Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When is 2022 Model 3 releasing?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
(moderator note: This thread did not start off being about range. Any further range discussions in this thread after my post here will be moved to the master thread on range, which can be found here:

I am not moving the existing ones as they are part of an existing conversation that would be broken up if I move it, but anything about range in this thread after this post will end up in the thread I referenced above, so I suggest just making those points there instead of here.)

Reactions: hcdavis3
Disagree. The amount of time I save never stopping at a gas station (because my batt is charged every morning) more than makes up for the few extra minutes on a road trip. Besides which, my bladder says I’m going to stop every few hours anyway. It’s really a complete non-issue and, for us, preferable IN EVERY WAY.

Yep I'm on board with having a full charge everyday. I was responding to his supercharging and road trip statements.

That’s not the argument being laid out. The main idea is change of habit. Such as pairing charging when you would be doing something other than being on your way such as streching, letting the dog/kids play out a bit before hitting the road again, restroom, eating etc.
If you’re a lone dude who simply grinds miles away, yes charging is less convenient than fueling. You need to do it more often for a longer time. But for most people that’s not how long trips go and for them, a simple change of habit makes the charging more convenient, not less.

You have no choice but to change your habits. Hopefully that'll change sooner than later with more superchargers, faster charging, and better batteries.

OP, the 2022 models will definitely be out in 2022 lol. It'd be nice to have an accurate forecast of when the model 3 will also get the 4680 batteries. I'm guessing even hinting at any release dates would cannibalize their sales.

I am guessing in 3+ years for the new cells.

Also, I would rather Tesla NOT use the legacy car year-numbering system and that others follow suit as well. I think it's dumb. The year the car was made should be the year of the car. It's easier to get the age of the car when the car year is the actual year the car was made. Feels like to 5 (soon 6!) bladed razor. Why not issue the 2025 model right now! New and improved! 3 years ahead! "Yeah that's a 2022 made Nov 2021".

...range very much does matter... so you bought an SR?

With a current LR you would've only had to stop once, and for less than 30 minutes... (19, at Kettleman, per ABRP).... that's 6 hours 11 minutes total travel time...

Honestly the 90 mins of charging even in an SR+ seems odd...ABRP says 37 minutes of charging for SF to LA in an SR+

8 minutes at Firebaugh, 17 at Kettleman, 13 at Tejon Ranch-- 6 hours 45 minutes total travel time.

But Tesla already sells a version of your car with more ~90 extra miles of range.
Would you like to donate 10k so I can upgrade 😂

The long trip stems from multiple issues, namely due to lack of infra:

1. I'd like to have enough charge at the destination so I can drive around the city, or so I have enough for the plans I have the next day, plus sentry for overnight. Charging at the destination may not be close or convenient. The airbnb or hotel I stay at may not have L2 or even L1 charging. An 8 hour trickle charge isn't enough that I can forgo a supercharge. Superchargers may not be close either. This adds an additional stop of charging. With ICE I'd still have a half tank left.

2. Charging from 20% to 80% is at least 20min. Rarely do I get the full advertised rate of charge. Usually it starts around 70kw, or sometimes 110kw and tapers off to 40kw.

These are the things I have to deal with with a SR+ and 10k is definitely not something I would spend for the 1.5hr convenience twice a year.

Basically the situation I'm in now is:

1. I don't NEED a new car immediately, but I would ideally like to trade in my current ICE car while used car prices are high.
2. I can't trade in my ICE car until the Tesla is ready.
3. I have a deposit for a Model 3 in, EDD is in September.
4. I will probably have major FOMO if the 2022 LR is announced to have either an adjustable/better/softer suspension, or something like a heads up display or some sort of digital dashboard behind the wheel. (I would love Carplay, but I assume that would be a software update available to all cars).

I don't need longer range.

I guess the question is, and there is no perfect answer, does it make sense for me to just wait or push back delivery (is it even possible to push back delivery into the next quarter?) to wait until the 2022 improvements are announced? It's impossible to predict how much used car prices will tank by Q4, otherwise I'd have no problem waiting

What is the likelihood that M3 gets an adjustable suspension in 2022, and is this something that would likely just come to the performance M3 (out of my price range, in which case there's no need to wait) or the $50k LR AWD?

1. I don't NEED a new car immediately, but I would ideally like to trade in my current ICE car while used car prices are high.
4. I will probably have major FOMO if the 2022 LR is announced to have either an adjustable/better/softer suspension, or something like a heads up display or some sort of digital dashboard behind the wheel. (I would love Carplay, but I assume that would be a software update available to all cars).

I guess the question is, and there is no perfect answer, does it make sense for me to just wait or push back delivery (is it even possible to push back delivery into the next quarter?) to wait until the 2022 improvements are announced? It's impossible to predict how much used car prices will tank by Q4, otherwise I'd have no problem waiting

What is the likelihood that M3 gets an adjustable suspension in 2022, and is this something that would likely just come to the performance M3 (out of my price range, in which case there's no need to wait) or the $50k LR AWD?
I'm in a similar situation.
  1. I have a 2018 M3 LR RWD but am looking to sell high while used car values are up
  2. Single car household so we can't trade-in prior to delivery of new MYLR
  3. Ordered MYLR w/ EDD September
  4. I will have FOMO only because model year 2022 matters for resale but it doesn't mean anything in terms of if/when Tesla rolls out updates
Tesla doesn't work like a typical car mfr. and rolls out updates whenever they are ready. I wouldn't bet on 2022 vehicle being any different. If you are waiting on a specific update that has been rolled out to the 3/Y in a different model or region, that could be a reason to wait but it's always for an indeterminant amount of time. Updates to to China models usually come to NA models a few months later and some take much longer for some reason. Some updates get rolled out to the 3 first and others to the Y. There isn't any pattern to when these happen. Also, if you are waiting on a rumored upgrade like better/air suspension, you can find rumors going back to 2016/2017 so that's a fool's errand.

