Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When is 2022 Model 3 releasing?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2022 Model 3 thoughts with some likely and some unlikely changes:
  1. Range increase of 5-10% to 370-385 EPA miles (LR) due to 2170 cell improvements and OEM tires to Michelin Sport EV's
  2. 12V lithium ion battery
  3. Improved cabin air filter
I can't think of anything else that is even speculated to change at all other than crazy wishful thinking things. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Hopefully they setup the m3p to reflect the way the plaid power is output. Whether it be through programming or rewiring the battery pack. The car is easily a 10 second car if the fscking thing didn't start pulling power at 45mph.

2022 Model 3 thoughts with some likely and some unlikely changes:
  1. Range increase of 5-10% to 370-385 EPA miles due to 2170 cell improvements and OEM tires to Michelin Sport EV's
  2. 12V lithium ion battery
  3. Improved cabin air filter
I can't think of anything else that is even speculated to change at all other than crazy wishful thinking things. Thoughts?
This actually seems reasonable, I do not think there is expected to be any changes to be honest but your #2 and 3 are likely to happen regardless at some point. Be that on a "proper" year change or more likely whenever the heck Tesla chooses to do it, it could be next week.

Reactions: Jeremy3292
So much of the range argument seems to ignore the fact of geography. On the East Coast you simply don't need 450 - 500 miles of range. Out here in the West, you do.

Factor in battery degradation, cold temps and you could see 280 - 300 actual miles on a 500 estimated range. Maybe worse depending on driving habits.

I'll concede that with children, or the need to pee/get food you certainly want to stop every 200 - 250 miles, however, in some areas out here there wouldn't actually be anywhere to stop and recharge! That's the reality of the west. If it's a true road trip you're going to be going through some long stretches with only one charger option you absolutely have to hit.

A 500 mile range makes that moot. You can keep on going if you need to.

So much of the range argument seems to ignore the fact of geography. On the East Coast you simply don't need 450 - 500 miles of range. Out here in the West, you do.

Factor in battery degradation, cold temps and you could see 280 - 300 actual miles on a 500 estimated range. Maybe worse depending on driving habits.

I'll concede that with children, or the need to pee/get food you certainly want to stop every 200 - 250 miles, however, in some areas out here there wouldn't actually be anywhere to stop and recharge! That's the reality of the west. If it's a true road trip you're going to be going through some long stretches with only one charger option you absolutely have to hit.

A 500 mile range makes that moot. You can keep on going if you need to.
My contention has always been EV's need 300-350 miles of real world highway miles going 75-80mph in any weather condition. 400 seems unnecessary.

I agree.... after all a screen the entire width of the car would be the ultimate. It could include info such as live stock prices, face-to-face video conferences, weather report for the shack in Gstaad, even live video of the horse at the academy. As well as other less important things.
I've got a HUD in my BMW 330i and usually keep it turned off.

My M3SR+ is on order, Q4 delivery...don't need it sooner.

I went for a test drive on a LR 3 and honestly I think the suspension is going to keep me from buying it. Really hope it improves in 2022. I know there are aftermarket options but I don’t want to spend another 3k on a potential 50k car.

I felt like a bobble head. And the road wasn’t even bad. I understand the tire pressure can be modified but it’s not exactly a comfortable ride.
Still not sure I understand what you mean, a bobble head as in the suspension is rolling and not stiff? Compared to my WRX I thought the Model 3 handled pretty well, it definitely is not as harsh feeling but the handling feels pretty comparable.

Still not sure I understand what you mean, a bobble head as in the suspension is rolling and not stiff? Compared to my WRX I thought the Model 3 handled pretty well, it definitely is not as harsh feeling but the handling feels pretty comparable.

bobble head would mean the car is too stiff, softer suspensions would absorb most of the shock when going over rough roads

if you log into the site with your tesla credentials it can pull data, is my understanding. I wont do that, but many do.
The paid version can pull data but only current weather, traffic, supercharger usage, etc. I don't think it needs to pull any live data from your car besides GPS data.

Thanks all for the replies.

Probably the single most pertinent thing I'm looking for in newer models is increased range in the Model 3. Little additions like heatsinks are certainly great and welcomed, and I expect them to continue to fix types of issues like panel gaps and other structural abnormalities that are getting fine-tuned year to year since the Model 3 is still so new.

But I want primarily more range. It's a bit of a shame since they can easily put more battery cells in a Model 3 (if they're making a Model S with 520 miles, and have a Model S with 412 miles, there's no reason they can't make an even longer range model 3). It's possible that maybe they add more battery cells mid way through this year, but most likely they will increase the range with new model years, perhaps.

As soon as the tax credit get finalized, I will probably just end up making the purchase anyways, assuming I have to get it within the 200k-600k # of vehicles sold. Though if Biden's $10k credit comes through, perhaps the 600k limit won't be a thing, and I'd rather just wait a few extra months if needed to get something with more range and another novel feature (like in the heatsink category).

not so sure about this. The Model 3 has less floorspace available than the S and afaik the current pack is already full to the brim. The increase in range is mainly from density and increased efficiency, not more added cells.

its all relative, if you are coming from a mini-van... yes its stiff, but its pretty avg compared to your avg sports sedan... thats just the way the driving dynamics are... all cars will not be the same
Totally agree, was hoping that poster gave a little more context to what they meant. For the type of car the Model 3 is aiming to be I think the suspension does a pretty good job. Its not too harsh or too soft in my opinion.

Totally agree, was hoping that poster gave a little more context to what they meant. For the type of car the Model 3 is aiming to be I think the suspension does a pretty good job. Its not too harsh or too soft in my opinion.

I have an Accord Hybrid, which is obviously not a sports car but I’d say that not only is it a super smooth drive, it’s also quieter unless I am rapidly accelerating.