Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When is ultra Long Range battery coming?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Question is just that, when is a long range battery (450 miles +) going to arrive? if ever?

I have a tesla today and its a great car and I am sold! But range is a major issue right now. The best you can get is 330 miles on a full charge but in reality, after factoring 80% (to keep battery healthy), and real world driving, the range reduces drastically to about 250 miles, give or take. That means, this is a daily commute car at best. Can't take it out on long trips. For that, you still need to keep an ICE.

This is something Elon knows as well that is stopping massive adoption of EVs. Is it realistic to expect a 450+ range by at least 2023?
Um...you know you can get such a product today right? Give your business to the company that makes the car with the range you want: https://www.lucidmotors.com/air

• Funny
Reactions: ucmndd
Um...you know you can get such a product today right? Give your business to the company that makes the car with the range you want: https://www.lucidmotors.com/air

Lucid has shipped a whole 300-odd cars so far, and is still trying to figure out when it can make the next 200 to fill the longest-waiting people.

If you want to just walk up and get one, you're looking at 2023 or 2024 at the earliest.

But hey - it looks great on paper!

Question is just that, when is a long range battery (450 miles +) going to arrive? if ever?

I have a tesla today and its a great car and I am sold! But range is a major issue right now. The best you can get is 330 miles on a full charge but in reality, after factoring 80% (to keep battery healthy), and real world driving, the range reduces drastically to about 250 miles, give or take. That means, this is a daily commute car at best. Can't take it out on long trips. For that, you still need to keep an ICE.

This is something Elon knows as well that is stopping massive adoption of EVs. Is it realistic to expect a 450+ range by at least 2023?
I get where you are coming from. The first few years of owning an EV, is a bit daunting. But over time you will get used to mentally plan and account for destination and lessen your range anxiety. I was as such the first couple of years with the MS. At the time, at100% I was getting 230, nowadays, 212.

I’ve taken it from LA to Utah, to SF, and to LV dozens of times. This coming from an old MS where charging usually around 40ish kw speed.

You will get used to your Y and start enjoying road trips soon.

yoshi10: Welcome to the world of Tesla/EV enthusiasts! Our greeting to you was pretty rough, for sure, but the sentiment is accurate. Range just isn't an issue, once you've adjusted your ICE mindset. It does require a different level of attentiveness.

I think this forum is wonderfully broad, with several sometimes opposing perspectives, which is always healthy. We try to remain civil, which isn't easy when passions are provoked.

Enjoy your new Tesla!

For some usage types, like towing, gas/diesel is certainly still the way to go, and I don't see that changing any time soon. Outside of this, I don't have an issue with 250 miles of actual highway range at 70mph. Approximately a 330 mile range battery can do that. The bigger issue compared to a gas car is the speed of charging, and being forced to stop at places when I'd prefer to stop at "x". I don't foresee a solution to the first issue now. More chargers will help solve the latter, and I'd specifically like to see these at all the highway rest stops.

...the range reduces drastically to about 250 miles, give or take. That means, this is a daily commute car at best. Can't take it out on long trips.

Below is a map of all the currently open superchargers in the US. The blue circle represents a radius of 125 miles from the supercharger. Anywhere you find a spot with no overlapping circles indicates a location that would be more than 250 miles between superchargers. (hint: there aren't many... parts of Montana, the Humboldt National Forest in Nevada, south of Dodge City at the Kansas/Oklahoma state lines, a spot in New Mexico south of Roswell.). You may not be able to take as direct a route to where you are going as you would in an ICE car, but very little of the US is off limits to any of the current Long Range versions of the S,3,X, and Y.

125miRange.png

Below is a map of all the currently open superchargers in the US. The blue circle represents a radius of 125 miles from the supercharger. Anywhere you find a spot with no overlapping circles indicates a location that would be more than 250 miles between superchargers. (hint: there aren't many... parts of Montana, the Humboldt National Forest in Nevada, south of Dodge City at the Kansas/Oklahoma state lines, a spot in New Mexico south of Roswell.). You may not be able to take as direct a route to where you are going as you would in an ICE car, but very little of the US is off limits to any of the current Long Range versions of the S,3,X, and Y.

View attachment 818242
In all fairness, this map may be a bit misleading as you may not be able to travel in a straight line between two superchargers. And, should your travel plans involve spending significant time at a point near the fringes between two superchargers, you could be in trouble.

If you plan an out-and back trip someplace, you're turnaround point might be be outside the 125 mile range from the last supercharger before the turnaround, thus requiring you to drive further away from home to get to a charger before heading back.

But those cases illustrate the need for careful planning should you not be making a simple beeline cross country.

One thing I forgot to note. Driving a Tesla will lessen the range anxiety than other vehicles. Tesla, with their vast charging network and real time SOC EV charge routing integration in their map, it does a pretty good job telling you when and where to stop. Other vehicles like BMW or Hyundai, you rely on ABRP and manual calculation constantly while driving. Tesla does it for you while you drive. Which is, in my opinion, by far superior than anyone out there.

