Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When to buy a Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My take - like all technology - is ... "If I'm ready for it, I buy it."

Chasing futures and "what-ifs" is a fools errand... If you wait for everything just-around-the-corner, you'll never make a decision.

I know I'm a contrarian here, but I also think this Battery Day thing is blown WAY out of proportion. I suspect we're going to see previews of future battery technology - higher density, longer lasting... none of which translate to any product update right now. But that's just my $0.02.

I'm expecting a ton of whining on Sept 23rd when they don't announce a 1,000 mile, 2-second 0-60 Model 3 at half the price.

Expectations are blown way up - I might even sell off my stock on the 20th or 21st and re-buy it on the 23rd.

Chasing futures and "what-ifs" is a fools errand... If you wait for everything just-around-the-corner, you'll never make a decision.

I know I'm a contrarian here, but I also think this Battery Day thing is blown WAY out of proportion.

I also have this feeling that because the event has been postponed so many times, it has become overhyped. Concerning my possible M3 purchase, I hope there is some information regarding the heat pump soon. If the wait is a month or so, I'll wait, but if the wait is until next year, I'll probably pull the trigger earlier.

I also have this feeling that because the event has been postponed so many times, it has become overhyped. Concerning my possible M3 purchase, I hope there is some information regarding the heat pump soon. If the wait is a month or so, I'll wait, but if the wait is until next year, I'll probably pull the trigger earlier.
Tesla normally makes cars for the European market at the first of the quarter because the shipping time is longer than for the US. US cars are typically made toward the end of the quarter. So if you order now, you might get your car by the end of Sept. But if you wait till the end of Sept, there's a greater probability it'll be toward the end of the year.

Tesla normally makes cars for the European market at the first of the quarter because the shipping time is longer than for the US. US cars are typically made toward the end of the quarter. So if you order now, you might get your car by the end of Sept. But if you wait till the end of Sept, there's a greater probability it'll be toward the end of the year.

Thanks, I did not know this. So what you are saying is that if I order now, I get a car that was made in July? And if I order in September, I get a car that is made in October? I'm tempted by both options :D In the first one, I might get a Tesla after waiting for less than a month. In the second, I'll get a Tesla that will definitely have some updates, such as the frunk (maybe even heat pump) and the USB-C ports.

Thanks, I did not know this. So what you are saying is that if I order now, I get a car that was made in July? And if I order in September, I get a car that is made in October? I'm tempted by both options :D In the first one, I might get a Tesla after waiting for less than a month. In the second, I'll get a Tesla that will definitely have some updates, such as the frunk (maybe even heat pump) and the USB-C ports.
If you order now, you'll most likely get one made in Sept. If you order in late Sept (or after), my guess is you'll get your car in Nov/Dec. Of course these are general statements. Sometimes there are inventory cars toward the end of the quarter. In my case, I ordered July 8 (first of the quarter) and I still don't have a VIN.

Thank you to everyone who shared their opinions in this thread and in all the other threads here! I decided not to wait and ordered my M3 26 days ago. Imagine the relief when I watched the Battery Day live stream yesterday and realized that it was all about the future. Today I became a Tesla driver. The car is fantastic and it's such a joy to drive. My car does not have the heat pump, so that is a negative side, but everything else about having the car right now is amazing.

Thank you to everyone who shared their opinions in this thread and in all the other threads here! I decided not to wait and ordered my M3 26 days ago. Imagine the relief when I watched the Battery Day live stream yesterday and realized that it was all about the future. Today I became a Tesla driver. The car is fantastic and it's such a joy to drive. My car does not have the heat pump, so that is a negative side, but everything else about having the car right now is amazing.

What is the last 6 of your VIN. Mine is 800xxx something. Can't view the webpage right now. Still down....

I know I'm a contrarian here, but I also think this Battery Day thing is blown WAY out of proportion. I suspect we're going to see previews of future battery technology - higher density, longer lasting... none of which translate to any product update right now. But that's just my $0.02.

I'm expecting a ton of whining on Sept 23rd when they don't announce a 1,000 mile, 2-second 0-60 Model 3 at half the price.

Expectations are blown way up - I might even sell off my stock on the 20th or 21st and re-buy it on the 23rd.

Re-reading one's own words can often be enlightening ... I should've listened to myself and sold off my stock Monday.

Re-reading one's own words can often be enlightening ... I should've listened to myself and sold off my stock Monday.

You really did call it quite accurately.

Hi! This is my first post here, hopefully of many. I'm currently in a situation where I would really like to purchase a Model 3, but would also like to make a smart decision. I know that whenever I buy the car, I will love it, and that technology constantly develops and something newer and better will always appear.

I have understood that it would not be smart to purchase a Tesla right before Batter Day, and that the prices might go down after that event. Or the batteries might improve drastically. I always like a smart buy, but have made a few mistakes earlier with different appliances. For example, I got my latest iPhone for a slight discount during Cyber Monday and a month later, after Christmas, it was sold for 20% less than I paid. Not a significant amount of money when talking smartphones, but with cars it's different. One also feels really stupid when the price decreases almost immediately after a purchase, and as I said, I like to make smart purchases.

Do you guys have any idea or rumors about whether something truly significant will happen after September?

What smaller updates have been made to the Model 3 lately and are there any upcoming improvements that are known?

Also, I live in Helsinki, Finland where we get snow and slush in the winter and temperatures below 0C. Are there any reasons why I should not buy the car right before a winter and rather wait until spring?

Thank you for any tips and opinions!

Wait till November/December if you can, minor revisions are coming soon. Evidence of that is reduced size frunk to make room for heatpump coming in Q4

Wait till November/December if you can, minor revisions are coming soon. Evidence of that is reduced size frunk to make room for heatpump coming in Q4

Thanks, but I already got the car :D And I'm loving every single moment driving it!

• Love
Reactions: Colsla and dmurphy