TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

When Paying So Much For A Car What Do You Think Should Be Standard?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by P85DBeast, Dec 16, 2016.

Tags:
  1. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

Exactly. The new 60 was the only way I was able to realistically afford the Model S that I have.

• Like x 1
  2. dj905

dj905 Member

I was somewhat surprised that my almost-new (demonstrator) 2016 P90D didn't include the premium package with the additional lighting and power liftgate. I was even more surprised when I recently drove an entry level Audi Q5 while my Model S was being serviced. The Q5 had no parking sensors, no back up camera, no push button start... but it did have a power liftgate!

3. P85DBeast

P85DBeast Side tEsLa

+1 this I agree especially on the sunroof part. A 09-14 Nissan Maxima had a basic single sunroof as standard across the board no matter what trim level you had. And have the option to remove it if you dont want it. Most "Luxury" cars that are above 60k+ have a sunroof as standard.

4. P85DBeast

P85DBeast Side tEsLa

Thats the biggest one. PLG should be standard also along with the extra lighting on the interior. PUP should add in things like massaging front seats, Color Changing Option for interior lighting, Heated and Vented Rear Seats etc......

5. OBX John

OBX John Autonomous Driving Enthusiast

They have a very efficient pricing model - they capture cheapskates like me, while also taking a nice profit from those who want the upgrades. I'm fine with a fairly basic "standard" car if that's what makes it affordable - most of the cost is in the battery anyway right?

• Like x 2
  6. croman

croman Active Member

I had no idea frunks were in just about any car. Especially larger ones without BDF. I agree with most of your points other than this. I did not get a Tesla for these amenities but I did expect more storage and some of the basic frills like lighted vanity mirrors (which I've never used but maybe my wife would). I mean a lot of your list was available on cars 20 years ago.

7. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

Paint protection.

I don't care that no one (that I know) does it. But, come on.. WTF? You ship a car with pathetic paint, and there are some seriously awesome paint protection products on the market. What gives?

Aside from that I'm someone that prefers a lot of things to be standard.

Paint Color. Don't ding me because I want blue versus black
    Seats - Some of us simple want different kinds of seats
    Battery - In 2-5 years we'll hopefully reach a point where the battery size is pretty standard.
    Fog lights - Really? In a car in this class?
    Heated Steering wheel - This like a gift from god. Why not give a little love?

Now with that being said the base Model S is certainly a lot more attractive now days than it was.

They used to have a tech package on what should be the most technically advanced car in the world. That was complete, and utter ridiculousness.

• Like x 1
  8. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

Shocking acceleration and a flight attendant.

9. MSBanx

MSBanx Member

The Tesla grin is almost permanent with me :) With that being said I do think that power lift gate should be standard or at least not part of a bloated premium package. I've spent a little too much time in a car repair shop lately and they tell me that damage to the lift gate is VERY common because it opens more than pretty much every hatch on the market. With power lift gate you would have the ability to modify how much it opens and minimize potential costly damage. That feature is too standard on other lesser cars to not be included in the Tesla standard equipment.

The paint is also an issue that Tesla will have to address. It being the only car currently manufactured in California (I think) it is really behind with regard to the quality and strength of the paint finish. That may not be a problem with people that baby their cars (most people spending $100k+ on a car are okay with only hand washing their car with unicorn hide and fairy tears) but once the Model 3 comes out there will be a lot of really angry people with paint swirls after taking it to the expensive car wash that uses oil stained dirty towels to dry the car off.