Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When the ACTUAL cybertruck pricing is released…,

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are actually other portions of the new bill (assumes it gets passed in it's current form) that could prevent Tesla from utilizing the credit at all.

Battery source being one of them and the money being 'on the hood) at the 'dealership' being the other.

Ultimately I'm supportive of reducing GHGs and getting more EVs in circulation, but like most government programs it's complicated and written by lobbyists.

Just have to wait and see.

Tesla won’t need double the capacity with the 4680 cel, they will likely only need a 100kW pack to achieve the 300 mile range, so that’s like 20% larger than a Y pack. Also you have to consider margin will be = or greater than the Y LR due to manufacturing process, Mega casting and no paint... Just for reference the average price F-150 is $35k… if Tesla wants to beat all the ICE companies they must be competitive
The average price of a f150 is no where near ~$35k. I just went to ford’s web site. The rock bottom price for a 2022 ICE f150 basic XL is ~$33k for 4x4 it is $38k. A basically equipped XLT (just added 4x4, tow package) gets it to >$48k. Jump to a Lariat and add the tech stuff (auto pilot, air play,…) it jumps to ~$70k. Just for fun a built out A raptor at ~$90k. A limited is >$80k

Average US purchase price in 2019 (pre crazy price increases) was ~$49k. I

The average price of a f150 is no where near ~$35k. I just went to ford’s web site. The rock bottom price for a 2022 ICE f150 basic XL is ~$33k for 4x4 it is $38k. A basically equipped XLT (just added 4x4, tow package) gets it to >$48k. Jump to a Lariat and add the tech stuff (auto pilot, air play,…) it jumps to ~$70k. Just for fun a built out A raptor at ~$90k. A limited is >$80k

Average US purchase price in 2019 (pre crazy price increases) was ~$49k. I
Ok... you got me... it not $35k but if the average price on an F-150 the best-selling truck is $49k that means a whole lot of trucks are sold at $49k or less. So my point still stands the CT needs to be closer to $49k if they want to capture the market... Why do you think the 2 motor was priced at $49k..

None of this matters now that the EV credits list the Max and this is what Tesla will target.

Ok... you got me... it not $35k but if the average price on an F-150 the best-selling truck is $49k that means a whole lot of trucks are sold at $49k or less. So my point still stands the CT needs to be closer to $49k if they want to capture the market... Why do you think the 2 motor was priced at $49k..

None of this matters now that the EV credits list the Max and this is what Tesla will

I agree but high volume of work trucks likely drag the mean down (not a “normal distribution). I would venture to say that the median price paid is well over $50k and probably over $65k. I went on Ram, GM, Toyota, and ford. It is hard to build a 1/2 ton with even minimal tech for under $60k, add many packages and any accessories and you are $60-70k easy.

Reactions: Eric9610
I will agree that the Rivian interior looks nice but the Ford Lightning is literally just an old Ford truck interior with a touch screen slapped in it. Tons of buttons and very outdated and ugly compared to Rivian and Tesla.
The F150 has a super functional interior. Something the truck masses love. People don’t want the vents controlled on the screen, a sparse j terror, etc. I’ll say the F150 has a really refined interior over the years based on feedback.

The F150 has a super functional interior. Something the truck masses love. People don’t want the vents controlled on the screen, a sparse j terror, etc. I’ll say the F150 has a really refined interior over the years based on feedback.
and the F150 has door handles / a steering wheel and not "the doors will open if the sensors think you want to enter" and "a yoke is all you need". I have a very very hard time seeing mass truck market appeal without door handles and a freakin' yoke

I got to sit in a friend’s new F-150 Lightning. Nice truck.

But after getting acclimated to the simplicity of the Model 3’s user interface, I was a bit taken aback at the clutter and ”busy-ness“ of the Lightning’s panel and controls. Probably par for the course for any truck in this class, but it felt like a throwback to me.

52263012972_67eb21fc45_c.jpg

(Stock photo found online)

Reactions: suprax and Eric9610
Don't forget you can't use a touch screen with regular gloves. Also the yoke is simply non-functional for anyone who tows.

Anyways, like anyone didn't know this already: "Cybertruck pricing, it was unveiled in 2019, and the reservation was $99. A lot has changed since then, so the specs and the pricing will be different. I hate to give sort of a little bit of bad news, but I think there's no way to sort of have anticipated quite the inflation that we've seen and the various issues."

That's not a universal truth. Backing with the yoke is fine. Maybe you feel the learning curve would be too much or annoying for you? That's fine, but there are no issues backing with the yoke for me and others that have used it on a daily basis.
a steering wheel is still more functional and offers more control surface in a truck (or any car)... the shifting gears only via touch screen/ stalkless / no door handles / signaling via touch on the yoke are all *really* bad ideas if the driver wears gloves.

a steering wheel is still more functional and offers more control surface in a truck (or any car)... the shifting gears only via touch screen/ stalkless / no door handles / signaling via touch on the yoke are all *really* bad ideas if the driver wears gloves.
People can take gloves off. Is this really a "thing" to talk about when it's such a low percentage of drivers? "What if a driver wears gloves" is near the bottom of the list of things that should shape the roadmap of a vehicle. That's such a ridiculous talking point.

