Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When should we sell our Model 3 P before our Model Y is delivered?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have a 2022 Model 3 Performance with 6,000 miles we purchased April 2022 and had planned on selling it before or after we accept delivery of our Model Y Long Range currently scheduled between Nov 5 to Dec 15. Now that the Inflation Bill appears will pass and go into effect 2023 we are trying to determine the best time we should sell our Model 3. There is a lot of speculation that Tesla may have to raise their prices to suppress demand if their prices will be reduced by this Inflation Bill by $7500. If that is true then it would seem that used Tesla prices would increase even more than they are now. We do not have to sell in order to accept delivery of our Model Y although it would be preferred, but if the price could potentially increase significantly in 2023 for our used 2022 M3P we could wait and sell after we get the Model Y.

Looking for thoughts from all the smart folks on this forum on what they think we should do. Thanks!

• Funny
Reactions: Adam3
We have a 2022 Model 3 Performance with 6,000 miles we purchased April 2022 and had planned on selling it before or after we accept delivery of our Model Y Long Range currently scheduled between Nov 5 to Dec 15. Now that the Inflation Bill appears will pass and go into effect 2023 we are trying to determine the best time we should sell our Model 3. There is a lot of speculation that Tesla may have to raise their prices to suppress demand if their prices will be reduced by this Inflation Bill by $7500. If that is true then it would seem that used Tesla prices would increase even more than they are now. We do not have to sell in order to accept delivery of our Model Y although it would be preferred, but if the price could potentially increase significantly in 2023 for our used 2022 M3P we could wait and sell after we get the Model Y.

Looking for thoughts from all the smart folks on this forum on what they think we should do. Thanks!
Whenever you need to?

Sounds like this is a personal situation and you’re asking for advice from strangers on the internet.

No one can tell you when your vehicle will be delivered. No one can tell you if Tesla will be raising prices. No one can tell you if the potential tax credit will become a reality or whether it will apply to your purchase.

Whenever you need to?

Sounds like this is a personal situation and you’re asking for advice from strangers on the internet.

No one can tell you when your vehicle will be delivered. No one can tell you if Tesla will be raising prices. No one can tell you if the potential tax credit will become a reality or whether it will apply to your purchase.
200.gif

Reactions: morbidz

All but the least expensive Tesla's will miss the maximum cost threshold for a rebate so I'm not sure how much that will actually affect Tesla...

At the moment, I would not time any sale or purchase based upon whether or not I got a tax credit, especially if it's not a done deal yet. My only concern would be: what if my new car had a problem and needed to go into service for a unknown amount of time? Do you have another vehicle that could get you through the issue? You can't rely on Tesla having a loaner and maybe Uber credits would not work in your situation. I kept (my sidelined) 2000 BMW for a year after getting my 2018 M3 RWD. Fortunately I did not have any problems with the 3 and I got rid of the Bimmer.

Interesting. I usually get some good information on this forum, but not this one Lol! Anyway, if anyone does actually read my post and what I’m asking for please give me your thoughts. I can sell now or I can sell after delivery. We have alternate transportation. We have cash and don’t have to sell our current M3P. Just getting ideas on what people think the used Tesla market will do with the knowledge we have now.

• Disagree
Reactions: afadeev and Adam3
Whenever you need to?

Dude, forum much! Any question in a forum is to strangers. You obviously didn’t read my post. If you have zero feedback why bother responding.

Interesting. I usually get some good information on this forum, but not this one Lol! Anyway, if anyone does actually read my post and what I’m asking for please give me your thoughts. I can sell now or I can sell after delivery. We have alternate transportation. We have cash and don’t have to sell our current M3P. Just getting ideas on what people think the used Tesla market will do with the knowledge we have now.
Lets just say that no one can predict future price for used cars including our M3P, so here's my 2 cents.

I am in a somewhat the same boat as you.

I recently got some valuation for my 2022 M3P (6K miles) and range is at $60K to $61K last week, $59.6K now. I paid $62K out the door. I have a 2022 MYP valued by Vroom at $68K (today), $69.9K by Driveway (last week). I paid $64.7K for it last March.

I have to decide which one to let go for when this LR Model X (EDD Sep-Oct 2022) arrives. But since the MYP is +3K then I will let that go now because it seems to me, used car prices are going down. We have a 3rd car as alternate while waiting for the X.

The $7500 rebate/credit is not yet in effect, and as drafted, it's not applicable to M3P or M3LR since the are >$55K. Not sure how that affects used M3P price.

