Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When Tesla will catch up with Waymo and Cruise at delivering L4?

When Tesla will deliver L4 on the level Waymo and Cruise have today?

Votes: 7 7.3%

Votes: 14 14.6%

Votes: 17 17.7%

Votes: 11 11.5%

Votes: 15 15.6%
  • Never

Votes: 32 33.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is like comparing a million dollar concept car where only one or two copies will ever be made and a Toyota Corolla and asking which one is better. For 99.999% of all people, the Corolla is better because they can actually obtain that car.
You say this corrola is 5-10 years ahead of everyone else. Well simple question, when will this corrola do what every one is already doing.

Everyone is stating Tesla isn't developing L4/L5. Weren't we JUST told by a certain big person at Tesla, L5, that is what they are working on and he'd be shocked if don't have L5 by the end of 2022? That is what I heard last week in the profit call.

Which is it? $12k for L2 or L5?
See the multiple other threads complaining about these SAE levels and how they force a linear model that doesn’t fit all AV approaches.

Tesla is at L2’ish and seems like they’re going a different route that wouldn’t ever be L4. They’re just going for L5. L3 may even be “skipped”. Again, since these levels aren’t necessarily progressive/linear, it’s apples and oranges. Like previous commenter said, Waymo has never produced an L2 product but that’s because it doesn’t fit their AV approach, not because they haven’t “caught up” to Tesla. Likewise, Tesla probably won’t ever produce an L4 product, because it doesn’t make any sense for Tesla’s approach. Both companies may produce an L5 product (not addressing timeline here) because that does fit their business models.

Last edited:
Reactions: NCC81701
This is what Tesla fans do best. Contradict themselves. If you post a video of FSD Beta or AP doing well they go crazy, upvote it, say look how amazing it is, it’s basically self driving, it’s so awesome, it’s better than my at driving.

Then you post a video of it almost killing you and instantly they downvote you, call u stupid, say don’t u know it’s just a beta, tell you it’s your fault, say you need to be responsible because it’s not self driving, etc etc.

This constant contradiction as you say flows into every.

They claim Tesla is 5-10 years ahead of every one in autonomous driving (L4+) and then when u ask them where can I engage FSD and ride in the back seat like other autonomous driving companies that they are so better than, they tell u it’s apples/orange, say that you can’t buy those other cars so it doesn’t count.

Truly amazing logic there.
You’re not listening and therefore not understanding. No contradictions here because calling people “Tesla fans” is just an irrational label to dismiss someone that doesn’t agree with you and/or to ignore logical counterpoints.

Cases in point: Tesla probably never attempted an L4 product, but is trying for L5. These SAE levels just don’t fit the linear progression of many AV companies. Waymo never produced and sold an L2 service/product, but that makes sense for their AV approach.

Reactions: Yelobird
You’re not listening and therefore not understanding. No contradictions here because calling people “Tesla fans” is just an irrational label to dismiss someone that doesn’t agree with you and/or to ignore logical counterpoints.

Cases in point: Tesla probably never attempted an L4 product, but is trying for L5. These SAE levels just don’t fit the linear progression of many AV companies. Waymo never produced and sold an L2 service/product, but that makes sense for their AV approach.
you are changing the topic. Conflating it into other things that it’s not. This has nothing to do with SAE levels.

It’s quite simple. When will Tesla have a car that can drive people around in city streets without a driver?

you are changing the topic. Conflating it into other things that it’s not. This has nothing to do with SAE levels.

It’s quite simple. When will Tesla have a car that can drive people around in city streets without a driver?
It’s not changing the subject. It’s pointing out the flawed logic/assumption of the question. I’m not sure how to make this more clear than others and I have repeated ad nauseam: Tesla seems to be going for all cities, not geo-bound/select cities.

Perhaps you’d understand if you think about the question: “It’s quite simple. When will Waymo or Cruise have a car that can drive people around in any city’s streets without a driver?”

Today one can hail a robotaxi from Cruise or Waymo
I am not that lucky "one"! ;) And even if I fly to San Francisco tomorrow, I doubt I will be able to hail a Robotaxi upon arrival. As I understand (as stated in the article you linked to) only "small number" of riders have access to the service.

both companies have been able to ship L4.
Ship to who??? It appears to me they are still in testing phase, not ready to "ship" to any third-party operators and certainly not to individual owners.

Tesla has been selling vision for a full self-driving car for at least five years now, but have been unable to deliver anything but L2.
I have purchased the FSD with full understanding that it is Level 2 and will remain at Level 2 for awhile. Level 4 was never explicitly promised to me. FSD is defined at Tesla's website as an explicit set of Autopilot features, most of which I already have, some are still in Beta and are improving. The SAE Autonomy Level classification is not so much about the capabilities of the car, but more about driver responsibility. Today my car can take me from home all the way to work with zero disengagements, but technically it is still Level 2, because I am still responsible for everything as a driver.

While Robotaxi is the eventual goal for Tesla, starting Robotaxi service Beta-testing in limited areas is not Tesla's initial priority. Tesla is working on a much bigger goal: mass-producing fully self-driving cars and developing universal (not geofenced) autonomy, essentially shooting for Level-5 autonomy in a mass-produced car. In that regard, I think they are way ahead of Cruise, Waymo or anyone else, even though technically they are still at SAE Level 2.

Now, while I disagree with some of your premises, I'll try to answer the question of your poll, the way I understand it. I think what you are really asking is this:

When will Tesla begin the first limited public testing of its Robotaxi service?

I think it will happen next year. In 2023. There is some slight chance it could happen before the end of this year, and there is also a possibility it could slip to 2024. But 2023 looks most likely to me, based on my personal experience with FSD Beta and its progress.

Last edited:
It’s not changing the subject. It’s pointing out the flawed logic/assumption of the question. I’m not sure how to make this more clear than others and I have repeated ad nauseam: Tesla seems to be going for all cities, not geo-bound/select cities.

Perhaps you’d understand if you think about the question: “It’s quite simple. When will Waymo or Cruise have a car that can drive people around in any city’s streets without a driver?”
So which is it? You people want to have your cake and eat it too. Pick one!

• Informative
Reactions: t3sl4drvr
The Uber/Lyft people take around the city are just airport transfer trains then. Gosh the immaculate logic you Tesla fans display never cease to amuse me.
I have no idea what you are talking about? Uber or Uber selft driving? Very confusing, Tesla haters often fail to give any serious consideration to the argument that is against their narrative.

With robotaxi businesss model (where one cannot just go and buy a car), only sure way to say if the car works in a particular location is to have the robotaxi company choose to operate there. To answer you question, no robotaxi operator will ever choose to operate in every location ("any city").

(Side note: Tesla FSD will never operate in every location either. While today's reasons include limited technology, surely legal reasons will remain for the foreseeable future that would block one from doing a around the globe self-driving trip. Interpreting SAE definitions strictly, this would mean that Tesla would "never" exceed L4)

What we do not know is, how well Waymo and Cruise today would operate in a particular city if they would choose to operate there. Assumption that their system could not drive at all in a location without pre-made maps is naive. To my understanding, their system takes in input from multiple sources - including cameras, maps, lidar, ... and based on available input make driving decisions. Lets say that two of the inputs - map and lidar - would be blocked in a particular situation: can the system still operate better than Tesla? Unfortunately we dot have answers to that question due to not being able to test it out.

Facts are that Tesla has chosen to have fewer inputs (no lidar, no HD maps), has developed the system for a shorter amount of time (vs Waymo who started in 2009), and has limited themselves to a fixed computing power (FSD/HW3 being in so many cars that it would be too expensive to replace).

With these constraints, they still might end up developing amazing L4 someday. But odds of beating the competition in making L4 widely available are not getting better due to competition lacking the same handicap.

Last edited:
With robotaxi businesss model (where one cannot just go and buy a car), only sure way to say if the car works in a particular location is to have the robotaxi company choose to operate there. To answer you question, no robotaxi operator will ever choose to operate in every location ("any city").
Okay, this right here is exactly our point: it’s apples and oranges. My flipping the same question about Tesla around doesn’t make sense for Waymo/Cruise model to their AV approach. But it is Tesla’s (high bar, lofty goal, who knows when yadda yadda disclaimer). Tesla’s goal IS to operate robotaxi in every city (and suburb and rural and highways in between). Unlike Waymo/Cruise, Tesla’s approach to AV has never picked a city to operate in, because it doesn’t make sense to their goal. From what I understand, the messaging is in short, “if we can solve for one city, then we can solve for all. We will only be unnecessarily prolonging our goal if we spend time on a tangent like the local maxima of specific cities/towns.”

One disclaimer before someone responds with “but semantics/technicalities!”: Tesla’s goal seems to be all cities in the world, of course, but most technical hurdles will be sufficiently solved for if all cities in the USA are solved for. So an “intermediate” step would be L5 in the USA first (regulatory hurdles, varying edge cases covered, etc.) Most would probably consider an autonomous vehicle that’s only autonomous in the USA to be L5, and not L4 just because “that feature is only geo bound to the US!”

Today one can hail a robotaxi from Cruise or Waymo - with no-one sitting on the driver's seat. Areas they operate are still very limited and scale is small. But the key is that they both actually operate. With this both companies have been able to ship L4.

Tesla has been selling vision for a full self-driving car for at least five years now, but have been unable to deliver anything but L2. When will you expect to see Tesla delivering L4 that at least would match what Cruise and Waymo are already doing today (driving around in San Francisco with no-one in the car and with a passenger but no driver)?
The biggest mistake Musk did was to drop Mobileye (out of Israel) and attempt to do it with his own engineers. My old 2014 Model S with Mobileye software still IMHO provides a better autopilot experience than my X, Y or 3 did. And it didn't cost an extra penny.

All I know is for things like robotaxi or similar concepts, other companies might be ahead and that's great but it's not what i'm looking for. When I think about how great FSD could be when it's done, I think about being able to go anywhere on public roads and switch it on. I want to be able to do it in the city, country side, highways, and I want it to be available everywhere.

The infrastructure that is required for these other companies is not realistic to see this everywhere for a very very long time. I haven't looked into it but I'd guess that they are a very long time away from ever profiting from this technology in it's current form. I'd be surprised if these self driving rides are actually making money with the support network they have in place.

Tesla went in the opposite direction and even took out radar. They want to improve their system to a point that if a person can do a drive with vision, so can a Tesla. I like this approach because it doesn't restrict where it can be used.

If Tesla had gone the route of other companies and built a network in a few cities that completely supported the automated driving, then you could make these comparisons, but then Tesla would be very far behind where they currently are with their goals.

“I would be shocked if we do not achieve Full Self-Driving safer than human this year. I would be shocked.”
Screen Shot 2022-02-06 at 3.06.31 PM.png

• Funny
Reactions: Matias
“I would be shocked if we do not achieve Full Self-Driving safer than human this year. I would be shocked.”
Certainly possible and this statement doesn't say anything about robotaxi although many will jump to that conclusion. They are different. Since this includes highway driving that makes achieving "FSD safer than a human" somewhat reasonable even including city/residential streets in the statistics. Elon is being very conservative here. Afterall they are likely already tracking statistics against this conservative goal and already have a good idea where they stand.