Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When is Tesla gonna start producing for U.S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, pulling the trigger to by a new model 3 and having to wait is agonizing for some of us including myself. I ordered on October 23rd in South Carolina and my order stated 6 - 10 weeks. Look like I still have a while to go. No news from Tesla yet.

We need to remember that Tesla does not have a dealership network. Dealerships were created back in the Henry Ford days when Ford did not have enough capital to distribute/sale their vehicles. Dealerships were created by individuals getting local business loans to startup. I'm not sure of the terms but dealers take procession of cars and them must pay manufacturer with the dealership sitting on the inventory not the manufacturer. Dealers then learned to make money of the service of the vehicles in many different ways. I wonder if one factor of Tesla not using the dealership model is because of the low maintenance of their cars. Dealerships make money from service.

Tesla has service centers but not dealerships so local inventory is somewhat limited. More so now than back in the summer as the Europe and China market has become larger. The car industry is a tough business and other manufactures make cars based on a guess to the number of sales for the year. If they are wrong on the guess it could be a real financial burden. The whole Tesla business model is to try and streamline the ultimate delivery of a car to the consumer. From the few choices for builds to lack of local inventory. Tesla does not want to have inventory sitting around waiting to be sold.

We are still in the early adoption phase of EV's and Tesla. One day it might change, but we just need to show some patients.

Congrats on your order! I'm also in SC and ordered the same day as you, 10/23. No word yet. Very excited!

Reactions: tren01t
I ordered my M3 LR on November 9. The Design Studio indicated a 5 to 7 week delivery timeframe. Just for giggles, I called and spoke with a Customer Service rep only a few days later. Of course he was amused that I seemed so anxious, but he talked to his boss with me listening in. That gentleman could be heard clicking keys and muttering, then said, "I'd say that the customer can realistically expect his car around December 12".
No VIN yet, but I won't get my feathers ruffled until that date turns out wrong by a big margin.
Factories are places that are prey to variables; I worked as an assembly scheduler for a major earthmoving manufacturer. Everything is going well for a customer's machine, then a steel supplier is late with an order, etc, and there goes the delivery date.
Would the company love to hit all the marks? You bet. But its just not always going to work that way.
Because of my experience, and not as much that I've been Tesla fanboy from the start, I'm willing to give them some slack and not try to believe they are conspiring against me with delivery dates.
Perhaps the exquisite anticipation adds to the adventure with these great cars!

I ordered my M3 LR on November 9. The Design Studio indicated a 5 to 7 week delivery timeframe. Just for giggles, I called and spoke with a Customer Service rep only a few days later. Of course he was amused that I seemed so anxious, but he talked to his boss with me listening in. That gentleman could be heard clicking keys and muttering, then said, "I'd say that the customer can realistically expect his car around December 12".
No VIN yet, but I won't get my feathers ruffled until that date turns out wrong by a big margin.
Factories are places that are prey to variables; I worked as an assembly scheduler for a major earthmoving manufacturer. Everything is going well for a customer's machine, then a steel supplier is late with an order, etc, and there goes the delivery date.
Would the company love to hit all the marks? You bet. But its just not always going to work that way.
Because of my experience, and not as much that I've been Tesla fanboy from the start, I'm willing to give them some slack and not try to believe they are conspiring against me with delivery dates.
Perhaps the exquisite anticipation adds to the adventure with these great cars!

I called service around mid October and they said “if you’re account says 2-3 weeks that’s when it will be” when I was at the two week mark. So hit and miss with these people

Ordered on Oct 25th, LR AWD, California. No VIN number yet. Some guy from Tesla emailed me saying it's extremely likely that the car will take delivery by end of December. I asked if Tesla will refund the Federal credit in the case that they miss the delivery day by end of December, he said he have not heard anything from Tesla regarding that. Customer service has been terrible so far for me. I guess I am one of those unlucky ones.

I am in Los Angeles waiting on a MX. Ordered 10/31. I tried my own little unscientific experiment. Starting with new inventory I plugged NYC's zip and there are suddenly a lot of 2020 MX's for sale. Same for Boston. Moved down to Miami, then, Chicago, Dallas, Denver and Las Vegas. There were either none or very few in those locations. Conclusion is deliveries in NYC and Boston are underway or complete and they are starting to work their way west. We knew logistically it would happen this way but depending on how fast cars move west we may be able to determine when we might get ours on the west coast. As I say, unscientific and not unexpected but a small potential data point. (Didn’t try for M3.)

I just ordered a Model 3, DM with FSD. Thinking about changing it to a Performance. Certainly, what I'm reading is worrisome some.

I did not notice this yesterday but this is what is currently on Teslas Web Site as of this morning:

"Based on remaining production capacity and logistics timing, we recommend that customers in the continental US place their orders by December 8th to take delivery by 12/31. Note this is not a guarantee. Actual delivery date also depends on customer availability and readiness. For customers in Hawaii, view inventory available for delivery."

Bottom line for me is either it will come before December 31 or not.
I hope for the best but it is out of my control. I would not object to picking it up in Fremont, CA and doing a factory tour there then Catching the Giga Factory in Sparks, NV on the way home.

As in all things, time will tell.

Happy Thanksgiving

Just saw a bunch of minty fresh Model 3's making their way down the California coast from Fremont today and thought you guys would be happy to see some action. Hopefully this means US production is full steam.

Please excuse the poor photography.

Attachments

• 20191128_164601.jpg
    20191128_164601.jpg
    371.5 KB · Views: 77
  • 20191128_164603.jpg
    20191128_164603.jpg
    362.1 KB · Views: 57
  • 20191128_164418.jpg
    20191128_164418.jpg
    380.7 KB · Views: 67
  • 20191128_164605.jpg
    20191128_164605.jpg
    326.4 KB · Views: 57
It seems that Long Range got preference over SR+. I ordered mine on 10/27 in Aventura and have yet to receive a VIN. Did you get a VIN? And when?

I’m not feeling if the Long Range love from over here in MD. I ordered my LR/AWD/Auro/blue/white/FSD on 10/12 and still don’t have a VIN. I was given a silo very estimate of 2 weeks and I’m still tapping my foot. My SA did reach out to me and gave me an update letting me know I should have a VIN by next week. Only time will tell.