Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When the ACTUAL cybertruck pricing is released…,

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Except I'm not looking at the F250 or 350. These are larger trucks than the Cybertruck, and they also have a far greater tow and payload capability. Therefore I don't think these are a valid comparison.
I'm looking at the Colorado/Canyon, Chevy Silverado, and the Jeep Gladiator. The highest MSRP in a well equipped diesel configuration for these listed is $60,000.

the Colorado / Canyon are mid-size trucks with a tow rating no more than 7k lbs and *much* smaller than the Cybertruck/F150 and even smaller than the Rivian R1T

A diesel Silverado 1500 in the LTZ trim can be found for ~$60k ... however, as i stated... fuel and maintenance is $$$. an oil change alone runs $140 for a diesel full size truck ... so close to $300 annually in oil changes alone - never mind the obscenely high fuel bill. after just a few years the EV truck will be ahead.

unless you tow regularly in excess of 10k lbs... a diesel truck isn't economical at all.

the Colorado / Canyon are mid-size trucks with a tow rating no more than 7k lbs and *much* smaller than the Cybertruck/F150 and even smaller than the Rivian R1T

A diesel Silverado 1500 in the LTZ trim can be found for ~$60k ... however, as i stated... fuel and maintenance is $$$. an oil change alone runs $140 for a diesel full size truck ... so close to $300 annually in oil changes alone - never mind the obscenely high fuel bill. after just a few years the EV truck will be ahead.

unless you tow regularly in excess of 10k lbs... a diesel truck isn't economical at all.
Yes, I'm aware that's the conventional wisdom, and I'm also aware that oil changes on a diesel are more expensive. The reason for going with a diesel in a smaller truck, which would also be a daily driver, would be the much improved towing experience, highway mpg, value retention, and long-term durability. I put on 25-30k miles annually, with 90+% of that highway. I'm concerned about a gas engine and transmission holding up under those conditions. However in the gas space, I do have an F150 Hybrid on the "list".
As far as towing, it will be somewhere between 5-10k lbs, depending on which RV trailer I ultimately go with, and there is a utility trailer as well. That decision will also drive the vehicle choice. I don't plan on being in the market until 2024, so there's time. By then the Cybertruck will be out, and we'll have actual pricing and known range under highway and towing conditions. Thanks for the input.

…but lets be real its overvalued…
I think statements like this only make sense when viewed in retrospect. If the stock plummets, you may be able to say your statement was justified. On the other hand, if it soars, one could make the case it is currently undervalued.

As a believer in the “Efficient Market Hypothesis“, my default position is that stocks are always properly valued. It seems obvious when you think about it, as long as buyers and sellers have equal access to information - which they typically do, barring inside information.

It will be more expensive, here are my favorite excuses for the delay:
1. Ukraine
2. China
3. Fuel prices
4. Supply chain issues
5. COVID
6. OMNICRON
7. Production delays
8. Factory delays
9. Regulator delays
10. Wiper delays
11. Battery delays
12. Inflation
13. Glitch in the Matrix
14. SpaceX
15. Russia, Russia, Russia
16. COVID MORONIC (OMNICRONs Russian Brother)
17. Iran
19. North Korea
20. Syria
21. Boogie man of your nightmares.
22. Corruption
23. Politics
24. California labor law
25. Austin TX move
26. Berlin Germany move
27. NATO
28. Solar flares
29. Climate change
30. Lawsuits
31. NPC's in leadership roles
32. Leadership challenges
33. Mirrors
34. Too long
35. Won't fit in garage
36. Too big
37. Focus on Mars
38. Focus on SpaceX
39. Focus on Starlink

There are some political ones that will get me censored, but you get the idea.
Lol, you forgot “windows still break”

Reactions: Xenoilphobe
What's the point of the price revealed during introduction?
Any company would have to estimate pricing and demand to determine the model viability prior to deciding to move forward with it. These are very large capital investments. As far as publishing that data, or some version of it, it's to generate excitement and reservations, which provides Tesla with a 0% loan in the interim.

What's the primary reason for Tesla wanting to only offer AWD? The $39K CT was pitched during the reveal, but Tesla seems to believe AWD is a must (no RWD MY available in US, correct?). Is it purely driven by margins?
They gonna be production constrained for years, so why produce a lower price model when they can make more money selling high end models only?

• Helpful
Reactions: cleverscreenam
What's the primary reason for Tesla wanting to only offer AWD? The $39K CT was pitched during the reveal, but Tesla seems to believe AWD is a must (no RWD MY available in US, correct?). Is it purely driven by margins?

My 220 4 cylinder hp diesel truck is a handful in the rain, until I engage AWD.

Just saying that maybe this amount of power in a truck that is only RWD isn't such a good idea.

For me, one of the beauties of EV's is the absolute ease and very low penalty for going to AWD.

Reactions: texas_star_TM3

$39k in 2019 is now $45k due to inflation. By the time the the RWD Cybertruck is available for purchase in 2025, that'll be like $55k.

• Funny
Reactions: texas_star_TM3
My 220 4 cylinder hp diesel truck is a handful in the rain, until I engage AWD.

Just saying that maybe this amount of power in a truck that is only RWD isn't such a good idea.

For me, one of the beauties of EV's is the absolute ease and very low penalty for going to AWD.
especially when Rivian R1T and F150 Lightning are AWD by default. Even the absolute base model of the Lightning comes standard as AWD. I don't think Tesla will launch the CT as RWD anytime soon...

Will you be pissed if its 20-25% more expensive?

Id bet good money that the quad motor truck will be at least $18k more than the $69k 3 more and that the 3 motor I ordered never gets made
I wouldnt be surprised if they scrapped the single and tri-motor versions and launched only dual and quad motor configs.

I am not expecting the lowest trim to be less than $50k at this point. Not really expecting higher than $100k either.