Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When ordering a Model Y, how can I know for sure what tech will be included before I make my purchase?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
- JULY 2021 -
When ordering a Model Y, will I know for sure before completing my order if my Model Y will come with 4680 battery cells, the new/er heat pump, and what size side mirrors it will come with, etc…??? Personally, I am not the “spend $75k on credit and hope I get the car I want” type of person! Lol

• Funny
Reactions: morbidz
You won't know. Especially if ordering a long range which is ~8month wait. Who knows what Tesla will be including with the car or how they will be building them in 8 months from now. If you order a MYP then you can probably bank on what is being produced now will be what you get as it is only 2-3 month wait.

When your time comes to receive a VIN you can then make a final decision and ditch your order you've been waiting 8+ months for if you don't like what it comes with.

If that doesn't work for you then Tesla isn't for you.

Upvote 0
If they are not listed on the receipt that you pay, they are not required.

Tesla doesn't even list how many kWh is your battery so that particular number is up in the air too.
People keep saying this type of answer but it never sits right. Headliners, doors, and door handles aren’t listed either.

I’m not saying you’re wrong, but just that it’s bullshit. In many ways I do wish Tesla would take the legacy approach of model years.

Also, OP, there are different sized side mirrors?

Upvote 0
You can't and won't know exactly. It's a Tesla I had to just accept it. On balance I love the car despite it's weakness, soft paint, fussy suspension both can be mitigated mix of wrap and quality coatings. Wheels and tire change helps, 3rd party suspension. Yep it costs but I think it's worth it.

Upvote 0
People keep saying this type of answer but it never sits right. Headliners, doors, and door handles aren’t listed either.

I’m not saying you’re wrong, but just that it’s bullshit. In many ways I do wish Tesla would take the legacy approach of model years.

But it’s the honest answer. You don’t have to like or buy it. I personally hope they never go to a legacy format. Just a bad business model with bunched up sales at year end wanting the next model year hoping there is a change. If you like the car you selected to buy you are happy. There will Always be improvements forever on Every model car.

Reactions: VegasMYP
Upvote 0
It is not right but that is how it is practiced in Tesla.

Model S and X always had fobs at the delivery. The practice is not listed and Tesla has never announced any changes.

Now, starting from 7/1/2022, new owners are caught off guard and reporting that those fobs are now extra.

Anyhow, back to the thread: We can guess but in Tesla's World, if it's not documented, it's just a guess.

Right now, the only source of 4680 is from Fremont and we know that they have made 1 million cells.

That sounds a lot but a car needs thousands so that is barely a few thousand cars.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
But it’s the honest answer. You don’t have to like or buy it. I personally hope they never go to a legacy format. Just a bad business model with bunched up sales at year end wanting the next model year hoping there is a change. If you like the car you selected to buy you are happy. There will Always be improvements forever on Every model car.
Guys, it’s not mutually exclusive. Personally, I would rather see TESLA ditch the legacy “model year” and go with production build numbers that mimic software. (i.e. 2022.6.44 = Built in JUN2022, 44th build revision, etc.)
BOTTOM LINE: Model year or not, let customers know what is under the hood of what they are buying well ahead of time and let them make an informed purchase decision!

Upvote 0
It is not right but that is how it is practiced in Tesla.

Model S and X always had fobs at the delivery. The practice is not listed and Tesla has never announced any changes.

Now, starting from 7/1/2022, new owners are caught off guard and reporting that those fobs are now extra.

Anyhow, back to the thread: We can guess but in Tesla's World, if it's not documented, it's just a guess.

Right now, the only source of 4680 is from Fremont and we know that they have made 1 million cells.

That sounds a lot but a car needs thousands so that is barely a few thousand cars.
What you said about only 4680’s coming from Fremont is not accurate. Just watched a “Munroe Live” episode wherein M&A was given the purchase option of a new Model Y built with 4680’s in Giga-Texas, and they stripped the whole car, demonstrating the new two-part body casting with the structural battery pack. TESLA is bolting and welding the seat risers directly to the F-ing battery pack! M&A removed the structural battery pack from the body, and there was no floor remaining attached to the carriage when they did so. The structural battery pack IS the floor!

Upvote 0

Yes. If I recall correctly, early Model Y side mirrors were larger and came equipped with anti-fog and, I think, auto-dimming as well. Then, newer builds of the Model Y began to be delivered with smaller side mirrors, possibly the same Model 3 side mirrors. Personally, I think a larger vehicle (i.e. SUV) should have larger mirrors, as the Model Y is taller and sits higher and is about 3-in wider. It is, altogether, a larger vehicle. Plus, auto-folding, auto-dimming, and auto-fog mirrors are always nicer!

Upvote 0
BOTTOM LINE: Model year or not, let customers know what is under the hood of what they are buying well ahead of time and let them make an informed purchase decision!
As others have said, Tesla is continually making improvements so it is impossible for them to tell you what a car that will be delivered in 6 or 10 months will exactly have under the hood. Tesla makes roughly 100 changes per month to each model (as per Joe Justice). In order to fulfill your request they would have to stifle their innovation which would be throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

The important things, like (EPA) range and acceleration are given. Would you really base your purchase decision on something like the passenger seat lumbar support adjustment? What information do you think is lacking that would affect your decision to purchase or not?

Some changes are negatives. The worst one I'm aware is the removal of data usb ports in the center console. You now have to pay for the mobile charging connector. Radar was removed but I'm unclear if that is a negative or positive.

Cool new things that got added include: the Ryzen processor, bioweapon defense mode, more double paned glass, lithium ion "12v" battery, heated wiper park, improved windshield washer nozzle. Other things are added with OTA updates such as the recently added "chime on green lights" (spouse mode) which is a really great feature.