Also, I don't buy that any of these current EV trucks are really targeting "real work trucks", most are targeting 80% of the truck market that tows a boat down to the ramp and picks up from from Lowes/Home depot once a week. A great majority of the 1/2 ton/light-duty truck market use their truck as a daily driver and to throw *sugar* in the bed. 75% of light duty truck owners tow 1 or less times per year. We are seeing real world reports that Rivian and F150s are getting in under 150 miles with any significant payload. The CT may beat those, but probably be pretty close despite bloated EPA advertisements.

People can take gloves off. Is this really a "thing" to talk about when it's such a low percentage of drivers? "What if a driver wears gloves" is near the bottom of the list of things that should shape the roadmap of a vehicle. That's such a ridiculous talking point.

Also, I don't buy that any of these current EV trucks are really targeting "real work trucks", most are targeting 80% of the truck market that tows a boat down to the ramp and picks up from from Lowes/Home depot once a week. A great majority of the 1/2 ton/light-duty truck market use their truck as a daily driver and to throw *sugar* in the bed. 75% of light duty truck owners tow 1 or less times per year. We are seeing real world reports that Rivian and F150s are getting in under 150 miles with any significant payload. The CT may beat those, but probably be pretty close despite bloated EPA advertisements.
if that is all the case... why in the world would you need "bulletproof" stainless steel panels and windows then? seems like total overkill for a vehicle which is leisure and light use only. regarding gloves: Ford actually oversizes the door handles on all of their trucks so they are easier to open with work gloves on and the knobs/ bottoms are designed for that use case as well. if you live anywhere really cold ... taking the gloves off to use a touch screen isn't particularly fun.

if that is all the case... why in the world would you need "bulletproof" stainless steel panels and windows then? seems like total overkill for a vehicle which is leisure and light use only. regarding gloves: Ford actually oversizes the door handles on all of their trucks so they are easier to open with work gloves on and the knobs/ bottoms are designed for that use case as well. if you live anywhere really cold ... taking the gloves off to use a touch screen isn't particularly fun.
They aren't bulletproof. Not even a little bit. Not even getting into how misleading the term "bulletproof" actually is, the Tesla windows weren't/aren't even bullet resistant rated. It was just Elon/Tesla talking that they are using extremely thick windows. The cold-rolled steel COULD be capable of stopping a single 9mm bullet from a handgun, which COULD be BR level 1 rating, but I doubt they would ever get that certified.

As Elon said on the Friedman podcast, it's just to make the CT "a ridiculous vehicle". It was more to try to mitigate rock chips, scratches, etc.

Again, this is a luxury truck. Much like Dodge and their massive screen, Ford's new screen, and all Teslas...they aren't made to be used with gloves and this class of truck isn't steered for those applications.

Edit: I found the CT presentation hilarious. Even if they used BR level 4, it will still crack/splinter from throwing a rock at it. It's many many pieces of glass stacked together and the intention is to slow bullets/shrapnel to a stop as it breaks through each layer. A single rock will still spider/crack actual BR level 4 glass. If they had done actual research into that, they would know it's a terrible way to prove or display something like that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Suns_PSD
That's not a universal truth. Backing with the yoke is fine. Maybe you feel the learning curve would be too much or annoying for you? That's fine, but there are no issues backing with the yoke for me and others that have used it on a daily basis.
That's not what I said.

Edit: oops clicked enter too soon. :) I was calling out towing, you cannot safely backup towing. It is flat out less functional. Why on earth should anyone have a learning curve to compensate for a bad design that offers quite literally zero benefit.

That's not what I said.

Edit: oops clicked enter too soon. :) I was calling out towing, you cannot safely backup towing. It is flat out less functional. Why on earth should anyone have a learning curve to compensate for a bad design that offers quite literally zero benefit.
You can safely backup while towing. There's a learning curve to the yoke, some love it afterwards, some hate it. There are third party options. I don't disagree they should make a round steering wheel as an option, but we know Tesla won't. I'd choose the Yoke and I love using it everyday, but I can 100% understand why people wouldn't.

Reactions: Cal1
You can safely backup while towing. There's a learning curve to the yoke, some love it afterwards, some hate it. There are third party options. I don't disagree they should make a round steering wheel as an option, but we know Tesla won't. I'd choose the Yoke and I love using it everyday, but I can 100% understand why people wouldn't.
We will have to agree to disagree. I'll put it this way, the yoke has less physical area to hold, when you cannot see the yoke it is not safe to use. Period.