Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When is structural battery pack & 4680 cells coming & Why are you not waiting until then?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Which will be in production first — 4680 or “true” FSD? 😇
FSD is a noble goal but the goalposts remain in the distance. I'd like to see it happen for my future old age needs, and believe it can.
But it's an all-or-nothing proposition. It either works everywhere or it's not good enough.
Anything else is just cruise control with an attitude.

Tesla has drawn criticism for abandoning LIDAR for a camera-only approach.
Others in govt regulatory bodies think w/o LIDAR that it's impossible, and Sandy Munro posits FLIR-type sensors are required.
While camera-only can work with inferencing distances, computers require lots of real-time processing to accomplish it, while humans do it easily.
And the AI hype is just a masquerade of algorithms and parallel processing.

Just as 'Battery Day' was a recruiting exposition, so too was 'AI Day', and Tesla actually admitted it.

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H
FSD is a noble goal but the goalposts remain in the distance. I'd like to see it happen for my future old age needs, and believe it can.
But it's an all-or-nothing proposition. It either works everywhere or it's not good enough.

Tesla has drawn criticism for abandoning LIDAR for a camera-only approach.
Others in govt regulatory bodies think w/o LIDAR that it's impossible, and Sandy Munro posits FLIR-type sensors are required.
While camera-only can work with inferencing distances, computers require lots of real-time processing to accomplish it, while humans do it easily.
And the AI hype is just a masquerade of algorithms and parallel processing.

Just as 'Battery Day' was a recruiting exposition, so too was 'AI Day', and Tesla actually admitted it.

Assuming FSD "success" is roughly-equal-to-a-human-in-same-conditions, then vision-only clearly has to be possible since humans can do it with a single pair of "cameras". That's not saying it'll converge any time soon, but it clearly can be done since we do it every day.

More sensors probably help on certain corner cases. However some of those sensors have limitations in weather etc. So you end up having to solve the vision-only problem anyway.

The open question is if lidar/radar/whatever sensors will get to L4 faster than the vision-only approach. It feels like they might, and yeah Tesla has certainly over-promised on when they could deliver their solution to the point where it's unfair to early customers.

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H
This is exactly how I feel about it too. For it to have value, it needs to be actual for real self driving. Like, it needs to handle it ALL of the time, so I can lean my seat back and sleep to my destination. That's the only way it's worth something to me. As it is, that's not worth $1K to me, much less $10K!

And I think it's self-evident that camera only systems can do this...eventually. Humans do it with cameras only: Q.E.D. And the cars have more "eyes" than humans do, looking in more directions that humans do, and all the time. So this can happen, but it's a matter of how challenging the processing and programming is, which could be really difficult and take quite a while to get right.

…the cars have more "eyes" than humans do, looking in more directions that humans do, and all the time. So this can happen, but it's a matter of how challenging the processing and programming is, which could be really difficult and take quite a while to get right.
Tesla is testing higher processing power hardware and better resolution cameras. Not sure the current set will be good enough, but yeah, someone will get there eventually and Tesla is a reasonable bet.

Reactions: preilly44
Its kind of insane that its been 6 weeks since 4680 were sold to people and yet no blog or paper has a picture of so much as the charging curve to see if it charges at twice the speed as expected.

But yes, I am considering waiting on 4680 even if its lower power.

Sandy Munro stated that the 4680 will last a gazillion years, and he would know.

Plus, in the video showing off the 4680, tesla played a lyric in the background “i will go a million miles” Seems pretty reasonable to assume that 4680 batteries will last many many decades and for a million miles due to improved heat discharge and the far shorter travel distance for electrons due to the tabless design.

Can anyone tell me a reason why I am wrong to think this?

Its kind of insane that its been 6 weeks since 4680 were sold to people and yet no blog or paper has a picture of so much as the charging curve to see if it charges at twice the speed as expected.

Sandy Munro stated that the 4680 will last a gazillion years, and he would know.

Plus, in the video showing off the 4680, tesla played a lyric in the background “i will go a million miles” Seems pretty reasonable to assume that 4680 batteries will last many many decades and for a million miles due to improved heat discharge and the far shorter travel distance for electrons due to the tabless design.

Well we might start seeing it soon as some folks have posted that Tesla has offered them a car from Austin to replace an existing MY order. I've seen it in a couple of different places.

Who will take advantage of “a million miles”? Most people get new cars after 5-6 years anyway, and at the speed battery and EV technology in general, is improving at this time, most people won’t see the difference between 4680 and current tech, as they’ll get a new car with newer battery tech and computer tech before they see any benefit in waiting for the 4680. Maybe a few hundred bucks in resell.

You may not be wrong, but to believe it because Sandy Munro said it and they played a song....? :rolleyes:

Alot of the 4680 hype has disappeared with underwhelming introduction of the Austin Model Y. I would be skeptical until we have real world experience and reporting on these cars. If I was buying now I would wait a year to see if they experience problems.

The Austin Y has the same MPGe as the MY LR. The Austin Y has new features, but apparently no benefit from the changes.

Preferring the Austin Y is a decision based on hope.