The newer cars are generally better than the older cars. If you like what is being delivered now then you will almost certainly like what gets delivered in 6 months. If you don't then you can turn around and sell it for a profit.

Reactions: SalisburySam
Upvote 0
As others have said, Tesla is continually making improvements so it is impossible for them to tell you what a car that will be delivered in 6 or 10 months will exactly have under the hood. Tesla makes roughly 100 changes per month to each model (as per Joe Justice). In order to fulfill your request they would have to stifle their innovation which would be throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

The important things, like (EPA) range and acceleration are given. Would you really base your purchase decision on something like the passenger seat lumbar support adjustment? What information do you think is lacking that would affect your decision to purchase or not?

Some changes are negatives. The worst one I'm aware is the removal of data usb ports in the center console. You now have to pay for the mobile charging connector. Radar was removed but I'm unclear if that is a negative or positive.

Cool new things that got added include: the Ryzen processor, bioweapon defense mode, more double paned glass, lithium ion "12v" battery, heated wiper park, improved windshield washer nozzle. Other things are added with OTA updates such as the recently added "chime on green lights" (spouse mode) which is a really great feature.

The newer cars are generally better than the older cars. If you like what is being delivered now then you will almost certainly like what gets delivered in 6 months. If you don't then you can turn around and sell it for a profit.
I see no reason why TESLA can’t stipulate as of “today” what will be under the hood of the TESLA I am seeking to purchase. As they make changes and updates, that list of tech pedigrees can and should be updated in real time. In tech, data is the new oil, so I see no reason why they can’t provide real-time updates to (would-be) customers on what their (potential) purchase will include.

As for basing my purchase decision, if I am shelling out $72k+ for a Model Y, I want to be assured that it will have 4680 cells (specifically), since that is their latest battery tech.

Upvote 0
I see no reason why TESLA can’t stipulate as of “today” what will be under the hood of the TESLA I am seeking to purchase. As they make changes and updates, that list of tech pedigrees can and should be updated in real time. In tech, data is the new oil, so I see no reason why they can’t provide real-time updates to (would-be) customers on what their (potential) purchase will include.

As for basing my purchase decision, if I am shelling out $72k+ for a Model Y, I want to be assured that it will have 4680 cells (specifically), since that is their latest battery tech.
Tesla is not obligated to provide more than what is required to be on the Monroney sticker and they off themselves of further obligation as stipulated in their order agreement.

It will be nice if they do (provide other specs such as HV Battery Type, etc) but they are not mandated by US regulation to do so. They satisfy the Monroney requirement by listing generic info on specs, unfortunately.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220709-015437_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    Screenshot_20220709-015437_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 172
  • 20220709_022714.jpg
    20220709_022714.jpg
    326.3 KB · Views: 68
Upvote 0
Tesla is not obligated to provide more than what is required to be on the Monroney sticker and they off themselves of further obligation as stipulated in their order agreement.

It will be nice if they do (provide other specs such as HV Battery Type, etc) but they are not mandated by US regulation to do so. They satisfy the Monroney requirement by listing generic info on specs, unfortunately.

No one said anything about legalities. This is a free market. I am the customer, and that is what I want to see. They are free not to provide it, and I am free to purchase a vehicle from another auto-maker if I don’t like it. Customer feedback is one of the things that has helped many companies like TESLA to offer superior products, but only if they employ said feedback.

Upvote 0
- JULY 2021 -
When ordering a Model Y, will I know for sure before completing my order if my Model Y will come with 4680 battery cells, the new/er heat pump, and what size side mirrors it will come with, etc…??? Personally, I am not the “spend $75k on credit and hope I get the car I want” type of person! Lol
Everything that is promised. Sometimes Tesla errs and gives you more

Upvote 0
It’s pretty easy, what you select when ordering the car is what you’ll get.
  • Long Range or Standard Range
  • Exterior Color
  • Interior color
  • Wheel size
  • 5 or 7 seats
  • Basic AP, EAP, FSD
Just like any other car, you’ll get a choice of color, wheels, passenger capacity, and “engine” size.
Just like any other car brand, if you don’t like it then buy something else. You’re not entitled to anything more than what you order.

Upvote 0
Again, you are asking for the impossible. Although there were a few Model Ys with 4680s for sale in Florida. Tesla does not know exactly how fast 4680 production will ramp up. It doesn't matter how much the car costs. The price has nothing to do with precise knowledge of the 4680 production ramp.

If you have your heart set on getting a Model Y with 4680 batteries then you should hold off on ordering. If the 4680 ramp is successful then eventually all Model Ys will be built with them. And there is a good chance a model with 4680s will be available for sale on their web site well before then.

OTOH, the waiting game can be a poor strategy because by the time 4680 batteries become ubiquitous (or at least available in certain models) there may be some other new technology on the horizon that seems worth waiting for. YMMVG, but IMO the best purchase strategy is to buy a low mileage used or demo car with the features you want. BTW: used and demo cars from Tesla all come with FSD but you can remove it as part of the purchase process (just like you can add it when buying a new car).

In addition, 4680s are not revolutionizing the driving or the specs of the Model Y. This will probably happen someday since both the Cybertruck and the Semi appear to depend on the better specs of the 4680s. IIUC, the primary benefit now is they make the cars cheaper and easier to produce:

Reactions: fishy21
Upvote 0
No one said anything about legalities. This is a free market. I am the customer, and that is what I want to see. They are free not to provide it, and I am free to purchase a vehicle from another auto-maker if I don’t like it. Customer feedback is one of the things that has helped many companies like TESLA to offer superior products, but only if they employ said feedback.
You might want to do some research. Customer service is one of the lowest priority when it comes to their cars.

They have a 9-12 month waiting list right now….

Upvote 0