Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When the Boat Comes In...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As you say prob in customs in Holland somewhere..

Though looking at the site, I think someone is a little lost :D
lost.PNG

I think the boat must have come in because I was a late March delivery and got a call yesterday from Stefan booking me in to collect on Sunday 29th March. They must really want to make sure they deliver as many cars as possible before the end of the quarter.

Still quite a few things to do, confirm insurance, get rid of the old car, (no chance...), get economy 7 meter fitted, shuffle the remaining cars on the drive so that i can get to the charge point, order Public charge points RFID cards, (Source West plus Plugged in Midlands which I think allow you to use Ecotricity points), find the cash to pay for it....:), find the key fob holder I brought months ago, read up how to apply the film I've brought to the door kick plates.

This and EM's Thursday news conference, its all just toooooo much.

"...got a call yesterday from Stefan booking me in to collect on Sunday 29th March..." Ditto! - 1000 hrs. Just as well as I going straight down to the EVolution Show in Frome (starts 1300 hrs Sunday afternoon!). Nothing like diving in at the deep end.

Incidentally, I got a quote from Admiral for my MS60 today. I already have a multi-car policy with them for my wife & I (hers is a petrol Smart 4/2, mine an i-MiEV which I'll be keeping for the time-being) - an extra £290. I am over 50, no convictions in the last 5 years and no accidents in the last 3 years. MW

3 cars on the same weekend to forum members, thats fantastic. We have an admiral MCP also, you know your knocking on when putting on a powerful/luxury car only adds a little, i lease a focus ST 250 and it only added about £10 per month over a little DS3 i was using as a runaround. This car is really for her to commute to work in, so i'm only going to get use of it at the weekend, usually she always wants me to do the driving, i wonder if thats going to change much with the Tesla. Its funny you mention keyfob holder mitch as i can see one of my nephews thinking its a toycar & running it around on my carpet. What did you buy to look after it?

Grandunion, the car comes with two neoprene key fob holders (or at least did).

TBH They are a bit naff, and soon frayed and started looking really cheap. They will tide you over but...

In the end I bought some of these:
STORE - FobPockets - FobPockets - Silicone - Abstract Ocean

As well as their finger print resistant non reflective protector for the touchscreen. US to UK shipment was pretty quick, so all in all I can recommend.

I think the boat must have come in because I was a late March delivery and got a call yesterday from Stefan booking me in to collect on Sunday 29th March. They must really want to make sure they deliver as many cars as possible before the end of the quarter.

Still quite a few things to do, confirm insurance, get rid of the old car, (no chance...), get economy 7 meter fitted, shuffle the remaining cars on the drive so that i can get to the charge point, order Public charge points RFID cards, (Source West plus Plugged in Midlands which I think allow you to use Ecotricity points), find the cash to pay for it....:), find the key fob holder I brought months ago, read up how to apply the film I've brought to the door kick plates.

This and EM's Thursday news conference, its all just toooooo much.

I'd get a proper Ecotricity card, they are free. The problem with "Roaming" between networks is it isn't always successful, and Ecotricity have just announced they are terminating 24/7 support on the motorway rapids, (now only Monday to Friday 8:30-17:30), so you want to have the odds stacked in your favour as much as possible.

I'd also get a Polar/Chargemaster card, as these are the most national of the networks.

Then probably a Source London card.

It's actually counter intuitive I still don't have a PiM card living in Nottingham, that is until you think about it... Why would I charge anywhere within 100 miles? ;) Local charging is for those Leaf types ;)

Seriously though a Chargemaster card works on all our local council sites, and supermarkets (they got the contract to install them, and PiM/SourceX are effectively piggy backing onto their network in a lot of places). There are a few semi-public points at places like the Uni, where you can only go as an official visitor, but it's not even worth getting the cable out the boot TBH.

I'd check CM's map and see if anywhere you are likely to use isn't covered before buying a PiM card ;).

Don't rely on mobile apps, they are crap. Lots of the networks are following Ecotricity's lead and closing 24/7 support. If you use an app and it crashes you can't retrieve the cable! Without support to reboot the post, you are stuck leaving your cable!

I know this sounds negative, but tbh most of the time I've found out this stuff is just by me experimenting, I've never really need the charge! Such is the wonders of big batteries :D

Enjoy the car, and feel smug you don't have to put up with the joke of our EV charging infrastructure ;)

Grandunion, the car comes with two neoprene key fob holders (or at least did).

TBH They are a bit naff, and soon frayed and started looking really cheap. They will tide you over but...

In the end I bought some of these:
STORE - FobPockets - FobPockets - Silicone - Abstract Ocean

As well as their finger print resistant non reflective protector for the touchscreen. US to UK shipment was pretty quick, so all in all I can recommend.

