Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When is ultra Long Range battery coming?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Question is just that, when is a long range battery (450 miles +) going to arrive? if ever?

I have a tesla today and its a great car and I am sold! But range is a major issue right now. The best you can get is 330 miles on a full charge but in reality, after factoring 80% (to keep battery healthy), and real world driving, the range reduces drastically to about 250 miles, give or take. That means, this is a daily commute car at best. Can't take it out on long trips. For that, you still need to keep an ICE.

This is something Elon knows as well that is stopping massive adoption of EVs. Is it realistic to expect a 450+ range by at least 2023?

Question is just that, when is a long range battery (450 miles +) going to arrive? if ever?

I have a tesla today and its a great car and I am sold! But range is a major issue right now. The best you can get is 330 miles on a full charge but in reality, after factoring 80% (to keep battery healthy), and real world driving, the range reduces drastically to about 250 miles, give or take. That means, this is a daily commute car at best. Can't take it out on long trips. For that, you still need to keep an ICE.

This is something Elon knows as well that is stopping massive adoption of EVs. Is it realistic to expect a 450+ range by at least 2023?

This is absolutely false. Lots of people, myself included, have taken cross-country roadtrips with Teslas. There are numerous Tesla "influencers" on youtube who always seem to take 1000+ roadtrips every couple months with no issue. Personally, i've driven a Model S 60kwh (that has like 200 miles range at 90%) over 1500+ miles from louisiana to canada to boston and back. No big deal, this was in 2017 when there were 1/2 the number of superchargers as there are today.

In a 1000 mile roadtrip in a Model Y, you're probably stopping to charge 5 times. In an ICE vehicle, can you confidently say you wouldn't stop 5 times anyways driving 1000 miles to fill gas, pee, eat food, rest, etc? If not, then you should, most experts recommend not driving for more than 2-3 hours at a time anyways for safety/fatigue reasons. People with kids are stopping way more than 5 times anyways since children seem to have bladders the size of a grape.

I get it; more range is always convenient. But if you can hold your bladder between 250+ mile stops, you either are dehydrated or driving too fast. You won't get much better range with an ICE, depending on make/model. Sure, refueling stops are faster in an ICE, but is it really that inconvenient to stop and charge? If you want to see a daily commute EV, look at the BMW i3 or the MINI Cooper SE. Imagine how they feel about Tesla's range compared to their EVs (each one has a range of about 120 miles when new).

Someday I'm sure Tesla will have a 500+-mile car, but it won't be in the next few years. They need to clear their current backlogs and deliver the Cyber Truck first. In the meantime, hit the road and buy a book to read while you charge! :cool:

this is pure BS.
price, availability & stupidity is stopping mass adoption
+ more stupidity

I've had an S since 2012 and a 3 added late '19 too. the 3 can do 600 miles in 8 hours (hauling ass). The S took ~12 hrs to do 600 miles.
current charge rates and capacity are close to ideal as long as you don't need to split charge power (fine if you want to actually eat)

Reactions: xyeahtony
That means, this is a daily commute car at best. Can't take it out on long trips. For that, you still need to keep an ICE.

Where you lose a lot of people is this statement right here. Making this statement here, makes the rest of your post fairly difficult to take on face value, because its so far removed from actual reality as it pertains to 2022 and driving a tesla.

Longer range is always better, but a 450 mile EV wont make anyone saying what you just said above say anything different. They will just move the goalposts and act like everyone drives 600 miles on a road trip without stopping.

Question is just that, when is a long range battery (450 miles +) going to arrive?

My car has a 400-mile LONG range battery, and the coming Cybertruck will have a 500-mile option. With superchargers just about everywhere, I've never had any problem getting to where I'm going and returning with "only" 400 miles of range, so I'm wondering why you simply must have "450" miles of range. Tesla already has "long range" batteries., while gas cars have pretty much always had around a 300 mile tank.

Everyone wants lots of range, but as you know, the battery is the most expensive item on the car, by far. On the flip side of the coin, everyone wants to pay as little as possible., so... everyone wants a 500+ mile range car for under $30,000. Sorry. You can't have it, at least not yet, not until batteries become cheap as dirt. I suspect you know all this. You likely are also aware that IF you'd spent about twice what you did, you'd have a long range model S, but what you're really asking, is "When can I get 500 miles of range on a $30,000 Tesla?" It'll be a while.

By the way, Rivian was promising they'd have a 500 mile range battery, but as you notice, they are having a hard time fulfilling that promise, or even staying in business.

While I don't disagree with you more range could be better, for driving with my son and wife we loose very close to zero time on road trips due to charging. My son has a thimble bladder, which he got from me, and even going over the speed limit on the high way you can get over 200 miles of range, which is on average is every 2.5 hours. Charge for 10-30 minutes, while charging pee, eat, stretch, if it's a longer charge we have a frisbee, football, and baseball mitts in the frunk and we play for 10-20 minutes, get back in the car and don't hear a peep out of him until our next stop.

