TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

When I tried charging at the hotel, this is what happened

Discussion in 'Charging Standards and Infrastructure' started by Missile Toad, Aug 4, 2017.

?

When I tried charging at the hotel, this is what happened (pick as many as apply):

This poll will close on Sep 3, 2017 at 12:33 PM.
  1. I attempted to charge or actually charged without seeing another EV charging

78.4%
  2. I took the #2 charging spot, when an incumbent was present

29.4%
  3. I worked out a deal w/ incumbent EVs ( using a paper on their dashboard; or Plugshare)

5.9%
  4. An incumbent EV was charging when I got there, and there was no good way to contact him

5.9%
  5. I went to a NEMA15-20 and got a slow-poke charge when main chargers were unavailable

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. I've never tried hotel destination charging

7.8%
  7. Valets took care of it -- I have no idea how they did it

25.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Missile Toad

Missile Toad Member

Pick up to 3 most frequent occurrences for you:

2. chipmunk

chipmunk Member

Need an option for ICEd. :( LAX Airport Marriott

[​IMG]

3. Missile Toad

Missile Toad Member

Yeah, I hear ya. The thing is, I'm trying to figure out, how we interact between EVs that reached the hotel early and took all the stalls, and those who show up later. -- the phenomena of ICEing will be extinguished in about 20-25 years when ICE cars decline and better laws/signs are around. The long term issue is going to be how well do we EV drivers share, and how the early adopters might serve as good examples to the teaming masses that are on a long waitlist to play in our playground.

Pay it forward.

4. chipmunk

chipmunk Member

In that case, I'd think something like this plackard. We need a modification for Tesla chargers though to text us so we can unlock the plug.

5. JHWJR

JHWJR Member

I called ahead about a week to make sure it worked. i was told that it did and was given instructions on where to find it.

I arrived at my hotel at 1:00 a.m. and found the destination right where they said it would be. I plugged in and got about 32 miles/hour of charge. It was full in the morning. Same experience the following night.

The owner of the hotel -- whom I met at breakfast -- said that the get maybe 4 Tesla's a year, but they see that picking up. They were pleasant. The hotel was the only charging space for many, many, many miles around. And I'd like to give them a friendly bump:

Adobe Naubinway Hotel
    Naubinway Michigan (Upper Penninsula)

Nice folks.

• Like x 5
  6. R0b_

R0b_ Member

ICE'd. Every dang time. I'm no road warrior so the sample size is small... but the charger slots might as well have just been parking spots, because that's how they are treated.
    I had enough charge to get me to the supercharger so I managed just fine, but it would have been nice to skip that 50min charge the next morning!

7. neverdone

neverdone Member

A variety of experiences:
    * Mandalay Bay Las Vegas; valet; fully charged in the morning
    * Platinum Hotel, Las Vegas; valet; fully charged; best valet service we have ever had
    * Grand View Hotel, Grand Junction CO; we were the only Tesla charging; a little sketchy area; will not be back
    * Peppermill Hotel Reno; valet; did not charge the car; said they did but the must not have pressed the cable fully; no big deal since we just had breakfast down the street at the Atlantis where there was a supercharger.
    * Hampton Inn Dallas; we were staying at another hotel but called and asked if we could charge overnight; I am pretty sure they did not know what I was talking about.
    * Sweet Basilica Restaurant in Estes Park CO; good charging; 3 chargers; just once have seen another Tesla charging there.
    * used evgo in Dallas at a city library; very very slow charging; but at least 3 charger spaces.
    [never iced]

• Informative x 1
  8. Missile Toad

Missile Toad Member

So, one of the main reasons I set up this poll, is I would like to be sure not to fall in to the #5 category, which I 'typo'd. I meant to say:
    I went to a NEMA 5-20 and got a slow-poke charge when main chargers were unavailable.
    My sense about how to avoid that happening is to try to check in as early as possible, preferably before dinner time (and before ICEing). From the looks of the poll, so far, this is generally not an issue. Nevertheless, I'm intending to inform my hotel of my intention of using the J1772 or Tesla chargers at least on the day I'm arriving.

9. sdorn

sdorn Director of Awesome

Best way to ensure you will be able to charge, rent an AirB&B or other vacation rental with a dedicated EV charger or accessible 240v outlet verified with host prior to booking. Not a condo or apartment either, an actual free standing home. Shouldn't be any chance of ICEing or another EV taking the charger. Plus you get the benefit of staying in a much larger and nicer place without having to deal with anyone that works at a hotel, and usually the price is the same or better than a mid-range hotel like a Marriott or Hilton.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  10. EVie'sDad

EVie'sDad Member

Or go on the Tesla website and look up under Destination Chargers, this was a great idea and we spent five days in northern Lake Tahoe without ever really needing to rely on the Supercharger network except on the way to and from home. We circled the lake at least two or three times, and every night the car was refilled in less than 3 to 5 hours. Dedicated parking with a Tesla HPWC for our entire vacation, sweet! Great lodging as well.

upload_2017-8-6_23-49-33.png

11. sdorn

sdorn Director of Awesome

You can still get ICE'd or have another Tesla using the charger at locations with Tesla destination chargers. Not really any different than any other EV charger in that regard. Go on Plugshare and read some of the reviews of the bigger chain hotels that have Tesla destination chargers and you'll see it is pretty common for them to be ICE'd or full with other Teslas.

12. Missile Toad

Missile Toad Member

Looking at the poll, so far, there seems to be very minimal contention between early-arriving EVs and later check-in EVs -- since the overwhelming numbers show charging takes place without seeing any other EVs at the hotel. Nevertheless, I see that its about a 50/50 mix when there is contention/congestion ... where about half the time the EV owners get in touch with each other and work out a swap at some point, so the latecomer has a chance. This encourages me to always put my contact details out either in Plugshare or on the dashboard, visible to passers by.

Of course, I'm assuming that the respondents are typical EVs in typical situations... and although I didn't specify U.S. only reports, I'm assuming that non-U.S. countries are experiencing similar patterns. Good comment (above) on the B&B approach. Seems sensible.

• Like x 1