I believe they are now supplying rather smarter leather keyring cases for the fobs.

In any case I keep my fob "au naturel" - if you've got it, flaunt it and all that :)

@smac , I'll take your advice and get the Ecotricity Card. I'll have a look at the Chargemaster map, the reason I thought of the PiM card is that we do a 220+ mile round trip to the Midlands from Wiltshire every other week and I think there's a PiM rapid point at Waitrose in Lichfield.

@Grandunion, I got a leather Key Fob cover from Abstract Motion mentioned above. Looks well made but still have to see how it performs. The postage was relatively cheap and remarkably quick. Know what you mean about kids, we have just returned from a holiday that included a few days away in an apartment. The key and fob cost $150 to replace and they disappeared only to be found in one of the many draws in the place having been "posted" there by our 2 year old grandson.

@marinwinlow. I was a bit knocked back by my insurance quote. I'm with Privilege and have a MC policy, for the remaining 9 months of the policy they wanted £210 if I kept the mileage at 24000, (existing car is an Jaguar XF S), and that included a £26 administration fee. I was expecting much more, so pleasantly surprised.

It has to be a non D.

If its a D my toys are out the pram :scared::biggrin:

RikB i would be very surprised if its 8 weeks. If you confirmed already you might get your VIN within 7 days and then another 7 days for production. You then get your car shipping in parts by train to the east coast.

It then goes on a boat to the european fulfilment plant, fully assembled and then shipped to the UK, i assume by boat? Not sure on that. Prepped and ready.

I'm pretty sure it takes at least 4-5 weeks to leave california and reach the european fulfilment plan.

I'm pretty sure they have to complete assembly in Europe and then ship it. Which probably takes a further 2 weeks.

If you get it in 8 weeks, either the steps have shrunk down or they are going to operate with zero delay and everything goes perfectly.

Wish i knew exactly why the D is delayed. What is unique to a RHD D ??

What makes sense to me is they shipped parts in for RHD which got caught up in the west coast port strike. There is up to 2 months delay due to the congestion and with the first quarter coming to an end they switched production efforts to LHD markets.

They even released PR to say their p85d's have a fast production run at the moment. They are basically trying to fulfil and secure as many builds by the quarter end. I think that is why there has been some uncertainty in the stocks. They need a good quarter on deliveries after Q4 shipping problems. They are probably going to report further shipping problems due to this port strike. Certainly going to send the stock falling if they announce that.

I think they have been scrambling for LHD market fulfilment. RHD was probably a reasonable allocation which is now not going to start until Mid April to Mid may. Build start June. Ship mid June, arrive in Europe mid July. Ship out to customer by August.

I'm clutching at straws here but I'm assuming after they are done with the end of Q1 by mid april i'm hoping the port situation will be cleared and they will announce a move forward in production.

@bp1000 It was a leading question obviously :D

According to one of the guys that lives near Tilburg, they get a vast batch in one go. Like 6,000+ cars! That must be a sight to see!

Whilst we have been told it's a technical issue, the technical issue could have been one on the production line, and they missed the boat (literally) so the delay is just waiting for the next slug of 6000 EU orders before the boat sets off again.

Quickest I've ever heard of order to delivery is 2 months... The guy must have just made the boat :D (if they operate a LIFO policy on the vehicles, his being last loaded, was first unloaded, assembled and delivered!)

My car is v. early for a RHD (33xxx) but people with numbers in the 39xxx+ got their cars before me, despite ordering later! It's all luck of the draw :D

- - - Updated - - -

And for scale...

The interior shots at Tilburg, show them putting the batteries and motors in, otherwise the cars are practically complete. I've seen suggestions Tilburg can process 250 cars per day!

All impressive stuff.

I do wonder how they load and unload cars without batteries and motors in though, must be a bit of a logistical challenge :S Or do they come with "mules", which are removed and replaced with the final batteries and motors, so that Tesla can say they are manufactured in the EU, and avoid certain import duties?

Would love to know!

Last edited:
I do wonder how they load and unload cars without batteries and motors in though, must be a bit of a logistical challenge :S Or do they come with "mules", which are removed and replaced with the final batteries and motors, so that Tesla can say they are manufactured in the EU, and avoid certain import duties?

Would love to know!
When I did my Tesla factory tour last May, we saw completed EU cars that underwent all the final tests. Then the cars went to a spur line where the battery (and possibly some other stuff) was removed. At that time, they said that they put two cars per shipping container for any destination not in the Continental USA. They had shipping queues for Tilburg, Drammen and Honolulu. Asian orders had not commenced shipping yet.