Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
^this
All this continued discussion over this is about to make me take a break from TMC. Why are people still posting when there is no new insight, opinion, fact or perspective being offered? All I've read is the same argument from both sides of the fence. Over and over.

I'm going to go drive my car and live my life. Maybe I'll check back in come January.

I hear you. I may have to excuse myself from this forum or at least these threads as well. Way too many Trolls here under the guise of being EV enthusiasts when in fact they are here for no other reason than to try and tear them down. I'll be damned if I'm gonna spend the rest of my days defending Tesla to passive aggressive Tools the way I have with my Apple Products.

It's like wrestling with a Pig. All you get is dirty and the Pig likes it. It would appear the same type of holy wars are on the horizon. Ice vehicles vs. Electric vehicles… Holy Carp… really? Is there even a QUESTION? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
It's kinda forced by the annoyance factor. I held out taking v5.8 but the only way around it was to keep resetting the install time every 23 hrs; after 3 days I capitulated.

Sorry to hear that (since you didn't want it). I don't just close the box every day--don't pick a time--a little easier than what (it sounds like) you were doing, but still a bit tedious.

There *might* be a work around. :)

Well holy crap… It seems to have fixed it for me too. I toggled the settings for Regen and rebooted, then I toggled the settings for Steering and Creep and rebooted. My Regen and Sport Steering are back the way they were. Can't tell yet if my acceleration has returned to normal.

But get this guys… this is HUGE if it's true…

I *may* have found a work around for the "no low at freeway speeds setting". In a nutshell, I set my Shocks to "LOW" just before I pulled onto the Freeway and it STUCK! It stayed in Low the whole time I was on the freeway. It stayed in Low until I turned off the vehicle control screen. I can confirm that it showed the Shocks lowering on the screen and it stayed in low until I turned off the Controls Screen. So the work around "may" be to put it in Low just before you get on the freeway and leave the screen up until you get off the freeway. Unfortunately, I can't confirm if it was actually in Low mode because I was alone in the car. I'll bring my kid with me next time or hopefully one of you can confirm that it's working. If so, we can all stop bitching. There's a backdoor… ;) I just hope I didn't blow it by posting it here and they remove it… :D

I tried the same thing (I think others have as well). The low button stayed low, but as soon as the car was rolling you could see the picture of the car move up (to standard) even though the button stayed as is. It was quite apparent when I did it. You might check again.

It can, but low now under 5.8 is not as low as it was prior, by somewhere around 1/2".

Peter

Can the car still be put into low if it is stopped and in park? (my S has been in the body shop since September- This is why I'm asking) My mother is in a nursing home and I take her to the doctor whenever needed and I've been stuck with an Impala rental car that sits kind of high, my back is shot and hurts like hell, when I had the use of my S it made things so much easier and less painful to lift her out of the lowered car to a wheelchair. Thanks!

90% of Model S drivers is probably not even aware that they've temporarily (?) lost the lowest suspension setting, because they are not on this forum.
That's a pretty big assumption -- that people only know or observe things if they're on TMC.

- - - Updated - - -

Can the car still be put into low if it is stopped and in park? (my S has been in the body shop since September- This is why I'm asking) My mother is in a nursing home and I take her to the doctor whenever needed and I've been stuck with an Impala rental car that sits kind of high, my back is shot and hurts like hell, when I had the use of my S it made things so much easier and less painful to lift her out of the lowered car to a wheelchair. Thanks!
Yes, it can, but (for me at least) it seems finicky and even though the UI switches to "Low" the suspension height doesn't actually change.

and lighted visors.

The lighted visor could easily be solved with another push button LED in the headliner similar to the one that is there now only centred on the visor. Lighted visors don't have to mean the light is incorporated into the visor. It would be quick and cost effective.

For the suspension change, I'd suggest that May or June would be more realistic given past performance.

Yes, it can, but (for me at least) it seems finicky and even though the UI switches to "Low" the suspension height doesn't actually change.

^^^this.

I posted earlier about my experiments with Low since the 5.8 update. Bottom line: the suspension will move to the 'new' Low height only when stopped (others have reported seeing the car lower at speeds pushing 100 mph; I haven't verified that), regardless of what the UI says.

And if they don't?

I would say that comment was unnecessarily provocative. Can we let this debate rest until we have new data, facts, TM messaging?

How people react to a Feb 1st miss should be based on multiple factors including HOW TM speaks to things at the time. Maybe they miss because they need more time, or because NHTSA asked them to delay. I was a 5.6 hold-out but I've now taken 5.8 and am willing to wait and give TM and the NHTSA time to sort things out.

Its all too easy to get worked up about violated principles, but reality is more nuanced. Isn't it obvious that TM took action to protect the company, and, consequently, the car owners who need to company to survive, shareholders, who need to stop the price from tumbling, and anyone who is invested in the longterm viability of EVs? If TM removed 1/2 of our horsepower in an update, all the whining would be justified, but a minor correction to auto-lowering in the midst of a true media/PR/safety evaluation crisis was simply a smart move. There isn't anyone here who doesn't want the car to be everything that's been promised, but, every once in a while, we might have to take a step back in order to move forward. We need to be ok with that.

Its all too easy to get worked up about violated principles, but reality is more nuanced. Isn't it obvious that TM took action to protect the company, and, consequently, the car owners who need to company to survive, shareholders, who need to stop the price from tumbling, and anyone who is invested in the longterm viability of EVs? If TM removed 1/2 of our horsepower in an update, all the whining would be justified, but a minor correction to auto-lowering in the midst of a true media/PR/safety evaluation crisis was simply a smart move. There isn't anyone here who doesn't want the car to be everything that's been promised, but, every once in a while, we might have to take a step back in order to move forward. We need to be ok with that.

I agree with you, I'm sure there are plenty of people who won't but you can't make everybody happy all at once.

I don't recall the height differential of coils. But if it exceeds 5/16 inches above the old Standard that would be true. Coil suspension has different stiffness, damping and roll characteristics so I don't think riding lower tells the whole story of driving experience. I would defer to many others on the details.