are contracting with to make the delivery.
Any view into delivery is appreciated.