Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When the ACTUAL cybertruck pricing is released…,

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It sounds like you've never used it to me.
First off, I have. It's rubbish.

Second, you can sit in literally any car in the world and restrict your hand placement to where the yoke allows and emulate it for testing purposes. Which just gets back to the statements of fact that the yoke offers literally zero benefit, and reduces functionality.

First off, I have. It's rubbish.

Second, you can sit in literally any car in the world and restrict your hand placement to where the yoke allows and emulate it for testing purposes. Which just gets back to the statements of fact that the yoke offers literally zero benefit, and reduces functionality.
But that doesn't make it unsafe. I back in to tight spaces daily in my MS, there's no issues. My only issue is you saying it's unsafe. I didn't state it was better for backing or that you are wrong for not liking it...calling it unsafe is incorrect.

Reactions: Cal1
But that doesn't make it unsafe. I back in to tight spaces daily in my MS, there's no issues. My only issue is you saying it's unsafe. I didn't state it was better for backing or that you are wrong for not liking it...calling it unsafe is incorrect.
in an emergency situation: more available control surface > less available control surface. Imagine hitting ice and spinning and then trying to grab a yoke vs. a steering wheel. the yoke literally solves a problem which doesnt exist or is the answer to a question nobody asked. it's not steer-by-wire ... simply a chopped down steering wheel.

in an emergency situation: more available control surface > less available control surface. Imagine hitting ice and spinning and then trying to grab a yoke vs. a steering wheel. the yoke literally solves a problem which doesnt exist or is the answer to a question nobody asked. it's not steer-by-wire ... simply a chopped down steering wheel.
1. That's not the discussion. He said when backing a trailer it was more dangerous. 2. Once you get used to the yoke, for me anyway, it's preferred. I find it much more comfortable and can take high speed/aggressive turns fine. I've never had a situation in all my years driving where I lost the steering wheel.

It is more comfortable, better with FSD, provides better visualizations...it's not for everyone, but it's not a safety risk. Those arguments are ridiculous....maybe you feel unsafe with it, but I have 20,000 miles with it and I prefer it.

1. That's not the discussion. He said when backing a trailer it was more dangerous. 2. Once you get used to the yoke, for me anyway, it's preferred. I find it much more comfortable and can take high speed/aggressive turns fine. I've never had a situation in all my years driving where I lost the steering wheel.

It is more comfortable, better with FSD, provides better visualizations...it's not for everyone, but it's not a safety risk. Those arguments are ridiculous....maybe you feel unsafe with it, but I have 20,000 miles with it and I prefer it.
how is it more comfortable? nobody prevents you from using a normal steering wheel only in the 9-3 o'clock position ... a normal steering wheel gives you more locations to rest your hands versus the forced Formula 1 yoke style of 9-3 o'clock and that's it.

how is it more comfortable? nobody prevents you from using a normal steering wheel only in the 9-3 o'clock position ... a normal steering wheel gives you more locations to rest your hands versus the forced Formula 1 yoke style of 9-3 o'clock and that's it.
Because of how the sides are angled. The "handles" allow your hands to sit in a more natural position while treating your elbows on the door arm rest and center console, plus the flat bottom makes fsd so much easier. I just rest 2 fingers in it and it satisfy the wheel nag perfect.

I was skeptical at first, then liked it, now I dislike that my MY doesn't have it.

Reactions: Cal1 and skitown
It will be more expensive, here are my favorite excuses for the delay:
1. Ukraine
2. China
3. Fuel prices
4. Supply chain issues
5. COVID
6. OMNICRON
7. Production delays
8. Factory delays
9. Regulator delays
10. Wiper delays
11. Battery delays
12. Inflation
13. Glitch in the Matrix
14. SpaceX
15. Russia, Russia, Russia
16. COVID MORONIC (OMNICRONs Russian Brother)
17. Iran
19. North Korea
20. Syria
21. Boogie man of your nightmares.
22. Corruption
23. Politics
24. California labor law
25. Austin TX move
26. Berlin Germany move
27. NATO
28. Solar flares
29. Climate change
30. Lawsuits
31. NPC's in leadership roles
32. Leadership challenges
33. Mirrors
34. Too long
35. Won't fit in garage
36. Too big
37. Focus on Mars
38. Focus on SpaceX
39. Focus on Starlink

There are some political ones that will get me censored, but you get the idea.
I don't see Twitter on the list..
At the rate we are going, please add Monkey pox and Langya virus (apparently, it's new and spreading around China).

Reactions: Xenoilphobe
You can safely backup while towing. There's a learning curve to the yoke, some love it afterwards, some hate it. There are third party options. I don't disagree they should make a round steering wheel as an option, but we know Tesla won't. I'd choose the Yoke and I love using it everyday, but I can 100% understand why people wouldn't.
Honda tried it in the 80’s. It didn’t work then and won’t work until cars are completely self driving. Round steering wheels have stood the test of time because they work.

Attachments

• 8CD26513-5AD6-4ED7-95A9-88C3C2F57A42.jpeg
    8CD26513-5AD6-4ED7-95A9-88C3C2F57A42.jpeg
    615.1 KB · Views: 79
Anyone who drops boats in the lake at 4 AM will understand why a Yoke is impractical and unsafe. If you do not have skin in the game and do not know how to pull into a ramp and back into the lake to drop your boat or pull your boat in less than 2 minutes then not sure a person is qualified to understand how a truck is used in these situations.

If all you are talking about is backing into a spot at the grocery store please try and understand the differences between that and threading a 10 foot wide boat between a post on one side and a dock on the other with 6 inches on either side to spare. These are every weekend situations and are how we use our trucks. If we are going to call this a truck then it should be able to safely do what trucks do.

Please be respectful of other peoples actual needs that may not match your assumptions.