Took our model Y from Detroit to Boston and back no issues what so ever, then the next week went from Detroit to Chicago and back, charged one time in the middle of the state, added 10 minutes of charge in IN to ease any range anxiety and then when we get to our destination while my wife puts the boy to sleep I go and charge the car and watch some HULU for 30-45 minutes before bed.

More range is more cash every time, and more range is almost always more weight which would hurt efficiency. I'm actually more interested into the lower range faster charging batteries especially as the amount of charging stations are increasing carrying all that extra battery weight isn't necessary for everyone. I do know that some people in charging desserts would certainly benefit from more range, and would be willing to pay the premium but I would bet that most people once comfortable with actual miles they get with their cars, and daily use of miles would be just fine with a 200 mile range EV which would be able to hopefully make them more affordable and get more people out of ICE vehicles quicker.

Reactions: E90alex and fstop11
We road trip 3 or 4 times a year from southern IL to southern MD via I-64 to visit our grand kids and NEVER had any issues. In fact we enjoy our Tesla. We are 70 years old and need to take BIO breaks well before the car needs to be charged. I really don’t want to pay for RANGE I don’t need. Now having said that Tesla could offer some OPTIONAL LONG RANGE vehicles for those folks with DEEP POCKETS and BIG BLADDERS.

That means, this is a daily commute car at best. Can't take it out on long trips. For that, you still need to keep an ICE.
For me, I absolutely completely disagree. You've had the car for a day so likely never taken a long trip. I've taken my MX across the USA and back 6 times in the last 5 years and it was a fabulous experience. You need to take more time with the car to understand it :)

Where you lose a lot of people is this statement right here. Making this statement here, makes the rest of your post fairly difficult to take on face value, because its so far removed from actual reality as it pertains to 2022 and driving a tesla.

Longer range is always better, but a 450 mile EV wont make anyone saying what you just said above say anything different. They will just move the goalposts and act like everyone drives 600 miles on a road trip without stopping.
Man I wish I could have said it like that. SPOT ON !

Reactions: FlyF4 and xyeahtony
In flyover country (e.g. Kansas) the chargers are 120 miles apart. This determines your frequency of charging stops more than your battery size. If there were chargers at more highway exits it would be a huge (effective) range boost for my MY!

I don’t need a bigger battery… I need a denser charging network.

(The only case for bigger batteries is towing, IMHO.)

When I travel I see more electric vehicles in and around larger towns and cities. As I get further away from the larger towns and cities I see less of them. How long until semi rural and rural areas see just as many electric cars as people see in places like Nashville

Those are just false statements.

I've taken about 16 road trips since we picked up our car about 9 months ago. One was about 1,000 miles, the rest about 680 miles each. The trips are fun!

The range is not an issue at all. Try it, you'll like it.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: TessP100D and FlyF4
When I travel I see more electric vehicles in and around larger towns and cities. As I get further away from the larger towns and cities I see less of them. How long until semi rural and rural areas see just as many electric cars as people see in places like Nashville

It's a good question. I think there are rural use cases where diesel will remain a viable option for a long time. That said, I'd bet you'll even see farmers and such start to run most of their local energy needs electrically, keeping perhaps one or two IC devices for situations where they must operate away-from-the-farm for long periods.

One of the advantages that Tesla has over other EV manufacturers is the Supercharger network. That is what made the decision for me to buy a Tesla over any other EV. That is what makes road trips possible in our Model 3. Tesla is constantly expanding the Supercharger network. Why use more resources, more mining, add weight to the vehicle? For what? Do you live in one of those few, far out of the way places where it gets very cold and DC charging is not to be found?

Reactions: Dennisis
Strongly disagree with OP. We recently drove from Sacramento to Los Angeles, over 400 miles. Stopped to charge at the halfway point (205 miles) and took a break to eat. The car was ready to go before we were. In reality it didn’t take us any longer to reach LA compared to previous trips with an ICE car. The current range is a good balance for both daily use and road-trips.

I wouldn’t refuse more range but I don’t think it’s all that necessary, especially at even greater weight or price. More range would benefit those towing regularly but you’d need a larger vehicle for that anyways, ala Cybertruck, Rivian R1T, or F150 Lightning.

The only time I sometimes miss extra range is if I'm at a destination for a few days without easily accessible charging. National parks and rural destinations may require a check for destination chargers or a Supercharger within a reasonable distance.

The compensation is that I never have to make a trip to the local gas station every week or two. I charge at home and have a "full" tank every morning.

I used to drive as non-stop as possible in my ICE car and I'd be dead tired at the destination and have to rest for half a day. Now the car does most of the work, I get a chance to walk a bit every two to three hours, and I don't mind driving everyone to dinner the night we arrive. I wouldn't do it any other way.