So the question is, what's in it for you if you sold the M3P now?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220806-145913_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20220806-145913_Samsung Internet.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 113
  • Screenshot_20220806-145948_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20220806-145948_Gmail.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Lets just say that no one can predict future price for used cars including our M3P, so here's my 2 cents.

I am in a somewhat the same boat as you.

I recently got some valuation for my 2022 M3P (6K miles) and range is at $60K to $61K last week, $59.6K now. I paid $62K out the door. I have a 2022 MYP valued by Vroom at $68K (today), $69.9K by Driveway (last week). I paid $64.7K for it last March.

I have to decide which one to let go for when this LR Model X (EDD Sep-Oct 2022) arrives. But since the MYP is +3K then I will let that go now because it seems to me, used car prices are going down. We have a 3rd car as alternate while waiting for the X.

The $7500 rebate/credit is not yet in effect, and as drafted, it's not applicable to M3P or M3LR since the are >$55K. Not sure how that affects used M3P price.

So the question is, what's in it for you if you sold the M3P now?
Thanks good info! Yeah, it’s a crapshoot on when to sell. Good point on the M3 not eligible. We may go ahead and see what we can get now while we know used prices are still high. Love the car, but might have to give up having a Tesla for a few months. Have you thought about trying sell as a private sale? I’m sure you can get more but seems like a lot of risk with such an expensive transaction. May not be worth the risk. Thanks

Don’t like reality much?

I, along with several other w members, provided the correct answers. If you’re looking for some sort of confirmation bias, someone else will be along shortly.
Again as I said, why bother replying when you offering nothing to the conversation? Of course nobody knows for sure or can predict the future. I did not ask anyone to do that. There are data points available that we (the collective in the forum) can speculate on possible future outcomes. Some data points I know and some I’ve never thought of and that’s the point of tapping other’s ideas. Not looking for confirmation I’m looking for different perspectives. Saying things like “Whenever you need to?” or “Nobody can tell you when your car can be delivered.” are obvious statements that offer nothing to the conversation.

Whenever you need to?

No one can tell you when your vehicle will be delivered. No one can tell you if Tesla will be raising prices. No one can tell you if the potential tax credit will become a reality or whether it will apply to your purchase.”

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: davewill and glide
Thanks good info! Yeah, it’s a crapshoot on when to sell. Good point on the M3 not eligible. We may go ahead and see what we can get now while we know used prices are still high. Love the car, but might have to give up having a Tesla for a few months. Have you thought about trying sell as a private sale? I’m sure you can get more but seems like a lot of risk with such an expensive transaction. May not be worth the risk. Thanks
I am not comfortable with private sale for this much of a car, and had been successful dealing with Driveway/Cargurus before, so I'll just go this route.

Of course nobody knows for sure or can predict the future. I did not ask anyone to do that.
You literally did ask for that.

There are data points available that we (the collective in the forum) can speculate on possible future outcomes. Some data points I know and some I’ve never thought of and that’s the point of tapping other’s ideas.
Yeah? Like what? Everything in this thread is anecdotal at best. Please direct us towards these “data points”.

Historical sales data is not indicative of future sales. Otherwise we would all be billionaires, no?

(moderator note)

While I understand the frustration of some over the question this thread is based on, I want to recommend people annoyed with the question to simply ignore the thread and move on to another one.

We will likely see dozens of threads asking some variation of this exact question, as well as ones talking about "how can I order now and delay till after Jan 1" as we move toward the end of the year. If people are not interested in that discussion, its my recommendation to just move to another thread rather than get into a back and forth with someone for posting it, because that usually ends up in a place where I need to take some moderation action or other.

(moderator note)

While I understand the frustration of some over the question this thread is based on, I want to recommend people annoyed with the question to simply ignore the thread and move on to another one.

We will likely see dozens of threads asking some variation of this exact question, as well as ones talking about "how can I order now and delay till after Jan 1" as we move toward the end of the year. If people are not interested in that discussion, its my recommendation to just move to another thread rather than get into a back and forth with someone for posting it, because that usually ends up in a place where I need to take some moderation action or other.
Exactly! I don’t understand why anyone would get frustrated with the question since I am just seeking opinions of others, but as you said, if it frustrates then move on and don’t engage. I did get some good feedback from several people. Thank you.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: glide
(moderator note)

So riddle me this, why are mods allowing so many versions of the same unanswerable question?