Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When should we expect the 100d to be available?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If 100D will cost more than 90D, Tesla could start taking orders for the 100Ds, since they are already quoting delivery of 90Ds for December or later. For those people waiting for the 100D and willing to pay more, doing that likely would not discourage 90D sales (at the lower price point).

I sure hope you guys are right, because I pushed back delivery of my order to March to have a shot at upgrading the order to the 100D. I have high hopes for the increased range that the new tech will have without the burden of performance.

Of course, it would also be nice to get a software limited 90D at the same price. I wonder what you all think about the idea that with a limited 90 in a 100 full capacity, you could supercharge fast to the 80% of 100 full capacity, which give you 80kwh. But 80kwh would be 89% of the 90 you actually paid for. So in essence, you could get fast charge to 89% instead of 80%. Also, as has been previously mentioned in other posts, you could always charge to 100% of the 90kwh capacity because you're only charging to 90% of the full 100. With that in mind, it might make more sense to stay with the software limited 90D, if that's offered, than upgrade to the 100D, although with the 100D you would still have access to that extra 10% during long trips.

Of course, it would also be nice to get a software limited 90D at the same price. I wonder what you all think about the idea that with a limited 90 in a 100 full capacity, you could supercharge fast to the 80% of 100 full capacity, which give you 80kwh. But 80kwh would be 89% of the 90 you actually paid for. So in essence, you could get fast charge to 89% instead of 80%. Also, as has been previously mentioned in other posts, you could always charge to 100% of the 90kwh capacity because you're only charging to 90% of the full 100. With that in mind, it might make more sense to stay with the software limited 90D, if that's offered, than upgrade to the 100D, although with the 100D you would still have access to that extra 10% during long trips.

Highly unlikely that they will make a software limited 90D. Only reason they do that is to try and entice buyers at the low end and hope for a future upgrade. Tesla assumes that if the 90/100 is to expensive for you you'll just go with the 60 or 75. There is a very very slim chance that they'll start filling 90D orders with 100 packs just before they introduce the 100, but there would be no way to know when to order to do that.

Reactions: vandacca
I saw a P100DL on the road here in Southern California last week.
Where I live P100D X and S are not unusual at all. The question this thread (and several others on TMC) is posing is when the "non P" 100D version will be available to order. And we don't know. But it seems reasonable to say "Sometime in the next 6 months but definitely not before the end of 2016".

Highly unlikely that they will make a software limited 90D. Only reason they do that is to try and entice buyers at the low end and hope for a future upgrade. Tesla assumes that if the 90/100 is to expensive for you you'll just go with the 60 or 75. There is a very very slim chance that they'll start filling 90D orders with 100 packs just before they introduce the 100, but there would be no way to know when to order to do that.
Your reasoning makes sense, specially in my case where they already have an order in hand, so they know they have me for a 90D. The only incentive for them would be to get me to spend an extra $7k or $10k to go to the higher battery. Oh well, I still would want to get that upgrade to the 100.

Also aren't the 90 and 100 packs different chemically? So it's not a matter of putting in a few more cells and limiting it. It's a completely different part.

They could choose to not sell software limited 100 packs to 90 as a specific option, but if they streamline production to just 75/100 packs, they could software limit those that ordered a 90 pack that have not been delivered yet.

Also aren't the 90 and 100 packs different chemically? So it's not a matter of putting in a few more cells and limiting it. It's a completely different part.
Perhaps I didn't make myself clear. I wasn't talking about modifying my car, I was talking about changing my order to the 100d before my car ever got built. It's not scheduled to go into production until late Feb or early March.

564421_10151997195954111_1714469648_n.jpg