Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When does your rate plan change to TOU? [after PTO with solar - PGE]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm new to solar and got PTO almost a month ago. I'm in PG&E territory with a CCA, but PG&E handles billing and rate plans and online account management and such. As part of the interconnect agreement and for NEM, I expected to be transitioned to TOU-C plan, but currently I still see that I'm on E-1 tiered plan. I got PTO a few days after a billing cycle ended, and this next one which would have been mostly post-PTO should be wrapping up soon. Will this current cycle still be on E-1, and would NEM credits be at E-1 rates? Will the next new full cycle transition to TOU-C? I just want to make sure something wonky didn't happen as the "voluntary" transition to TOU rates was also happening around this time and my solar hadn't even been installed yet, so I had no idea when the project would be completed and thus I opted to stay on E-1 back then thinking I'd move to TOU-C once the solar was done. Thanks in advance for any experiences you can share.

It will take 1 to 3 billing cycles for PG&E to catch up to the default TOU-C, when it happens the first Blue bill you get will be a corrections bill. My PTO was beginning of April but it took them 2 billing cycles to put me on TOU-C, strangely they also cancelled my E-1 for March and credited me all charges since the beginning of March. I assume you have online access to your PG&E account, eventually you will see the new NEM service in your account and can download the Black bill, but it will take at least 2 months for you to see it.

Reactions: hwangja
So I just got my first PG&E/SVCE bill after getting PTO, and I'm super confused. I don't see any mention of any sort of NEM or any generation credits at all. In the online portal, I've been clearly generating excess since PTO and the projected bill estimate was something like -$90.

The billing period is from 6/22 to 7/21. I received PTO on 6/28 and turned on my solar and the meter has been running backwards since then. I typically average about 10-12kWh of home consumption per day and have been generating an average of 25kWh per day from my 4kW system, so I've been sending back to the grid on average around 15kWh per day since 6/28 and would have expected to see a net generation credit of around 280kWh very roughly.

However, I was billed for 210kWh of consumption, which is an average of around 7kWh/day, which seems way lower than typical if I didn't have solar. Plus, on 6/25, I purchased a PHEV and charged up ~15kWh, so the actual per day usage since 6/28 PTO is even below 7kWh/day. Something is really wonky. Any ideas why the bill doesn't match the online portal and there's zero mention anywhere of any sort of NEM or net generation credit? I've downloaded the data from the Tesla app to compare against PG&E online data and it's pretty close (after I factor in the flipped sign on grid consumption vs. production).

1627633351337.png
1627633479670.png

Last edited:
So I just got my first PG&E/SVCE bill after getting PTO, and I'm super confused. I don't see any mention of any sort of NEM or any generation credits at all. In the online portal, I've been clearly generating excess since PTO and the projected bill estimate was something like -$90.

The billing period is from 6/22 to 7/21. I received PTO on 6/28 and turned on my solar and the meter has been running backwards since then. I typically average about 10-12kWh of home consumption per day and have been generating an average of 25kWh per day from my 4kW system, so I've been sending back to the grid on average around 15kWh per day since 6/28 and would have expected to see a net generation credit of around 280kWh very roughly.

However, I was billed for 210kWh of consumption, which is an average of around 7kWh/day, which seems way lower than typical if I didn't have solar. Plus, on 6/25, I purchased a PHEV and charged up ~15kWh, so the actual per day usage since 6/28 PTO is even below 7kWh/day. Something is really wonky. Any ideas why the bill doesn't match the online portal and there's zero mention anywhere of any sort of NEM or net generation credit? I've downloaded the data from the Tesla app to compare against PG&E online data and it's pretty close (after I factor in the flipped sign on grid consumption vs. production).

View attachment 689840View attachment 689841
This is going to be a process you are going to have to walk though. Several of us have reported not getting any credit for generation at first.
(Once you get your black and white bill you will see that there are separate channels for grid draw vs grid push.)
Sometimes the size of the PV system is not represented correctly so your export credits are limited.
(I noticed you said being moved from NEM 1.0 to 2.0 so did you totally replace your previous PV system or added a second one on?)

There are multiple threads on this so I'd recommend you use the search function and browse for a bit.

Reactions: hwangja

I had the same type of "blue" bill for the first month after PTO. The "blue" bill for the second month then had several pages of corrections that fixed everything back to the PTO date.

I had the same type of "blue" bill for the first month after PTO. The "blue" bill for the second month then had several pages of corrections that fixed everything back to the PTO date.
I called SVCE who directed me to the PG&E solar hotline and they basically confirmed your experience. They said it might take a couple of billing cycles for NEM to kick in and for generation credits to start showing, but once it does, they would correct everything back to the PTO date. Thanks for everyone's help.