Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When does your DS first contact you with REAL progress info?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New guy here... (P90DL, Early Feb Confirmation, VIN 38XX, "Late April-May" delivery)

My DS has not been particularly helpful in ANY regard. At least not yet... Pretty much just "I'll let you know when I know something". I have a hunch I'm not alone in this...

- At what point does the DS actually get some solid info on the status of a vehicle? Start of Production?

- What are the other milestones during the production/delivery process that the DS will be aware of (and hopefully inform ME of)? End of Production? When Shipped? When Delivered? etc...

I'm just trying to set my expectations as to the level of information I may (or may not) receive...

Thanks!

The answer is never! I have not gotten a call or email or anything from my DS and I reserved my car early 2014. Don't bother, just call them, call the delivery department and call Fremont corporate. Be proactive and get information yourself.

My experience has been that Tesla contacts you when they want your money (either to confirm an order to lock it in or to get paid for a car that has been ordered be that being paid early or to tell you when it will be available for pick up).

- At what point does the DS actually get some solid info on the status of a vehicle? Start of Production?

The DS is supposed to know when the car is in painting, assembly line, inspection, delivery to your local Tesla dealer. Lastly, time for the pick up.

- What are the other milestones during the production/delivery process that the DS will be aware of (and hopefully inform ME of)? End of Production? When Shipped? When Delivered? etc...

The DS should have a separate computer showing the status of your car if your car is in production, which part of the production etc. The DS will also call you for payment options, home charging options and schedule for a pick up.

This is why you should be actively call and find out the status yourself. The DS knows more than you think but they don't always let you know the status because it's not close to finishing production yet or they just too busy or they just don't care. It really depends on who you have as DS.

Hopefully it helps

Thanks
ModelXBoy

Last edited:
My car was actually finished and my DS never let me know. He said he would let me know when it is assigned to transport, and that did not happen. About 10 days ago my car was already on the train. He did not tell me when it actually shipped, but said it would get to the east coast late this week. He also said that he would contact me when Inspection is complete to schedule delivery. My opinion is that it is already longer than needed. He should let me know when the car is there, and then make a tentative appointment 3 business days after the car arrives. It could still be pushed up if something is wrong, but I think it would be better doing it this way because the alternative would simply add x number of days.

The amount of information you can expect from your DS depends on who your DS is. Some are more proactive, an others give you answers without telling you what you actually want to know.

My DS has been fantastic, but maybe my expectations are low: I have sent him about 15 emails in the last 3-4 days and he usually responds within 30 minutes to them all. Most of my questions right now are related to coordinating securing my loan through a CU, but some were related to delivery timeline and delivery day experience. I have the "late may/june" delivery, but he did tell me it would likely be more mid to late june. While not very specific, it was helpful in tempering my excitement a little. Besides paying for the car, I don't think he could be serving me any better. FWIW...

New guy here... (P90DL, Early Feb Confirmation, VIN 38XX, "Late April-May" delivery)

My DS has not been particularly helpful in ANY regard. At least not yet... Pretty much just "I'll let you know when I know something". I have a hunch I'm not alone in this...

I'm just trying to set my expectations as to the level of information I may (or may not) receive...

Thanks!

Just realized you sprung for the highest model and yet are still receiving that kind of service: bad luck and sorry to hear that. If you're in phoenix - my DS is Bryan.

I had a good experience with my DS. He reached out via phone when the car was about to go into production (mid-march), then again when it was finishing up production (april 1), then when it arrived at the SC (april 12), and lastly, when it was ready to be picked up (april 14th). I never harassed him because I know when he did contact me, it would be to relay progress towards delivery. I think my DS was professional and always upbeat and responsive to my requests. For example, before I took delivery of the car, I asked whether my car would be part of the 3rd row seat recall and he confirmed that it wasn't. Great experience overall with him and with Tesla.

This will be my 3rd Tesla and sadly the X delivery has to be the worst of the 3. I placed my order in March (I know, later than most here), and got an estimated delivery date of late April-May. After the order, I got an email from my DS saying that delivery would be in July. I emailed him ask him if there is anyway it would be sooner as I already sold my S. He said, probably not because a new factory schedule was released due to euro deliveries starting soon. This was around the same time the 3rd row recall was announced.

Fast forward to today, I go and pay him a visit and ask him what's going on. He now tells me that I requested a July delivery date. I always told him and even when I spoke on the phone with someone at HQ that I needed the car as soon as possible. He said that I would be pretty much be joining the back of the line with people that ordered today.

I know others have been waiting much longer than me and that I accept. I'm not looking to get any sympathy, because I feel bad for those early VIN folks who hasn't received a car yet. But the communication at Tesla is getting worse and worse. Forget trying to get an email reply from someone at HQ and I feel like my DS is not being entirely truthful at times.

