Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

when to install HWPC? new house build

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am building a new house and the builder has an option to finish the garage + run a 50A circuit to a 220V outlet (which they agreed to make a box) for me.

Is it worth it to get that setup ahead of time for the HWPC? Or should I just leave it unfinished, have a 3rd party install on a full 60A breaker, then get drywall in? How much drywall rework have people needed when installing one?

I am building a new house and the builder has an option to finish the garage + run a 50A circuit to a 220V outlet (which they agreed to make a box) for me.

Is it worth it to get that setup ahead of time for the HWPC? Or should I just leave it unfinished, have a 3rd party install on a full 60A breaker, then get drywall in? How much drywall rework have people needed when installing one?

To upgrade from 50 to 60A, they'll have to make sure the wirings are thick enough so there might be a wiring replacement expense.

For simplicity, I would just be happy with a pre-built 50A wiring then you can hook up the HWPC later.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Have them run a 60A non-GFCI circuit to a box in a good location and temporarily close it off with a blank cover plate. Then it's just a 10min job to install a HPWC over the box. And surely they'd install it for free at that point while they're doing the final switches/covers after painting. This would be about $200 cheaper than an outlet.

You'd be wise to install 2 circuits, one on each side. Even if you have to step down to 30A it's much better to have 2 for the soon-to-arrive future. Best place for a Tesla charger is toward the back of the car on either side. Best place for any other brand is near the front.

If the garage is so far from the main panel that wiring cost is a concern it may be wise to run a single 60A+ circuit to a subpanel in the garage that branches out to lots of things. For example a single 100A circuit that splits off to two 60A EVSE's, a 30A dryer, some 20A outlets, 20A garage opener, 15A interior lighting, 15A exterior lighting, and a 50A welder/tablesaw outlet. You can actually do this - going way beyond the supply circuit rating on the assumption that not everything is simultaneously in use.

Also note the 30% federal tax credit which will probably continue for 2022. So if your builder can itemize at least $3300 of the cost as being associated with your EVSE you'll get the full $1000 credit. Or alternatively $2800 from the builder and $500 from Tesla's HPWC.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H and Jejunjm