Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When is structural battery pack & 4680 cells coming & Why are you not waiting until then?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes I agree.

When Tesla builds a long range plus with say 40 or 50 miles more range than the present long range version, I will be one of the first to push the buy button.
That will be a while.
There's no incentive to increase range.
No competition in any quantity is coming soon, and costs are rising fast.
Not to mention Tesla is sold out for a year, and has additional demands for batteries looming from CT, SEMI, and Roadster.

We’ll be at the ~300 mile plateau for a few years.

Competition, broader EV adoption, and people demanding good cold weather range will drive it higher someday. Might even make it part of an optimal “cold weather package.”
Agreed. Elon has stated longer range is just wasted as your dragging around a lot of unused capacity 99% of the time. I think any efficiencies obtained in the near future will be used to increase profit while still providing the same range though competition will change that eventually.

We took delivery of a Model Y in May 2021. After 24k miles, we reserved another one. EDD is December 2022. - March 2023. We regularly take trips of 500 miles and range is not an issue. We learned to make more frequent stops in very cold weather. The Tesla supercharger network is awesome and has never let us down. We could try and wait for the newest features, but we’d miss out on what is already great about the car.

Agreed. Elon has stated longer range is just wasted as your dragging around a lot of unused capacity 99% of the time. I think any efficiencies obtained in the near future will be used to increase profit while still providing the same range though competition will change that eventually.
longer range would require larger battery using the same battery technology. Most of us need to pee after 200-250 miles anyway ... hahahaha

People that don't drive EV's are the ones really concerned about range, IME. Additional charging locations (and having the option to fast-charge at ANY station, like using the CCS adapter and non-Tesla's having access to the Supercharger network) is what is needed, along with faster charging speeds (although that won't necessarily benefit those of us with EV's already). Build out the network with new locations and for the non-Tesla chargers, ensure reliability.

I was in the same boat before I got my MY. But I don't worry about range at all now when I travel.

When Tesla builds a long range plus with say 40 or 50 miles more range than the present long range version, I will be one of the first to push the buy button.

Not me. I start the day with 80% and find it's rare that I'm starting an overnight charge sequence with the SoC sitting at less than 60%

And the times I've taken a long trip, it's not been an issue at all. Dallas to Round Rock with 23% at arrival IIRC. Could probably have gone al the way past Austin, but like other people say ... it's actually nice (and safer) to take a break now and then

longer range would require larger battery using the same battery technology. Most of us need to pee after 200-250 miles anyway ... hahahaha
Outside of anomalous bubbles, there are lots of places in the US that are still unreachable by EVs (without 110 charging), especially in winter, where range can be easily cut in half. For instance, you can't travel from Boise, ID to Coeur d'Alene, ID (400 miles) on the main routes through the state and encounter a Supercharger. And if you wanted to get off the main track?

The solution is more DC chargers, but it may be easier to offer more range, at least as an option. Unless you want to limit EVs to people who live in a few population centers and commute on interstates.

Outside of anomalous bubbles, there are lots of places in the US that are still unreachable by EVs (without 110 charging), especially in winter, where range can be easily cut in half. For instance, you can't travel from Boise, ID to Coeur d'Alene, ID (400 miles) on the main routes through the state and encounter a Supercharger. And if you wanted to get off the main track?

The solution is more DC chargers, but it may be easier to offer more range, at least as an option. Unless you want to limit EVs to people who live in a few population centers and commute on interstates.
I think more superchargers is the lowest cost option. Any technical improvements impacting range would likely result in lower cost to produce each car, boosting profits even after accounting for the cost of more places to charge.
Not saying this is ideal from a consumer standpoint as longer range would ease the fears of many for EV adoption. But more superchargers would also help. Interesting to see how this plays out!

Last edited:

In fairness, how many gas stations are there on that route?

Reactions: DonaldBecker
I would love 50 more miles in the MYLR.

Being from the SF Bay area, we do almost weekly ski trips on weekends to Tahoe in the winter. It's 215 miles to Tahoe but 7000k elevation gain through the Sierras. I always have to charge once going to Tahoe, never on the way back going downhill.

50 more miles of range would allow for a straight shot drive, which yes I would do / did do a lot with previous vehicle. It's the uphill +wind + potential cold weather impact that makes it not possible to do 215 miles that way.

Stops are great and in general fully agree with this except when:
- you are trying to not disturb children sleeping in the backseat (leaving late on Friday evenings for the 3.5-4 hour drive)
- you really care about totally time of one way drive.. either to get there for a reason.. or just because you track best times to get from start to destination.

Reactions: MacO512
In fairness, how many gas stations are there on that route?
21. Those are the ones marked as just gas stations. In these little towns, there are frequently places that are marked as "general store" or "convenience store" that sometimes have a couple of gas pumps too, since they are kind of the everything place in that town, so I can't verify on those that might be extra beyond the 21 gas stations.

I think more superchargers is the lowest cost option. Any technical improvements impacting range would likely result in lower cost to produce each car, boosting profits even after accounting for the cost of more places to charge.
Not saying this is ideal from a consumer standpoint as longer range would ease the fears of many for EV adoption. But more superchargers would also help. Interesting to see how this plays out!
Possibly. It's a big country however. Think about how many gas stations there are. If all (or half) of vehicles were replaced by EVs, and you expected them to go wherever ICE vehicles went, that would be a lot of charge stations. And they are more expensive to build than putting in a gas pump. Again, I think longer range vehicles would probably be an option with a cost. Probably you need both longer range and more chargers.

21. Those are the ones marked as just gas stations. In these little towns, there are frequently places that are marked as "general store" or "convenience store" that sometimes have a couple of gas pumps too, since they are kind of the everything place in that town, so I can't verify on those that might be extra beyond the 21 gas stations.
Yeah, at least that many. I can think of 14 just in the first 110 miles.

Reactions: boulder.dude
Possibly. It's a big country however. Think about how many gas stations there are. If all (or half) of vehicles were replaced by EVs, and you expected them to go wherever ICE vehicles went, that would be a lot of charge stations.
Ah, I see that misconception frequently. People seem to forget the major difference between them. With gas stations, it is all fill ups all the time that are always done at the gas stations. So they need a lot of stations with a lot of capacity for that. With EVs, though, most people are able to have some kind of common charging where they live or work, so the vast majority of charging for most vehicles is NOT done at electric "filling stations". Many EV owners go for a couple months at a time or more without having any need to use a charging station that is not their house. So the idea that the number of charging stations needs to equal the number of gas stations for the same number of cars is definitely not true.