Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What some folks don't get is, it's not what they did . . . it is how they did it. No notice, no choice. Some of you may be happy to have someone call the shots for you or tell you how to live but there are others who want to have a chance to make a choice. Not a big deal, really, but a fundamental American value. It is bad enough when governments dictate what an individual does but when private industry does it, I am very concerned. Thats just me. If it is not you, so be it. Enjoy!

What some folks don't get is, it's not what they did . . . it is how they did it. No notice, no choice. Some of you may be happy to have someone call the shots for you or tell you how to live but there are others who want to have a chance to make a choice. Not a big deal, really, but a fundamental American value. It is bad enough when governments dictate what an individual does but when private industry does it, I am very concerned. Thats just me. If it is not you, so be it. Enjoy!

I completely agree. This is not a coffee machine we are talking about here. We all paid good money to OWN this vehicle. The absolute LEAST they could do is tell us ahead of time any changes they are going to or plan to do to it.

We all have accounts with them on file. A simple email or blog post would have been sufficient. The fact they choose to tell us nothing is insulting.

@mjtgroup and @phat78boy: You guys got it. It is not what but rather how. What happens when Tesla decides to take away something else--radio limited to one station? 85 limited to 40? max speed to 70 MPH? GPS limited to your zip code? Don't worry we have plans to restore full functionality at a later date/time. Now I recognize these are ridiculous, but an argument could easily be made that the changes were made in the interest of safety. OH WAIT!! The dumbing down of the smart air suspension was not done in the interest of safety because the car is still the safest on the road...It was done to make the car better...wait, how is it better?? The only conclusion I can arrive at is that it was done as a PR CYA. Tesla thought it was better to appease a rabid press than look out for the welfare of its loyal customers.

As a rule, Your should not take Any updates if you don't want Any changes. The same applies to your smart phone or computers. The latest and greatest is often not.

It's kinda forced by the annoyance factor. I held out taking v5.8 but the only way around it was to keep resetting the install time every 23 hrs; after 3 days I capitulated.

Cut them a little slack as they battle this, but provide the measured feedback that a) communications must improve, and b) we expect the control back - and better than before - in January.

+1. We should hold Tesla's feet to the fire but 'measured' response is a good way to describe it. BTW, Tesla doesn't have a good history of meeting self-imposed deadlines, so let's hope they hit the January one.

Do not assume that every Tesla customer has the same opinion as you. They very likely do not. Typically, majority rules. Just sayin...

90% of Model S drivers is probably not even aware that they've temporarily (?) lost the lowest suspension setting, because they are not on this forum. They probably haven't noticed any change in driving behavior as well. And neither would most of us, if someone hadn't pointed it out on this forum.

One thing I have not heard in the discussion of the 5.8 suspension change is this: "We are early adopters, we should expect these things."

When people discuss mechanical or fit-finish issues, the first words that are usually thrown around is the "early adopter" thing. Yet now, apparently, we are not to expect the same? I'm not advocating this point of view, necessarily, but I find it interesting that nobody has mentioned it. What's good for the goose is good for the gander, no? As early adopters, are we also not in essence testing a lot of these features and situations for the first time in the wild? Why is it that we are forgiving of Tesla on the one hand with one set of issues, but are so adamant about not cutting them any slack on this issue?

I find it interesting.

While this is true we are all early adopters in a sense the low suspension wasn't disabled for technical reasons or a bug.

90% of Model S drivers is probably not even aware that they've temporarily (?) lost the lowest suspension setting, because they are not on this forum. They probably haven't noticed any change in driving behavior as well. And neither would most of us, if someone hadn't pointed it out on this forum.
^this
All this continued discussion over this is about to make me take a break from TMC. Why are people still posting when there is no new insight, opinion, fact or perspective being offered? All I've read is the same argument from both sides of the fence. Over and over.

I'm going to go drive my car and live my life. Maybe I'll check back in come January.

Seems like the coil suspension folks are not that worked up about it. :)

I have an air suspension. I'm not the least bit worked up over it. I still use the air suspension every day to raise the car for dips and driveways. I'm not about to start a class action lawsuit against Tesla, demand a refund, cry to the moon, for the minute loss of range on freeway speeds in excess of 55 mph, especially when they're saying that eventually I'll have the option to lower the car again if I so choose.

Tesla is facing intense media scrutiny under the circumstances and apparently felt it should raise the height of the car at speeds over 55 mph. Under these exceptional circumstances, I agree with Bonnie and give them the benefit of the doubt, especially since they've earned a lot of capital for what they have added to the car. Concluding from this one action that this is just the slippery slope and we'll be under Communist rule and the car will have none of the features that have been advertised and added over the past year is a knee-jerk, short-sighted reaction.

More fundamentally, it just doesn't make sense from Tesla's point of view to remove functionality. Tesla hasn't achieved its superlative customer service ratings by removing functionality that people have come to love and expect. One of the selling points is that functionality has frequently been added -- I see that you've only had your car for a couple of months, but in the 9 months I've had mine, I can think of a whole range of new functions and improvements that have been added through firmware updates. It isn't in Tesla's interest to remove functionality, so concluding that this is the start of the slippery slope is just not seeing the forest from the trees.

Last edited:
Can the car still be put into low if it is stopped and in park? (my S has been in the body shop since September- This is why I'm asking) My mother is in a nursing home and I take her to the doctor whenever needed and I've been stuck with an Impala rental car that sits kind of high, my back is shot and hurts like hell, when I had the use of my S it made things so much easier and less painful to lift her out of the lowered car to a wheelchair. Thanks!

Can the car still be put into low if it is stopped and in park? (my S has been in the body shop since September- This is why I'm asking) My mother is in a nursing home and I take her to the doctor whenever needed and I've been stuck with an Impala rental car that sits kind of high, my back is shot and hurts like hell, when I had the use of my S it made things so much easier and less painful to lift her out of the lowered car to a wheelchair. Thanks!

Yes, it can.