My advice like others on this thread is to take action and be persistent. Visit your DS in person if you have the time, especially if they aren't answering your calls/emails.

Most of us here have sprung for at least $110 or more. $10-$20k is not really that important as far as how much enthusiasm or respect we have a right to expect. Even people how buys the lowest trim 75D at $83k deserves the same respect, thought we all know that those cars will begin production later. A later production date has nothing to do with respect. Just saying because I keep noticing that people still thing they or others deserve more respect than the rest.

Reactions: MarkoC

Apparently never. My DS has been less than helpful the entire time. Almost all outreach has been from me, and it either gets ignored or goes for days/weeks without a reply.

I certainly never got notified when it entered production, only when it was time to pay. They gave me about 2-3 days to deal with trade-in, choosing how to buy, etc. (Then they didn't deliver the car on time anyway, so that as all wasted)

What are the other milestones during the production/delivery process that the DS will be aware of (and hopefully inform ME of)? End of Production? When Shipped? When Delivered? etc...

Thanks!

The only milestone I got from my DS was a delivery date & time (yay!) and then a call at 10pm the night before calling it off. That was more than a month ago. Still in limbo, and what very little information I've gotten in the last month has all been proactive on my part, not his.

Hope your experience is better. Some other forum members seem to have great DSes.

Just realized you sprung for the highest model and yet are still receiving that kind of service: bad luck and sorry to hear that. If you're in phoenix - my DS is Bryan.

Yes... Over $150K with ALL options. I've never been treated so indifferently by the mfr for a car purchase of this magnitude - (or ANY car purchase for that matter)... I guess we should all be glad they are simply willing to take our money! No need for any updates - just call me when you want me to give you a big ole bag of money (please, please, please)...

Meanwhile it appears the factory is randomly configuring cars, then pulling VIN's out of a Scrabble Bag to see if they can find a lucky owner who matches all the randomly assembled options...

By far my worst car buying experience ever. The vehicle is going to have to work very hard to make up for this...

Updated my location so folks know I'm dealing with a DS out of the Chicago area. The SC is about 90 miles away so I can't just pop over there and have a sit down with my DS...

Reactions: Colby Boles
My DS reached out regarding mid-April delivery date, so we sold my car. Since then, he has nothing of consequence to add, always repeating the same "non-information." Sad state of affairs when customers cannot get up-to-date information. I hope this is resolved before they roll out the Model 3s.
So, long story short, don't expect much from your DS and perhaps take what is said with a grain of salt.
Feeling very frustrated in Golden!

I don't think I've ever been reached out to by any individual at Tesla; all the communication has either been initiated by me or a system-generated message. About 3/4 of the time when they say "we'll get back to you" they don't unless I remind them once or twice. When I've reached out for information the responses have been terse. I'm asking for something a little unusual (factory delivery from out of state); my sense from the folks in the process is that they view this as a pain, not one that quite meets the standard of them saying directly to me "you are asking for something unreasonable that we are not interested in fulfilling" but one that it appears that few of them have the time, energy, or interest in supporting... their emails do a good job of conveying the message of an eye-roll emoji through their text.

The message I've received in a nutshell is this - yes, your VIN has been assigned (58xx); yes, the system says you're late-April to May; no we don't know when you'll actually be delivered; no we don't know if it's actually in production; we'll tell you when the car is completely done and ready for pickup and not before; at that point you better hustle your way out to California because we won't hold the car for long; and no, we won't give you anything further to go on to buy plane tickets - you'll only know when the car is completely done and ready for pickup because we don't want to be accountable for any slippage in the delivery schedule.

So, to answer OP directly, I don't think the system is set up currently to proactively inform customers of much of anything. Actually, I don't particularly fault the individual DS's involved; it appears to me that the way Tesla is handling the revenue side of their business is to understaff and, I would speculate, underpay their service team. The overall organization is young, green, and feels to me populated with a "startup bro" culture rather than with a mature, professional, service culture. I'm not even that frustrated or pissed off; at this point I think it's kinda comical, really, to compare this experience to what I've seen buying BMWs either through a dealer or through performance center or european delivery - it's such a different experience it's as if they were completely different product categories.

Given Tesla's short history and cash flow I'm not sure I can disagree with their choice from a business perspective - capital is expensive, cash burn is off the charts high, and scaling up engineering, production, and the gigafactory have to be top priorities for investment. Their PR efforts appear to be paying off in terms of long reservation queues. Bleeding edge early adopters like us are willing to accept a Walmart service experience at Nordstrom prices and even offer indefinite duration zero interest loans because it's part of the early adopter "tax". Given that, why invest in the sales / on boarding process at this point? But if they're actually going to fulfill their promise as a global premium car company over the long run, they'll have some rebuilding to do.