Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When the car is plugged in....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The manual states "precondition the car while it is plugged in to ensure the cabin is at a comfortable temperature before your drive". It also says "to prevent an excessive amount of energy consumption while idle, keep the vehicle plugged in when not in use". Does this mean that the vehicle and all accessories like HVAC are being powered by the house current (bypassing the battery), or do they continue to draw from the battery and the charger just replenishes whatever is used?

The manual states "precondition the car while it is plugged in to ensure the cabin is at a comfortable temperature before your drive". It also says "to prevent an excessive amount of energy consumption while idle, keep the vehicle plugged in when not in use". Does this mean that the vehicle and all accessories like HVAC are being powered by the house current (bypassing the battery), or do they continue to draw from the battery and the charger just replenishes whatever is used?
I can’t find the other thread. What’s the tldr;?

I can’t find the other thread. What’s the tldr;?

NOTE: Whenever Model Y is plugged in but not actively charging, it draws energy from the wall outlet instead of using energy stored in the Battery. For example, if you are sitting in Model Y and using the touchscreen while parked and plugged in, Model Y draws energy from the wall outlet instead of the Battery.

It depends on Sentry Mode and ambient temperature. If you’re outside in a driveway or in the street, and the battery needs to warm or cool to stay in the Goldilocks zone, it will use more energy. Otherwise I think I saw some things suggesting like 1 mile every 3-4 hours.

Reactions: alexcue
I’ve heard that the ‘phantom drain’ numbers are much lower if sentry mode isn’t active and as long as it’s not too hot or super cold. Sentry mode by itself uses a lot and can drain the battery in a matter of days, maybe not even a week. If that’s not active, and the temperature is above freezing and below 80F, I think the drain is around 1% per week of sitting stationary.