Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When Paying So Much For A Car What Do You Think Should Be Standard?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was somewhat surprised that my almost-new (demonstrator) 2016 P90D didn't include the premium package with the additional lighting and power liftgate. I was even more surprised when I recently drove an entry level Audi Q5 while my Model S was being serviced. The Q5 had no parking sensors, no back up camera, no push button start... but it did have a power liftgate!

Many things should be standard, but car companies make them options. They option as many things as they can get away with. No 1 at doing that is Porsche in which basically everything is optional.

Model S is pretty well optioned, except for leather seats; those should be standard (or some sort of synthetic that's just as good for those who don't want leather. Oh a basic sunroof should be standard.

+1 this I agree especially on the sunroof part. A 09-14 Nissan Maxima had a basic single sunroof as standard across the board no matter what trim level you had. And have the option to remove it if you dont want it. Most "Luxury" cars that are above 60k+ have a sunroof as standard.

I was somewhat surprised that my almost-new (demonstrator) 2016 P90D didn't include the premium package with the additional lighting and power liftgate. I was even more surprised when I recently drove an entry level Audi Q5 while my Model S was being serviced. The Q5 had no parking sensors, no back up camera, no push button start... but it did have a power liftgate!

Thats the biggest one. PLG should be standard also along with the extra lighting on the interior. PUP should add in things like massaging front seats, Color Changing Option for interior lighting, Heated and Vented Rear Seats etc......

Adjustable shoulder straps, sunglass holder, lighted vanity mirrors, pockets in the doors (generally more storage), larger frunk without biodefense filter, coat hooks, grab handles, iOS Carplay / Andriod Auto, iOS/Android integration through USB.

These are notable things that just about any car has today, just not a Model S.

I had no idea frunks were in just about any car. Especially larger ones without BDF. I agree with most of your points other than this. I did not get a Tesla for these amenities but I did expect more storage and some of the basic frills like lighted vanity mirrors (which I've never used but maybe my wife would). I mean a lot of your list was available on cars 20 years ago.

Paint protection.

I don't care that no one (that I know) does it. But, come on.. WTF? You ship a car with pathetic paint, and there are some seriously awesome paint protection products on the market. What gives?

Aside from that I'm someone that prefers a lot of things to be standard.

Paint Color. Don't ding me because I want blue versus black
Seats - Some of us simple want different kinds of seats
Battery - In 2-5 years we'll hopefully reach a point where the battery size is pretty standard.
Fog lights - Really? In a car in this class?
Heated Steering wheel - This like a gift from god. Why not give a little love?

Now with that being said the base Model S is certainly a lot more attractive now days than it was.

They used to have a tech package on what should be the most technically advanced car in the world. That was complete, and utter ridiculousness.

Reactions: ThisIsTrue
The Tesla grin is almost permanent with me :) With that being said I do think that power lift gate should be standard or at least not part of a bloated premium package. I've spent a little too much time in a car repair shop lately and they tell me that damage to the lift gate is VERY common because it opens more than pretty much every hatch on the market. With power lift gate you would have the ability to modify how much it opens and minimize potential costly damage. That feature is too standard on other lesser cars to not be included in the Tesla standard equipment.

The paint is also an issue that Tesla will have to address. It being the only car currently manufactured in California (I think) it is really behind with regard to the quality and strength of the paint finish. That may not be a problem with people that baby their cars (most people spending $100k+ on a car are okay with only hand washing their car with unicorn hide and fairy tears) but once the Model 3 comes out there will be a lot of really angry people with paint swirls after taking it to the expensive car wash that uses oil stained dirty towels to dry the car off.