Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When should the charge cable button open the charge port?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I get home and go to plug the car in one of three things happens:
1. I take the charge cable off the wall hanger, get near the port, push the button on the cable and the port opens automatically.

2. I push the button on the cable and nothing happens and I can’t manually open the port either (this occurs when the car thinks I’ve walked away and locks itself just from me walking to the front of the car where the cable is hanging. So, it’s kind of annoying but at least I know what’s happening).

3. The button on the charge cable won’t open the charge port, but the car is still unlocked and I can manually open the port by pushing on the charge port door.

Anybody know what would cause behavior #3?

I have only had my car for a few days, and then flew out of town for holidays; so I have no first hand experience.

I have seen a YouTube video where they touch the rear driver side door handle to wake up the car, then the button on the charger opens the port.

Anybody know what would cause behavior #3?

#3 happens to me occasionally too, haven't figured it out. Even with front door open, car unlocked and on, seems like there's an intermittent problem with the wand sending the signal or the car receiving it. When this happens it always works to touch the charge port door to get it to open.

I had the car for several months before this started happening....then it happened off and on for a couple weeks, and it's been a month or so since I had the issue so maybe software related? No idea.