Anyone who drops boats in the lake at 4 AM will understand why a Yoke is impractical and unsafe. If you do not have skin in the game and do not know how to pull into a ramp and back into the lake to drop your boat or pull your boat in less than 2 minutes then not sure a person is qualified to understand how a truck is used in these situations.

If all you are talking about is backing into a spot at the grocery store please try and understand the differences between that and threading a 10 foot wide boat between a post on one side and a dock on the other with 6 inches on either side to spare. These are every weekend situations and are how we use our trucks. If we are going to call this a truck then it should be able to safely do what trucks do.

Please be respectful of other peoples actual needs that may not match your assumptions.
I've backed a 27' boat for years, night and day and I disagree with your view.

Again, I'm not saying you are wrong, because that's your view from backing trailers, but it doesn't apply to my experience.

Aren't you doing the same? People who have a truck and back trailers and who have used the Yoke don't have valid opinions on the matter?

Also, as of now, there's no other option outside of third-party.

edit: The only thing I've fought back on is encompassing statements like "it's unsafe". It may be unsafe to you or others who cannot make adjustments, but others that can, it's not. Before the yoke was released the majority said driving is unsafe. It didn't make it true and there are still some owners who believe this to be true who have used it, but many adjusted and enjoy it.

edit 2: I absolutely think there should be an option for those who don't want a Yoke and those who do. I would get one, but 100% respect those who wouldn't. It's dumb of Tesla to not offer this.

Last edited:
I am a current MX Plaid driver and CT reservation holder. I don't currently have a truck but I use a diesel Jeep Grand Cherokee to haul a 24' wake boat plus sundry other things. I personally hate the yoke so much that I swapped it out. I tried driving with it for 9 days and while I could have adapted to it, why go through that? I have enough going on in my life - adding another thing to think about while getting zero benefit seemed like a stupid idea.
pxl_20220517_224046885-jpg.805753

I like my MX much better now. There is a chance that Tesla will offer the option of wheel or yoke in the CT but I would not count on it. Having been a Tesla customer for 12 years now, Elon will never admit that a mistake was made and he will always be the smartest person in the room. Therefore, if he has an idea, it is automatically the best one. The CT has a yoke and it will go into production with one. If you are against the yoke, just budget an extra $1,000 for a wheel and move on with your life.

I am a current MX Plaid driver and CT reservation holder. I don't currently have a truck but I use a diesel Jeep Grand Cherokee to haul a 24' wake boat plus sundry other things. I personally hate the yoke so much that I swapped it out. I tried driving with it for 9 days and while I could have adapted to it, why go through that? I have enough going on in my life - adding another thing to think about while getting zero benefit seemed like a stupid idea.
pxl_20220517_224046885-jpg.805753

I like my MX much better now. There is a chance that Tesla will offer the option of wheel or yoke in the CT but I would not count on it. Having been a Tesla customer for 12 years now, Elon will never admit that a mistake was made and he will always be the smartest person in the room. Therefore, if he has an idea, it is automatically the best one. The CT has a yoke and it will go into production with one. If you are against the yoke, just budget an extra $1,000 for a wheel and move on with your life.
Nice to know. Did Tesla Service do the install?

... I personally hate the yoke so much that I swapped it out. ...Having been a Tesla customer for 12 years now, Elon will never admit that a mistake was made and he will always be the smartest person in the room. Therefore, if he has an idea, it is automatically the best one. The CT has a yoke and it will go into production with one. If you are against the yoke, just budget an extra $1,000 for a wheel and move on with your life.
Oh yes you only have to look at the disaster that is FSD to see that Elon will never admit a mistake. Did you swap out for the wheel yourself or have someone else do it? I have already planned that if I buy the cybertruck I will have to swap out the idiotic yoke.

Reactions: Suns_PSD
Nice to know. Did Tesla Service do the install?
Oh yes you only have to look at the disaster that is FSD to see that Elon will never admit a mistake. Did you swap out for the wheel yourself or have someone else do it? I have already planned that if I buy the cybertruck I will have to swap out the idiotic yoke.
This is the Hannshow wheel for S/X:

Tesla will not touch non-OEM parts any more (they would long ago) but it's easy to do. You use a flat-blade screwdriver (or a 4mm allen wrench) to push through 2 holes on the sides of the yoke. That releases the airbag. Pull the airbag out and unplug it. Then there is a single bolt holding the yoke onto the steering column. Undo that, unplug the electronics, and remove the yoke. You will need to move the electronics panel from your yoke onto the wheel. That is tedious but take your time. It is just pressed in there. So use a plastic flat-blade tool to gently pry a little bit at a time, working your way around the panel. Installing onto the wheel was straightforward - though it was also tedious keeping the heater wires routed correctly while pressing the panel into the wheel. The whole thing took me an hour.

There is a thread here that lists the currently known replacements for the S/X:

This is the Hannshow wheel for S/X:

Tesla will not touch non-OEM parts any more (they would long ago) but it's easy to do. You use a flat-blade screwdriver (or a 4mm allen wrench) to push through 2 holes on the sides of the yoke. That releases the airbag. Pull the airbag out and unplug it. Then there is a single bolt holding the yoke onto the steering column. Undo that, unplug the electronics, and remove the yoke. You will need to move the electronics panel from your yoke onto the wheel. That is tedious but take your time. It is just pressed in there. So use a plastic flat-blade tool to gently pry a little bit at a time, working your way around the panel. Installing onto the wheel was straightforward - though it was also tedious keeping the heater wires routed correctly while pressing the panel into the wheel. The whole thing took me an hour.

There is a thread here that lists the currently known replacements for the S/X:
Thanks good to know, seems straight forward. I do almost all work on my vehicles, In these forums it’s rare.