Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When is the Tesla App first enabled?

Kipp

Mar 28, 2016
Seattle
I was thinking that as soon as I got a VIN assigned, the Tesla app on my Android phone would allow me to login. When I try to login, I get the following error:
Sign-In Failed
There are no products linked to your Tesla account.
I'm guessing that your new car is linked to your account at delivery to allow you to unlock the car and such. I'm curious what were the experiences, with respect to your phone app, of those who have received their Model 3.

Thanks

Utahken

Mar 18, 2016
Michigan
After I signed the paperwork, the sales advisor said "OK, I'll go back to my office and press the magic button then you'll have access to your Tesla". Sure enough, about 10 minutes later, the app worked.

• Informative
Reactions: Kipp

Proud TSLA/SCTY shareholder since 2013.
Nov 12, 2014
Ohio
And for folks that already have a Tesla?

How do we distinguish my wife's new 3 from my S on the app?

PoitNarf

My dog's breath smells like dog food
Jun 7, 2016
NJ
Well you don’t expect them to allow you access to your Model 3 before you take delivery do you? People would be honking the horn on them remotely as they traveled by truck or train and make all of the people handling the delivery a bit nuts. They’re suffering enough from all of the phone calls that we’re subjecting them to! :D

dhu1

Mar 9, 2017
Berkeley
From what I’ve read you swipe to the left or right to switch between multiple Tesla vehicles in the app.
Correct. I have the powerwall, an X and a 3. Constantly have to swipe to get to the right item. Also note sometimes the phone key app doesn’t work unless it is on the specific vehicle. It was much better after the ios update. Will be really interesting when we add another 3 to the mix this month.

• Informative
Reactions: PoitNarf

Kipp

Mar 28, 2016
Seattle
People would be honking the horn on them remotely as they traveled by truck or train
That is exactly what I wanted to do. ;)

Really, I wanted to become familiar with the app before picking up the car. I would expect that they would have the communication with the car turned off and enabled at delivery.

Dave B

Mar 20, 2016
Alpharetta, GA
Well you don’t expect them to allow you access to your Model 3 before you take delivery do you? People would be honking the horn on them remotely as they traveled by truck or train and make all of the people handling the delivery a bit nuts. They’re suffering enough from all of the phone calls that we’re subjecting them to! :D

This is why I shouldn't read TMC during meetings. Just cracked up laughing at this post. :D

Skidmark

Oct 16, 2017
San Jose, CA
Correct. I have the powerwall, an X and a 3. Constantly have to swipe to get to the right item. Also note sometimes the phone key app doesn’t work unless it is on the specific vehicle. It was much better after the ios update. Will be really interesting when we add another 3 to the mix this month.

You can also press the settings (gear) icon on the app, then there is the option to "Switch to Model S/X", but swiping left/right is probably quicker.

myblubu

May 1, 2016
Dayton, OH
You can also press the settings (gear) icon on the app, then there is the option to "Switch to Model S/X", but swiping left/right is probably quicker.

And if you have more than 2, when you touch the ‘gear’ you get a ‘switch vehicle’ option that will list each vehicle’s name, last 6 of VIN, and color picture to choose from. It also shows each vehicle’s status (online or offline).

MorrisonHiker

S 100D 2021.4.12
Mar 8, 2015
Colorado
When we took delivery a couple of weeks ago, we actually got access about 30 minutes before arriving at the Service Center. To be honest, we were running about 30 minutes late so it probably showed up on the account right at the time our 10 am appointment would've started.

Trevor B

Apr 2, 2016
USA
Search is indeed my friend.

I was getting the same error "There are no products linked to your My Tesla account'

Looks like it will be enabled just before delivery :)

Speedu4ea

Jul 16, 2018
San Francisco

I was getting the same error "There are no products linked to your My Tesla account'

I thought this was cool so I’ll add it :) I’m getting home delivery and my app will have the car when it leaves the Fremont factory and is driven to me. That way I can track it to me, or so they told me. So, taking requests on how to mess with the driver? Blast the AC? Turn the heat up? Lights on and off? Can you even do any of that while the car is moving?

TT97

Aug 6, 2017
Los Angeles

At delivery they said they enable the car 15 minutes before the appointment time. For some odd reason, they don't want new owners flashing the headlights and honking the horn while their car is at the delivery center.

• Funny
Reactions: DR61

Trevor B

Apr 2, 2016
USA
At delivery they said they enable the car 15 minutes before the appointment time. For some odd reason, they don't want new owners flashing the headlights and honking the horn while their car is at the delivery center.

Good to know ... I'll get there early and try to ID my car :)

Proud TSLA/SCTY shareholder since 2013.
Nov 12, 2014
Ohio
...So, taking requests on how to mess with the driver? Blast the AC? Turn the heat up? Lights on and off? Can you even do any of that while the car is moving?

Precisely the reasoning behind implementing at the last moment.

Speedu4ea

Jul 16, 2018
San Francisco
Precisely the reasoning behind implementing at the last moment.

No that's my point, I will have access the moment the car leaves the service center so I can "track' its drive to me. Pretty cool, but was curious/teasing about what can I do while its in motion. I am guess that while a Tesla is moving not much more then track it's location?

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC