Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When I turn on Airconditioner, Tesla (Solar) app reports strange numbers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've 4.8KW system. I see strange numbers reported by Tesla App when I power-on air conditioner.
  1. Powerwall is fully charged.
  2. During the daytime: Solar panels are generating the power but app reports that all the power is exported to the grid. (I don't even have PG&E permit to export the electricity yet.)
  3. During the nighttime: Similar reporting is observed during nighttime. I would expect Powerwall discharging to support AC but the app continues to report that the solar panels are generating the power and exporting it to the grid. Is this a bug?
I understand that AC is not backed up by the powerwall. but is it the reason why the app reports that the system is exporting energy to the grid?

Attachments

• IMG_9632.PNG
    IMG_9632.PNG
    593.8 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_9631.PNG
    IMG_9631.PNG
    593.6 KB · Views: 97
It sounds like your CT clamps connected to the service/utility lines in your service panel are installed backwards. When your AC is on, you’re importing from the grid but if the CT clamps are backwards, it will report as grid export which also causes the app to show solar generation occurring even though it’s not. This also results in 0 kW home consumption since that’s calculated using solar production and grid import/export, which, in this case is equal thus no home consumption being displayed.

If this is in fact the issue, you can actually fix it yourself fairly easily through the inverter page. You have to access the inverter page directly and there’s an option to “Flip” the CT orientation. Someone documented the steps in r/TeslaSolar subreddit here.