Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When "Full Self-Driving Hardware" started production?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Tesla was in production last week (from Oct 10 or 11 to Oct 15). Any chance it has the new hardware?

By saying "All Tesla Cars Being Produced Now" having the new hardware, it is likely that the cars produced a bit before still have a chance?

My Tesla was in production last week (from Oct 10 or 11 to Oct 15). Any chance it has the new hardware?

By saying "All Tesla Cars Being Produced Now" having the new hardware, it is likely that the cars produced a bit before still have a chance?

In the call Elon said all cars produced this week. So I would guess 10/16 and on.

I guess you will find out soon.

After clicking "View Design Spec", it is a pdf file. It says

OPTIONS
Autopilot Convenience Features​

Did not say which generation of hardware. This is the same as the name on my order confirmation pdf file.

(I am from Hong Kong. Not sure if the website is as updated as the US site)

In the call Elon said all cars produced this week. So I would guess 10/16 and on.

That's why I am asking :)

The statement is "All Tesla cars being produced now", or "in production now". If the car is in production last weekend, it is likely that it is still in production so it should still have the new hardware. My car is in production a bit earlier than that though...

After clicking "View Design Spec", it is a pdf file. It says

OPTIONS
Autopilot Convenience Features​

Did not say which generation of hardware. This is the same as the name on my order confirmation pdf file.

(I am from Hong Kong. Not sure if the website is as updated as the US site)

Mine says this as well, and my order was just confirmed a few days ago. I don't know what it means. Do people with pending orders need to contact their DS and add the new AP features? My car likely won't go into production until December.

That language doesn't preclude SOME cars getting that hardware installed earlier than this week.

Agreed (probably because I just hope so strongly).

Note that the event was scheduled this Monday and delayed. This should mean that most of the cars "being produced" before that should have the new hardware. Either a small number of cars with old hardware did not finish production by then, or they need something else to prepare. So they delayed the press release. In any case, the new production process should at least started sometime last week.

You can listen to the conference call HERE. At 18:05 Elon said "we are shipping as of this week". Sounds like 17th October or later will have the new hardware.

When your car arrives, look for 3 cameras behind the rear view mirror. If it doesn't have those, you have two options:
1. Accept delivery of your Autopilot 1.0 car
2. Refuse delivery and eat the deposit you paid (and maybe order a new one).
Image source
ybZNYIR.jpg

Last edited:
The real variable is when the features available on 1.0 hardware will be available on new cars

"Teslas with new hardware will temporarily lack certain features currently available on Teslas with first-generation Autopilot hardware, including some standard safety features such as automatic emergency braking, collision warning, lane holding and active cruise control. As these features are robustly validated we will enable them over the air, together with a rapidly expanding set of entirely new features."

The real variable is when the features available on 1.0 hardware will be available on new cars

"Teslas with new hardware will temporarily lack certain features currently available on Teslas with first-generation Autopilot hardware, including some standard safety features such as automatic emergency braking, collision warning, lane holding and active cruise control. As these features are robustly validated we will enable them over the air, together with a rapidly expanding set of entirely new features."

They are estimating December, 2016: "Tesla’s Enhanced Autopilot software is expected to complete validation and be rolled out to your car via an over-the-air update in December 2016, subject to regulatory approval."

Why does this feel like 2014. . .

It feels exactly like 2014 "D" event. Remember folks, these are all PROMISES of future features. No need to get all upset and trade in your car tomorrow. In 9 months from now, they could still be at feature parity with AP1.0 as they work through some more use cases. By then 110/120KW packs with new 2170 cells might be out, they may release P120Q's as the next best thing, 9.9s 1/4 mile Maximum Plaid, next-next-nextgen seats, folding 2nd row X-seats, and on and on.

Stay off the merry-go-round and enjoy the car and upgrade when and if makes sense to do so.