Reactions: theothertom
One thing I forgot to note. Driving a Tesla will lessen the range anxiety than other vehicles. Tesla, with their vast charging network and real time SOC EV charge routing integration in their map, it does a pretty good job telling you when and where to stop. Other vehicles like BMW or Hyundai, you rely on ABRP and manual calculation constantly while driving. Tesla does it for you while you drive. Which is, in my opinion, by far superior than anyone out there.
I agree.
Nevertheless a higher range would be so much appreciated

Back when there was only ONE supercharger in the entire country, wifey and I drove from San Francisco to Coeur d'Alene. We used RV parks, enjoyed taking walks while the car charged, used motels that had RV outlets, and had a great time. Now, I own the Model S Long Range and get near 400 miles on a charge. Can't complain. What I see is most people want lots of range FOR LESS MONEY. This takes time., but with Superchargers almost everywhere, there's not much reason for range anxiety. I think some folks that want "more range" when we already have 400 miles would simply want 500 miles next, or 600, so you're hauling around a YUGE battery that goes unused most of the time.

"Higher Range" doesn't mean much. The battery is the most expensive part of the car, and the heaviest. Hauling around a thousand pounds of battery cuts into range and makes the car drive like a tank. But higher range is available RIGHT NOW, just at a price, so your complaint is not really valid. Tesla compensated for this by putting really fast chargers all over the place, and the empty spots on the map pretty much indicate where no one lives anyway.

As to complaining that the map is inaccurate because "you can't drive in a straight line", here again, spend the money and buy what you need. Also, RV parks are everywhere, and you can charge a car there if you need to.

Hey? I do a 1500 miles trip every three months over two days in my MY. No issues. I struggle to understand why people think 250 mile range is not enough with SUC. We should be stopping regularly for breaks anyway. One poster on here had just completed a trip of several thousand miles across several States.

I wouldn’t complain if someone made a 450+ range EV but my v6 Explorer barely managed 400 miles on a full tank and I always stopped twice for breaks. The only vehicle that did better was my Diesel Tiguan that just edged north of 450 miles per tank.

IMO. Build quality and getting the driver aids working is more important. I love my MY but the driver aids are lacking in quality. It seems Tesla is trying to do everything but becoming a master of none.

When you factor in these things, the car’s range drops drastically. That is fine for daily commutes because I can easily charge at home daily, but it’s a serious limitation on a long trip.

I will report back once I do take the car out on a long trip with my experience.

• Disagree
Reactions: T-Mom
Yoshi10: Unless your "long trips" take you WAY OFF the Interstate network, the battery capacity is NOT a serious limitation. Hundreds (thousands?) of experienced Tesla owners have logged thousands of significant road trip miles.

You simply have to change your point of view, from the ICE 350-400 miles between fueling and the EV 160-220 miles. Sometimes I LIKE the longer range of our Avalon Hybrid, but it really isn't an inconvenience to stop every 2.5-3 hours in an EV.

In Jan of this year, I drove from Houston to Atlanta and back. It was terrible weather for EV efficiency: temps were in the 30's with strong winds in the 15-20mph range almost the entire way. That's a range killer if there ever is one. I was traveling with a pregnant wife and an 18 month old. Not once was there a range anxiety issue. Not once. Now, the trip too longer because I had to make more stops due to the crap weather, but there is just no range anxiety. People seem to forget, 180 miles is probably a good 2.5-3.5 hour drive. A 500 mile drive is easily 9-8hr worth of driving straight. Is it nice to have sure, but is it needed for long distance travel, no.

I was frankly WAY more anxious (pre-trip) about getting a puncture in my tires.

shingles: "I was frankly WAY more anxious (pre-trip) about getting a puncture in my tires."

HAHA! That's a completely different discussion.

Yes. I picked up a nail coming home from picking up the car. Tire went flat in the driveway with 470 miles on the odometer.

No range anxiety with the new car on the first road trip. Flat tire in the driveway the next day.

Long range would be useful with off route. Going to Yosemite or Sequoia where charging is limited and SC are outside the national parks gate. Another useful is in cold weather where you can’t charge higher.

Otherwise, works fine for daily commute or standard routes. Like LA to SF or LA to Vegas.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
The argument is made only by people who compare EV ranges to their gasoline powered counterparts, without taking in other considerations. They just can’t wrap their head around a car that can only go for two hundred something miles instead of 300-400. All the above statements about charging at home, having to pee, stopping after some 200 miles are completely valid, but it’s the biggest strike against the EV they make.

Because, people want 350-400 mile ranges because that’s how much the typical gas car has. So yes, EV’s may actually reach that point, but not much further than that. Why? Too heavy and costly.

Once an EV gets to the same range as an ICE car, the gasoline car range advantage is absolutely, positively, gone. Done. Finished. By that time, there will be a much larger charging infrastructure too.

When that happens, people will find something else to argue about, like fueling time vs. Dc fast charging time. It will get harder to find advantages fas cars have until finally one day, they’re obsolete.

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC