Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When power limiting is normal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I observed power restriction on my 42k miles 12.2014 S85 with abot 65-70% charge and ~80F outside temp after 25-30 miles drive on freeway at speed of 70 MPH. Before the drive the car was charged to 80% in about 70F garage and the charge was completed nore than 6 hours before the drive. At full throttle it accelerates with max power showed on das to be at 300 KW from speed ot about 55 mph. At speed of about 80-85 the yellow warning sign appears on the power dial and shortly dashed line was displayed rapidly limiting/decreasing power / i can see it literally pushing back the green arch/.

Is this normal or I have a problem?

Thanks

Hi all,

I observed power restriction on my 42k miles 12.2014 S85 with abot 65-70% charge and ~80F outside temp after 25-30 miles drive on freeway at speed of 70 MPH. Before the drive the car was charged to 80% in about 70F garage and the charge was completed nore than 6 hours before the drive. At full throttle it accelerates with max power showed on das to be at 300 KW from speed ot about 55 mph. At speed of about 80-85 the yellow warning sign appears on the power dial and shortly dashed line was displayed rapidly limiting/decreasing power / i can see it literally pushing back the green arch/.

Is this normal or I have a problem?

Thanks
"pushing back the green arch" so you mean regen power limit, not acceleration limit? How long does this restriction last?

My bad, not green but orange - actively reducing power. The regen is unrestricted
For new seconds or for a long time? Few seconds can happen from time to time, for a long time the battery may be overheating, With 80F outside it may happen if you drive 70mph uphill. One this I would check is whether the front louvers/vents are opening ok and are unobstructed. Usually they open briefly when first plugged in to any charger. When supercharging fast they open and stay open while the fans are going (you can hear them).

I didn't want to risk my driver's license and tested it for like 10 seconds but the power wa getting lower since it first started to restrict it. I will try to film it
It could be overheating. Btw, on a track the car will do that no matter what. I've experienced temporary limits when driving through the mountains in a "spirited" fashion at 50F or 60F.

In the winter the battery is cold and the power is restricted. In the summer the battery is hot and the power is restricted. I am confused ;)
No different than you, when you're freezing you risk hypothermia, when it's too hot, you risk heat exhaustion or stroke. For most things on this earth, there is usually an optimum temperature for optimum performance. :)

Reactions: jaguar36
That's why car has temperature management system
So does your body (sweating, shivering, heat generation, panting, etc) ;) Like every system it's not instantaneous and it has limits. It is well known Tesla's don't do well on race tracks after a lap or two. It gets worse if the thermal management is impeded like the louvers not opening of being plugged with leaves or other stuff, hence my suggestion to check them.

Reactions: jaguar36
Similar thing has repeatedly happened to me recently. It's happened early in the AM and mostly when its warm and I'v had some spirited driving and roll on stints. I get the decreased power and the more it heats the less power I get and eventually limits me at any speed.
IMG_2731.jpg