If you are afraid of used cars value dropping than I would take the new car as soon as you can but i doubt they'll dip dramatically in Q4. If my EDD ends up being end of September, I may delay delivery a bit as last year 2021 models started rolling out around mid-10/2020

Reactions: Scarletfever

No. The "2022's" won't be out till 2022 AND will not have what you want anyway. Plus you want to pay more? Tesla have been increasing the price of their cars about $500 every 2 weeks to a month.

The probability that they will add Android Auto or Car Play is virtually zero. As for the other things, I doubt that they will offer air suspension on the 3 or the Y, it's a differentiator with the S. Better batteries will happen, if I had to guess end or 2022 or early 2023. The 4680 isn't in production yet and when it is the first application has to be the Cybertruck and the Semi. They've talked about the 4680s for the Y and maybe in Berlin it will get them but in the US I'd bet they will wait until the 4680s are running off the production line like pancakes. Batteries are their bottleneck and they want to make maximum use of every source they have. The Plaid was supposed to get 4680s but they killed that and stuck with an improved 16850s, they didn't even move to the 2170s. The reason was that Panasonic has an existing 18650 line in Japan and they didn't want tp throw that away. You can't build a Cybertruck, at least the long range version, without 4680s, the same is true with the Semi. The Cybertruck alone will be able to suck up every 4680 they can make so why would they put it in the 3 which already has 353 miles of range with the 2170s. Eventually they will want to move the whole product range to 4680s because they are cheaper but not until they can make enough of them.

Reactions: jjrandorin
One more comment, the lack of a HUD was a deliberate decision on Elon's part. In his mind the 3 is a self driving car so why would you put a HUD in a self driving car? He'd schizophrenic on this, on the one had they do things like no HUD in the 3/Y, no buyout on the lease (so they can get cheap cars for their robotaxi fleet), and no shifter on the new S because the cars are supposed to be self driving. On the other hand they put in stiff suspensions and insane acceleration which only make sense if people are driving themselves. If you had a chauffeur and he gunned the car while he was driving you he would be fired on the spot, "Rudolfo I'll send you your last check in the mail". If FSD ever works and it maxes out the acceleration you'd disable it immediately and it would join Rudolfo on the unemployment line.

One more comment, the lack of a HUD was a deliberate decision on Elon's part. In his mind the 3 is a self driving car so why would you put a HUD in a self driving car? He'd schizophrenic on this, on the one had they do things like no HUD in the 3/Y, no buyout on the lease (so they can get cheap cars for their robotaxi fleet), and no shifter on the new S because the cars are supposed to be self driving. On the other hand they put in stiff suspensions and insane acceleration which only make sense if people are driving themselves. If you had a chauffeur and he gunned the car while he was driving you he would be fired on the spot, "Rudolfo I'll send you your last check in the mail". If FSD ever works and it maxes out the acceleration you'd disable it immediately and it would join Rudolfo on the unemployment line.

yeah, this is more of a high level concern I have with buying a Tesla. I think they’re chasing something unattainable, at least IMO no existing car on the road will ever be used to drive someone while they are asleep. I hope that I could still expect software updates to improve the basic AP/phantom breaking, and that not all of their efforts are spent on FSD.

I wish I could both "like" and "funny" this post at the same time, lol. I chose to like it and then post and let you know it was great, almost spit coffee on my monitor, lmao.

Reactions: bjrosen

im sure the company is split over the whole hud/dash thing too. hence cars like the cybertruck also just have on screen but the model S still has the dash. they dont know how to convince elon that people want a dash. whether as a hud or a physical one.

im sure the company is split over the whole hud/dash thing too. hence cars like the cybertruck also just have on screen but the model S still has the dash. they dont know how to convince elon that people want a dash. whether as a hud or a physical one.

... not everyone does. Honestly, I rather appreciate the single screen in the Model 3. We have both a 3 and X, and now I find the X a bit cluttered.

... not everyone does. Honestly, I rather appreciate the single screen in the Model 3. We have both a 3 and X, and now I find the X a bit cluttered.

I concur with this assessment. The Model S/X has to look luxury for the price point so a single screen like in the 3 won't work. I personally am fine with or without the HUD, but if you add a HUD to a Model 3/Y, the prices will surely increase. That's not just a simple add with no cost increases.

I concur with this assessment. The Model S/X has to look luxury for the price point so a single screen like in the 3 won't work. I personally am fine with or without the HUD, but if you add a HUD to a Model 3/Y, the prices will surely increase. That's not just a simple add with no cost increases.
I agree.... after all a screen the entire width of the car would be the ultimate. It could include info such as live stock prices, face-to-face video conferences, weather report for the shack in Gstaad, even live video of the horse at the academy. As well as other less important things.