Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When is the first delivery of a dual motor M3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon said July
True, he did say he’d start building them in July after hitting 5k/week. Whether or not anyone takes delivery in July remains to be seen. I imagine they will be doing additional testing and also sending out test drive vehicles. Add some Elon sandbag and we could be August for customer deliveries. But maybe July if we’re lucky. I haven’t heard of anyone having a July delivery window, and I’m a 3/31 line waiter and S owner.

We saw that P3D on the assembly line, right? Whether that’s really Ryan’s car, whether ‘plain’ AWD ones are also built is another question.

I would hope they are building all three at the same time but we won’t know until someone gets one. And then if you want specs, agrees to have it tested.

True, he did say he’d start building them in July after hitting 5k/week. Whether or not anyone takes delivery in July remains to be seen. I imagine they will be doing additional testing and also sending out test drive vehicles. Add some Elon sandbag and we could be August for customer deliveries. But maybe July if we’re lucky. I haven’t heard of anyone having a July delivery window, and I’m a 3/31 line waiter and S owner.
No, he replied to Ryan from Ride the Lightening in a tweet that performance models would be delivered in July.
On another note: I think I spend way too much time keeping up with Tesla :)

Unless I counted wrong, it appears they registered roughly 3K AWD VINS starting the last week of June. Hopefully that means they started making them after the break. I'm sure the first person to have a VIN assigned will be posting it everywhere. :)

The only one I know of was said (by Musk) to be a P.

Of course it also appears to be sitting like a foot too high.

The "foot" too high probably doesn't say much outside of "this is what it looks like coming down the assembly line". If you check out the June 30 photo of the line (I saw it in the NYT but it's appeared lots of places) you'll see the chassis is riding on a rack assembly coming down the line. The suspension will normally expand like that if the weight is taken off the wheels (like when you jack it up to change a tire). Alternatively they may have just blocked the suspension high like that to keep the car more stable moving down the line.

As far as we know the AWD will be the nearly the same assembling as the P (except the P has the white interior options and there's supposed to be a suspension difference of some sort) so if they can push out Ps they should be able to inter-mix AWDs on the same line, the use up the AWD parts that didn't make P specs. Really, using up the AWD parts that don't make the P specs is a very good reason to expect they'll be making AWDs at least within days of them starting up P production.

I think what we need to watch is when they decided to pull back production from 5K range. That'll signal that they are implementing D/P production into the lines, proper.

Last edited: