Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When is 2022 Model 3 releasing?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
then you dont drive very far and not very fast.

Last summer’s 7,000 mile road trip disagrees.

Just got back from Orlando last week. That was only 2100 miles so not quite as far but... same thing.

Screen Shot 2020-08-20 at 4.40.57 PM.png

Does the model S plaid plan to use 4680 cells? Look at the range jump from plaid+ to plaid.. thats 520mi to 390mi delta.

An extra 130mi range on a model 3 would be worth an extra 5k to me. So essentially if i know how soon 4680 cells in model 3 is suppose to come out (same with HW4) then I would potentially put off my order.

I am waiting until May 7th or so to put in my order due to 3 months later the recess for political office, and we can only have our order held for 3months. Supposedly biden believes by then there is high potential for infrastructure bills to pass for incentives by that recess.

Plus. End of quarter is July, may be a nice incentive to take deliverh, but doubtful as there are plenty of people accepting it.

presumably your distances are quite low though? i.e. you dont drive 1000 miles in a day?
The point of the range argument is that for 99.9% of drivers, they each have 2 "drive" mode. The "this is a normal day I drive around town and/or commute to work within reasonable distances" and the "we're going on a road trip somewhere". The SR+ range is plenty for those use cases. Anyone arguing otherwise are cherry picking extreme borderline unrealistic counter examples.

Having to drive 100mi+ (I mean 200mi total for the round trip) to work each day is a corner case for which, maybe, ICE is more suited but extremely expensive (fueling at least everyday or every other day!). Traveling non-commute long distances usually involves stopping before an empty tank in which case the EV charging is simply a matter of minor change of habit. You go from fueling once-twice a week to *nothing* (assuming to plug in every night) for daily usage. On long distance travel you go from stopping to fuel (5 min) + anything stop related (eating ~30min + bathroom breaks or stretching or whatever) to 30 min eating while you charge.

It's true that there are some road where charging station aren't as available as what would be ideal but this is less and less true as time goes by. Having more charging options on the road will significantly have a better impact on EV travel seamlessness than greater range than, say 300mi (actual).

My family lives about 7 hours of driving distance from here and it's impossible to do it without stopping at least once, even on an ICE car although I could make it on a full tank. The SR+ would need 2 stops and the LR only one. This will increase your overall travel time by at most 15 min which is within "error bars".

• Love
Reactions: Ron_M3 and dmurphy
The point of the range argument is that for 99.9% of drivers, they each have 2 "drive" mode. The "this is a normal day I drive around town and/or commute to work within reasonable distances" and the "we're going on a road trip somewhere". The SR+ range is plenty for those use cases. Anyone arguing otherwise are cherry picking extreme borderline unrealistic counter examples.

Exactly. Either a 200 mile range is enough for me to get out and back, or I’m going to be stopping no matter what. An extra 50 miles of range doesn’t change the calculus.

As in, there hasn’t been one time where I’ve thought “Wow, if only I had an extra 50 miles of range ....”

Either I’m in my “around town” bubble, or I’m factoring in a few minutes for a stop. Who cares, I’m a coffee addict anyway and if I’m driving >200 miles, I can use a hit of the black stuff.

Reactions: GZDongles
Nobody would ever say "no" to more range. But with the SR+ range, range is less of a factor in the decision making. I ordered the LR because of all the extra features (AWD, premium interior, AB aftersale purchase option, quicker accel, etc). Range was an extra cherry on top, not the main deciding factor as I know the SR+ as enough range for 99.9% of people's needs.

Reactions: DRTII
[/QUOTE]
Does the model S plaid plan to use 4680 cells? Look at the range jump from plaid+ to plaid.. thats 520mi to 390mi delta.

No, 18650s in the regular Plaid S.

[/QUOTE]
An extra 130mi range on a model 3 would be worth an extra 5k to me. So essentially if i know how soon 4680 cells in model 3 is suppose to come out (same with HW4) then I would potentially put off my order.

4680 in a US 3 is years away.

CT, Semi, Plaid+ S/X, and Berlin Y, at the minimum, all come before it.

presumably your distances are quite low though? i.e. you dont drive 1000 miles in a day?
Do you have an Aptera on order? They are promising a 1000 mile range, even if they miss their target by 50% that would still be 500 miles in a reasonably priced vehicle. I have to admit this is the only non-Tesla that intrigues me, mostly because it looks like something George Jetson would drive. The one advantage of having a car that could go 500 miles between charging is that it changes where you stop but not the frequency of stops. Our longest trips are 450 miles and that's the longest possible distance that can be done on a day unless you are staying strictly on interstates. We start at 9 in the morning and don't get back until 11 at night. About half the distance is on highways the rest is on mountain roads in Vermont or coast roads in Maine, there are stops for lunch and dinner and for attractions, lighthouses for example, shopping and touring. In my book there is no point in driving 1000 miles straight on a superhighway, that's why they make airplanes. The longest range car that I've owned was a Volt which has a combined range of about 460 miles, I was able to do a 450 miles without refueling. e still made bathroom stops, we stopped and Duncan Donuts instead of a gas station or a Supercharger. My previous car was a Chrysler 300C AWD which had a hemi, it's range was about the same as the Model 3 because that hemi slurped down gasoline. Stopping at gas stations is less pleasent than stopping at Superchargers.

I know you dont like the range of your car, but posts like these make it look like you are grasping at straws. I dont think very many people would consider any travel commute / drive of less than 14 hours "quite low". 1000 miles a day at speeds of 70 MPH is more than 14 hours driving a day. A "typical" road trip drive for most people is not 14 hours a day, so that doesnt qualify as "quite low" for most people.

Now, if you want / need / like to drive like that, thats on you, but lets not try to pretend that a 14 hour drive at 70 MPH is a "normal" travel drive and anything less than that is "quite low".

I know you dont like the range of your car, but posts like these make it look like you are grasping at straws. I dont think very many people would consider any travel commute / drive of less than 14 hours "quite low". 1000 miles a day at speeds of 70 MPH is more than 14 hours driving a day. A "typical" road trip drive for most people is not 14 hours a day, so that doesnt qualify as "quite low" for most people.

Now, if you want / need / like to drive like that, thats on you, but lets not try to pretend that a 14 hour drive at 70 MPH is a "normal" travel drive and anything less than that is "quite low".

Just for sake of completeness, here's the itinerary from last Saturday.

So, uh, yeah. No problem at all.

Screen Shot 2021-04-21 at 1.25.38 PM.png

Just for sake of completeness, here's the itinerary from last Saturday.

So, uh, yeah. No problem at all.

View attachment 655739

I'm taking the M3P to Disney in July with the wife and kids and I'm not even going to switch my wheels out. Last year we took my F150 that had ~600 mile range on a full tank. This trip will take us probably the exact same amount of time because at no point was I able to drive more than 200 miles in a stretch without stopping for one of the kids having to pee or eat something. I think unless you're single trying to power through miles, the range is really a non issue with the network in most places. Especially down the east coast.

• Love
Reactions: dmurphy
I'm waiting to see how the EV tax credits pan out with either the Green Act or Biden's Infrastructure bill. At this point, I could end up getting next year's model depending on how slow the legislation process it.

When do the new year models come out? I tried doing research, but couldn't find when the 2021 Model 3 was released. I vaguely remember it being available in Oct or Nov of 2020, but I wasn't 100% sure. If new models are released around the same time every year, it would help me understand when the 2022 may potentially get released.
Since Teslas don't have model years the 2022 models will come out in 2022.

• Disagree
Reactions: Kevy Baby
Thanks all for the replies.

Probably the single most pertinent thing I'm looking for in newer models is increased range in the Model 3. Little additions like heatsinks are certainly great and welcomed, and I expect them to continue to fix types of issues like panel gaps and other structural abnormalities that are getting fine-tuned year to year since the Model 3 is still so new.

But I want primarily more range. It's a bit of a shame since they can easily put more battery cells in a Model 3 (if they're making a Model S with 520 miles, and have a Model S with 412 miles, there's no reason they can't make an even longer range model 3). It's possible that maybe they add more battery cells mid way through this year, but most likely they will increase the range with new model years, perhaps.

As soon as the tax credit get finalized, I will probably just end up making the purchase anyways, assuming I have to get it within the 200k-600k # of vehicles sold. Though if Biden's $10k credit comes through, perhaps the 600k limit won't be a thing, and I'd rather just wait a few extra months if needed to get something with more range and another novel feature (like in the heatsink category).

Until the Model 3 gets the new batteries, it's not going to get more range. The reason why the new Model S is getting such high range is because of the new batteries. This will be probably be in 2023. They are have put the new batteries in the Model S, Model X, Cybertruck, Semi, Roadster, THEN Model 3 and Y.

They can't put more battery cells in the Model 3, it's full.

Where are you getting such wrong information, new heatsinks? $10K credit? 200k-600k # of vehicles?

That said there is no need to wait for a longer range 3, the range of the current model is enough. When road tripping all you need is a usable 200 miles of range, in good weather you should be able to get close to 300 miles if you don't drive like a maniac. The limiting factor on a road trip isn't the battery size it's the size of your bladder. Superchargers are plentiful and they are building more of them every day. Having to stop every two or three hours for a 15 minute charge isn't a chore. You stop, plug in, go to the bathroom and maybe grab a snack and then you are on your way.

Search for your region and look at all of the places that you would like to drive to. What you'll see is that you never need to drive 500 miles between charges, if you can drive a worry free 200 miles that's all you need.

For anyone wanting to keep their cars atleast a few years or more, this does not hold true and more range is needed. I have a late 2018 LR DM 3 with 44k miles. Battery degradation is real. My nominal pack energy is now around 67 kWh, compared to 77.8 when new.

Here's an example where I was charged up to 90% with a trip planned from Austin to my friends in Arlington (between Dallas and Ft Worth) which by the way I have done dozens of times. By your standards, it's one stop in Waco for 10 minutes and then arrive at my friends house with only 19%. There are no superchargers otherwise. It is not anywhere ideal to arrive at a destination with less than 20%. You can't drive anywhere significant after that without going to another supercharger. That means the Waco turns into atleast a 30 minute charge or longer to avoid this issue. This is not an edge case - this is a normal long distance trip straight navigation on a degraded battery. Yes I could charge to 100% from home on my L2 but when you are limited on time, that's not always possible. And the whole "good weather" scenario is not realistic. People drive in all seasons and it's a fair expectation your car should be able to go reasonably far in all of them. Winter's can cut range by 30%, or if you are in even colder climates 50% or even 60% in extreme cold. That makes what may seem like a minor inconvenience into a much larger one. Range is king and there is still plenty that necessitates the need for more range, especially given the battery degradation and how much temperature impacts battery performance. Now I know the heat pump helps but even then it's still limited in how much it will help in the long run. We need 450-500 mile range model 3's if this is going to truly be accepted over ICE for everyone. More than that would be nice but at minimum another 100-150 is needed to make up for losses long term. And also how much the 4680's degrade compared to the current cells is going to be interesting, I'm hopeful there is a noticeable improvement due to the longer cycle life.

PXL_20210422_210659179.jpg

Reactions: TechOps

At a gas station you have to serialize fueling and peeing because you can't legally walk away from a car that's getting gas...

You can’t legally walk away? Are you speaking of all 50 states because if you are I’m calling BS on that comment. Pretty sure self-service gas is based on state laws, which is why there was a time you couldn’t pump your own gas in every state.

great idea!
We could probably auto generate 80% of the posts:

Question which answers can easily be searched and there's even one identical thread 9 threads below?

"Hi I have a question that was asked about 10 times already which I did not bother to look around for an answer at all. Can you repeat that answer here one more time for me?"

"Pseudo contrarian answer that disagrees with 80% of the info from this forum"

"Snarky comment about a sub point that is not relevant to OP's question"

"Half thought out phrasing of the right answer because had
You can’t legally walk away? Are you speaking of all 50 states because if you are I’m calling BS on that comment. Pretty sure self-service gas is based on state laws, which is why there was a time you couldn’t pump your own gas in every state.
what he means is there must be a person to attend the fueling. There are only 2-3 states left with mandatory service. Pretty much everywhere else it’s the self serve computer-pump. Even with service, you have to wait until it’s done to move the car. The point is parking 20-30min for charging *while doing something else* is a greater advantage than a short fuel time for most “long trip” stops.

Reactions: Sam1