Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When to break out the credit card for FSD?

When to break out the credit card for FSD?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To me paying $3000 for the once-in-a-lifetime experience of participating in the greatest transportation revolution of our generation is well worth the money. Really looking forward to it.

I did that when I ordered my S in 2013 to help bring the 3 to market in the first place. To me, the revolution is from ICE to EV and is unrelated to FSD.

But good for you for putting your money there to help out Tesla. It's actually better buying FSD than TSLA for Tesla (but probably not for you) since the share price doesn't really matter to a company. The company only makes money on the initial sale of a share of stock; once it's in a third party's hands, any profit from further sale of the stock goes to the seller, not the company.

I did that when I ordered my S in 2013 to help bring the 3 to market in the first place. To me, the revolution is from ICE to EV and is unrelated to FSD.

But good for you for putting your money there to help out Tesla. It's actually better buying FSD than TSLA for Tesla (but probably not for you) since the share price doesn't really matter to a company. The company only makes money on the initial sale of a share of stock; once it's in a third party's hands, any profit from further sale of the stock goes to the seller, not the company.

I bought it because I wanted it. I think it’s going to be a really fun experience as they roll out the new features.:)

Reactions: whitex and Canuck
Yep confirmed. My Tesla now shows adding FSD is $5k for my AP 2.0 car. Lame. I'm still not buying it until there's value to actually be purchased.

Elon did send out FSD screenshots out what is assumed to be his personal Tesla? Autopilot that would follow Tesla navigation.

Signs were there for those paying attention. :/

The survey is missing a major answer, whenever "Full Self Driving" does what is says, drives all by itself without the requirement of human driver in the car. Elon said its happening sooner than people think, so if you believe his tweet now you should believe his tweet from 2016 where he promised AP2 car will Summon from across the country - I got my checkbook ready when that happens, and not only will I pay for FSD on our AP2 car then, I will also replace my AP1 car with a brand new Tesla, so Tesla will not just get $10K from me, but another $100K too. Conditional on our Tesla surviving until then of course.

I agree with you. Why pay for something when it’s not available yet unless confirming the thought it will b more later when it does come out. But you can’t get it unless you already have AP which I did get - when they deliver to me hopefully later this week :)
I wii gladly pay for it when it does come though

The increased price for adding FSD to an existing car creates the opportunity for a 'promotion' to let people do it at the old post-purchase price without upsetting any of those who paid at for it along with their initial purchase.

Good move I'd say...

I agree with you. Why pay for something when it’s not available yet unless confirming the thought it will b more later when it does come out. But you can’t get it unless you already have AP which I did get - when they deliver to me hopefully later this week :)
I wii gladly pay for it when it does come though
Of course you can get it without AP, it's a $11K option post delivery. Every car has the required hardware (and it's used for safety features like eab, or blind spot detection whenever it works, and even auto headlights and auto wipers).

This is hype to bump the share price. Your lease will end and this car will be at the discount lot before FSD is actually functional.

It gets worse. At least 3 OEMs will be selling actual autonomous vehicles before Tesla FSD. Your going to have to watch those cars drive by you on the highway while your little hands are glued to the wheel preventing nags.

If they didn't jump on it before, what makes you think raising the price will convince them?

Pay even more later.

While FSD got you literally nothing even now - almost nothing is exponentially more than absolutely nothing.

There is a large group of people here who can’t stand FOMO. Don’t you remember all the rage, protesting and open letters for those who missed the AP2 cutoff? It took almost a year and a quarter to achieve parity.

Even those who missed out on the much buggier MCU2 which also does nothing inspired a 20 page thread and campaign to Elon to swap it out.

Soon as the first guy makes a YouTube of his tesla stopping at a light, the credit cards will fly.

Rational? Nope. If sociologist wanted to find the hotspot for first world problems and incessant whining over trivial things - TMC would be the place to conduct research.

• Funny
Reactions: Cheburashka
Pay even more later.

While FSD got you literally nothing even now - almost nothing is exponentially more than absolutely nothing.

There is a large group of people here who can’t stand FOMO. Don’t you remember all the rage, protesting and open letters for those who missed the AP2 cutoff? It took almost a year and a quarter to achieve parity.

Even those who missed out on the much buggier MCU2 which also does nothing inspired a 20 page thread and campaign to Elon to swap it out.

Soon as the first guy makes a YouTube of his tesla stopping at a light, the credit cards will fly.

Rational? Nope. If sociologist wanted to find the hotspot for first world problems and incessant whining over trivial things - TMC would be the place to conduct research.

People will always complain, no matter what you do, so no surprises there. Those jumping through hoops for AP2 learned their lesson (to not trust any promises from Elon, especially when it comes to timelines). Maybe I'm too rational (or irrational?) but I would pay up to $500 for the MCU upgrade (see below why), but would not pay $500 for FSD right now, unless, and this would be a big one making FSD worth the current price to me, Tesla extended the full bumper-to-bumper warranty of my car until FSD is out of Beta and does everything Elon says it will (simple test, summon across the country, as per Elon's AP2 promises - I'll even spot him manual supercharger plugs). Wouldn't it be reasonable to want your car to still be fully functional by the time the feature you pay for comes? What if sensors have gone bad by then, out of warranty repair of auto-pilot hardware might cost you a bundle. You may have bad hardware already, just don't know it until it gets fully enabled, and what if your car is our of warranty by then?

PS> MCU2 is an upgrade, the slowness of the large screen interface to navigate to things like turn on headlights (when auto didn't), turn on rear seat heaters, or raise/lower suspension had been driving me nuts since 2013. The hiding top bar made it worse (tap screen, nothing happens, tap again, of there it is, oh no! it buffered the second tap and now it's gone again!%@$!!$!*!). My wife's MCU2 is much less frustrating.

Last edited:
Reactions: tranzndance
Although I did cast my vote as soon as the thread was created as "*I already did because I support Tesla's mission! "

I had to choose that on because is was the only one for "already purchased" I did NOT purchase because I support Tesla's mission" rather I did it because I ordered as soon as the S100D was available and the FSD video was only 2 months old. So I ordered under false pretenses not because I supported Tesla's mission.

This is on of those surveys written to get an answer you want not the real answer. ;)

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve