Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When is track mode for M3LR with Acceleration boost coming? [no official announcement]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My very facetious response: “when you sell your LR and buy a performance.” ;)

More seriously, while implementation would easy, I expect it is very much a marketing decision to withhold Performance capabilities to Performance purchasers. I am sure Tesla has done extensive modeling to determine that the number of LR owners who would be persuaded to buy Acceleration Boost specifically because of the addition of Track Mode is not large enough to offset the significant (per customer) profits of actual Performance models. They would almost certainly lose money offering Track Mode to AB customers without also increasing the price of AB (or making Track Mode a separate option).

Last edited:
Was announced back in Feb that track mode was coming to M3LR with Boost…. Any news on it actually happening?

Can you link to some announcement from Tesla (not from any third party website) for that? I havent seen it, and I dont believe anything on this from anyone other than tesla so I consider this fake news unless you have an announcement from Tesla.

Reactions: mpgxsvcd and tm1v2
@Sarge72 Tesla never announced Track Mode for AB. Perhaps you're confusing an off-the-cuff comment on social media for an announcement? ;)

Track Mode is a defining feature of the Performance/Plaid models. Sh*t, when my wife and I were considering a new Palladium Model S I wanted to believe the MSLR could get Track Mode, but I knew better. Ain't happening, and didn't happen. Want proper fun with that yoke turned? That'll be $40k extra for a Plaid, thank you very much.

The M3P price premium is way smaller. And it still has a steering wheel. And some stalks. I'm feeling grateful now just typing this. The situation could be much worse than it is, for those of us who care more about corners than straight line racing. If you want Track Mode get an M3P. New vs new, or used vs used, the price premium is pretty minimal currently if unfettered driving fun is important to you.

Last edited:
Slip start should only allow light wheel spin at low speeds. If a driver wants to be able to control rotation with the pedals, for example, the car still won’t like that.

Of note I only actually saw about 2-3 seconds per lap (~2-3%) difference between Chill Mode (I.e. 200hp and all driver assists active) and Track mode on my local-ish road course. In other words, not that I was at the limit or anything, but with decent tires the stability assist functions were definitely noticeable (especially trail braking, where you could feel the ABS trying to help), but surprisingly unobtrusive.

Similarly, I have found in AutoX I really don’t gain much between my smoother, most deliberate tuns and my most chaotic, tire-squealing passes.

All that is to say, I think track mode does add value for really dialing in performance, but I don’t think it is a huge competitive advantage unless you are really approaching the ragged edge.

This is mostly what I use it for…

Slip start should only allow light wheel spin at low speeds. If a driver wants to be able to control rotation with the pedals, for example, the car still won’t like that.

Of note I only actually saw about 2-3 seconds per lap (~2-3%) difference between Chill Mode (I.e. 200hp and all driver assists active) and Track mode on my local-ish road course. In other words, not that I was at the limit or anything, but with decent tires the stability assist functions were definitely noticeable (especially trail braking, where you could feel the ABS trying to help), but surprisingly unobtrusive.

Similarly, I have found in AutoX I really don’t gain much between my smoother, most deliberate tuns and my most chaotic, tire-squealing passes.

All that is to say, I think track mode does add value for really dialing in performance, but I don’t think it is a huge competitive advantage unless you are really approaching the ragged edge.

This is mostly what I use it for…

Thats a super cute video, thanks for sharing!

• Love
Reactions: Lindenwood
Thats a super cute video, thanks for sharing!
"Sunday morning donuts" means something different in @Lindenwood's family! 😍

Glad your wife is up for the ride! My kiddo has asked for more sideways time in the car. I haven't obliged in a while. My wife gets motion sickness too easily to enjoy such things. Years ago she would put up with me doing donuts in the snow, and even came to a track day once, but not to ride along.

Kids don't lie though. I know how she drives now in the Teslas. "Mommy goes that fast here too" after getting through an especially fun stretch of our regular twisties. 😁

• Love
While we are daydreaming, Gosh I’d love a Model 3 Plaid. Nothing crazy… maybe 700hp or so by carrying the same torque to perhaps 70mph instead of 45. (Fully tracking that neither our batteries nor our motors could do that :/ ).

Though, I’d bet 50 more HP, which probably is chemically and mechanically feasible for our vehicles, would be enough to get into the 10.9 range with some deliberate weight reduction as well.

Reactions: brancky3
While we are daydreaming, Gosh I’d love a Model 3 Plaid. Nothing crazy… maybe 700hp or so by carrying the same torque to perhaps 70mph instead of 45. (Fully tracking that neither our batteries nor our motors could do that :/ ).

Though, I’d bet 50 more HP, which probably is chemically and mechanically feasible for our vehicles, would be enough to get into the 10.9 range with some deliberate weight reduction as well.
M3Plaid would be great - charge $90k for it, give it 750hp, air suspension, and keep everything else the same. I'll only buy it if it comes with a round steering wheel :p

@brancky3 The Palladium MSLR with a steering wheel swap is basically what you're asking for, no?

Air suspension is great for ride quality and obstacle clearance while maintaining good basic street handling manners, but would not be my choice for the sporty M3P. I say that as an owner of a Model S with air suspension. Air suspension can provide a really great ride/handling balance for normal sane street driving, but in my experience it doesn't give the handling feel I want in a truly sporty car when driving really hard and pushing its limits.

I really like having air springs on the S, would never give them up for coils on that car (and yes I've driven S on coils!), but I wouldn't want air on the 3. Sporty coilovers all the way on this car. :cool: