Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When FSD is feature complete, does Tesla need an Uber like version of Tesla Network to transition to

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla has the ambition of getting Autopilot advanced to Feature Complete Full Self Driving by 2020. At that point they seem to need a special sort of data collection, basically a way of testing Tesla Network Robo Taxi features with a safety driver in place on a massive scale.

Waymo and others have had small test fleets on the road with backup drivers in place for years, sometimes with summoning by app, but never on a large scale.

What would you think of an introduction of Tesla Network with downloadable phone apps like Uber but with cars provided by Tesla owners who want to join up and get beta FSD?

Since there would be a backup driver this ought to be legal or require only minor changes in California. The goal would be the car operating as much as possible entirely on its own and the owner only intervening if necessary. Every intervention would be a flag for fleet learning.

Tesla might be able to put tens of thousands of FSD Tesla Network robotaxis on the road with owner supervision and get the data needed to gradually transition to driverless operation.

Tesla has the ambition of getting Autopilot advanced to Feature Complete Full Self Driving by 2020. At that point they seem to need a special sort of data collection, basically a way of testing Tesla Network Robo Taxi features with a safety driver in place on a massive scale.

Waymo and others have had small test fleets on the road with backup drivers in place for years, sometimes with summoning by app, but never on a large scale.

What would you think of an introduction of Tesla Network with downloadable phone apps like Uber but with cars provided by Tesla owners who want to join up and get beta FSD?

Since there would be a backup driver this ought to be legal or require only minor changes in California. The goal would be the car operating as much as possible entirely on its own and the owner only intervening if necessary. Every intervention would be a flag for fleet learning.

Tesla might be able to put tens of thousands of FSD Tesla Network robotaxis on the road with owner supervision and get the data needed to gradually transition to driverless operation.

Elon has hinted that Tesla is considering launching the Tesla Network before FSD is finished. That way, owners can start making money with their cars sooner and Tesla can use the data to improve the Tesla Network for when robotaxis are ready. We even got a sneak peak at what the Tesla Network app will probably look like. So yes, I think Tesla will launch their Tesla Network with driver supervision.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
...owner supervision and get the data needed to gradually transition to driverless operation...

In the last shareholder meeting, Francois H. already asked about developing a Tesla rider app (just like Uber) so owners can start providing rides without going through Uber and without waiting for driverless perfection.

upload_2019-7-11_12-18-56.png

Elon said it probably makes sense.

That sounds like Tesla human drivers will have to accept dirt cheap pay (or negative income after paying all the expenses) in order to compete with cheap Uber and Lyft.

Uber and Lyft have more premium services (Black/Lux) which include Tesla MS and MX as cars. They are still fairly cheap and obviously subsidized by the investors, so why would anyone choose a service that is at least 2X more expensive (if Tesla wants this to be in any way profitable)?

...if Tesla wants this to be in any way profitable)?

It makes me pause when I heard promised riches. New York Taxi drivers went into debt to get rich but not so fast.

Elon Musk said a Tesla car should be $100k to $200k.

And there are articles claiming that due to all the money coming in from ride-sharing, Tesla cars will be so expensive that it is just like as if Tesla won't sell cars anymore!

Nice in theory, but I am not sure whether reality can always bring promised riches even in the scientific field of Full Self Driving!

No, there are way too many users that will let the car drive in FSD and validate it. Not a need for Waymo scenario.
I dare say that in maybe the first day after introduction, Tesla will generate more Self-driven miles that everyone else has combined.

I could see Tesla doing this if they are required to comply with autonomous vehicle testing rules in California. Waymo has been allowed to have independent contractors test their vehicles after completing training, drug testing, background checks, etc. However they're not yet allowed to charge for rides which seems like a problem.

Interesting thread. I was wondering if, hypothetically, FSD actually works at L5 some year soon -- could I have my car drop me off somewhere then earn money being a premium UBER-LYFT until I need it again. Landed here.

But my thought became "what keeps my car from being stolen, taken offline, and taken to a chop shop?". Don't think I have a good answer. And I'm sure insurance companies would want their premium for commercial use of "robotaxi". 🤔

• Disagree
Reactions: !igs
Interesting thread. I was wondering if, hypothetically, FSD actually works at L5 some year soon -- could I have my car drop me off somewhere then earn money being a premium UBER-LYFT until I need it again. Landed here.

But my thought became "what keeps my car from being stolen, taken offline, and taken to a chop shop?". Don't think I have a good answer. And I'm sure insurance companies would want their premium for commercial use of "robotaxi". 🤔
The chances of this happening with our cars are basically zero.

Reactions: KArnold