TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

When power limiting is normal?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Acho, Apr 8, 2018.

1. Acho

Acho Member

Hi all,

I observed power restriction on my 42k miles 12.2014 S85 with abot 65-70% charge and ~80F outside temp after 25-30 miles drive on freeway at speed of 70 MPH. Before the drive the car was charged to 80% in about 70F garage and the charge was completed nore than 6 hours before the drive. At full throttle it accelerates with max power showed on das to be at 300 KW from speed ot about 55 mph. At speed of about 80-85 the yellow warning sign appears on the power dial and shortly dashed line was displayed rapidly limiting/decreasing power / i can see it literally pushing back the green arch/.

Is this normal or I have a problem?

Thanks

2. whitex

whitex Well-Known Member

"pushing back the green arch" so you mean regen power limit, not acceleration limit? How long does this restriction last?

3. Acho

Acho Member

My bad, not green but orange - actively reducing power. The regen is unrestricted

4. whitex

whitex Well-Known Member

For new seconds or for a long time? Few seconds can happen from time to time, for a long time the battery may be overheating, With 80F outside it may happen if you drive 70mph uphill. One this I would check is whether the front louvers/vents are opening ok and are unobstructed. Usually they open briefly when first plugged in to any charger. When supercharging fast they open and stay open while the fans are going (you can hear them).

5. Acho

Acho Member

I didn't want to risk my driver's license and tested it for like 10 seconds but the power wa getting lower since it first started to restrict it. I will try to film it

6. whitex

whitex Well-Known Member

It could be overheating. Btw, on a track the car will do that no matter what. I've experienced temporary limits when driving through the mountains in a "spirited" fashion at 50F or 60F.

7. Acho

Acho Member

In the winter the battery is cold and the power is restricted. In the summer the battery is hot and the power is restricted. I am confused ;)

8. whitex

whitex Well-Known Member

No different than you, when you're freezing you risk hypothermia, when it's too hot, you risk heat exhaustion or stroke. For most things on this earth, there is usually an optimum temperature for optimum performance. :)

• Like x 1
  9. Acho

Acho Member

That's why car has temperature management system

10. whitex

whitex Well-Known Member

So does your body (sweating, shivering, heat generation, panting, etc) ;) Like every system it's not instantaneous and it has limits. It is well known Tesla's don't do well on race tracks after a lap or two. It gets worse if the thermal management is impeded like the louvers not opening of being plugged with leaves or other stuff, hence my suggestion to check them.

• Like x 1
  11. Don TLR

Don TLR Active Member

Similar thing has repeatedly happened to me recently. It's happened early in the AM and mostly when its warm and I'v had some spirited driving and roll on stints. I get the decreased power and the more it heats the less power I get and eventually limits me at any speed. IMG_2731.jpg

12. ngng

ngng Member

disappointing to hear about the power limiting. i drive quite a bit up and over our local mountain (hwy 17/9/34) and would be super annoyed if it happened often :(

13. SSonnentag

SSonnentag Rocket Scientist

When it's 110+ degrees outside I can only do a couple of hard runs before getting limited power. It goes away after only a minute or so though, so you can hit it again. :)

14. ngng

ngng Member

110+...i don't envy you. I'm in 105 weather today and it's horrible. how do you define "hard run"?

15. Don TLR

Don TLR Active Member

Lots of full throttle runs,, consecutive. I ran a few mountain roads that I used to drag a knee on riding two wheels and had no problem at speed. It only happens when I'm really hard on the car.

• Like x 1
  16. SSonnentag

SSonnentag Rocket Scientist

At 110 degrees, three back-to-back 0-100 mph runs will bring on limited power.

• Funny x 1
  17. ngng

ngng Member

thanks for the info. sounds like I need to rent a S and do some mt runs

• Like x 1