Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When order time comes will it be possible to delay confirming an order?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A new Tesla fan here and was not able to find an answer to my question on the Model S or X forums.

When I placed a preorder for Model 3 I was probably around spot 350,000. I purposely waited so it would give more time to save up more money and also time for possible new upgrades and features to come out. I expect the soonest I could possibly get the opportunity configure my Model 3 is 2019 and possibly not until 2020.

Lets just suppose that is Tesla is able to ramp up product much quicker than expected and sent me an email to request me to configure my Model 3 sooner than I expected.

If I am not ready to order the car yet can I just wait and not do anything until I am ready to order?

Based upon past history what have they allowed customers to do on Model S and Model X preorder reservations?
Did they force users to order their car within X amount of time?
If so, did they lose their spot in line if they did not order their car in time?

Not sure how the Model S orders were/are handled, but pretty sure with the X that people were able to "pass" when it was their time to configure. I don't believe any clock starts except when you completed the configuration, then it's 7 days to confirm. Once confirmed I believe it was $500 to make a change (not sure if that was per change or per change "event") until car entered production.

For those who "passed" I'm sure their spot was affected and pushed back, but no idea once they did decide to configure where they would pop back into the queue. Depending on exact configuration, I suspect it could be sooner or later after confirmation and how it matches up with certain batches that are entering production.

...2019 and possibly not until 2020...

sP3NypN.jpg

Current document does not include the "Deferral" clause. The above is the prior version which is consistent with Model S and X and with the clause:

"you have the option to relinquish your reservation sequence position and defer to a later position to be
determined by us (only one deferral is permitted)."