Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When to order a new Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I first found myself in the market for a Model X last summer, but for various reasons it wasn't the best time to commit to the £105,000 that was required at the time. I decided to wait a year or so, but agreed that the sales guy should contact me if anything notable changed.

I was duly contacted the week before last, with information of the change in pricing, specs and significantly, the price drop to approx £90k for seemingly a better car. And so I've started thinking about it all again.

Prior to the sales call, I had intended to wait until end of 2019, which makes slightly more sense for my particular situation. Now this price cut has happened I find myself wondering if these changes enough reason to jump in now, or whether a further 6 month wait would be prudent. 6 months is a long time with Tesla and EVs in general, and a wait until 2020 could potentially see me with a car that better addresses come of my concerns - in the case of summer 2018 it was a) price and b) range - both of which have since been improved.

I am well aware of the advice that 'there will always be an upgrade', 'always going to be a newer/better version coming', etc, and that you should buy when you are ready to buy. I'm a regular buyer of tech and am comfortable with that. However, I do always try to make my bigger purchases once I've studied a product for a while and got to know it's lifecycle and likely changes.

There still seems to be quite a bit of chatter, despite the X recent changes, about an interior refresh in 2019 (a stripped back dash, with horizontal screen per the Model 3, maybe with heads up display), as well as the continued speculation about 2170 batteries.

To be honest I'm not really expecting to hear much about 2170 batteries in a Model X any time soon, but that and an interior refresh would represent quite significant changes to the X.

The question then is: would you buy now knowing that there's never really a bad time to buy a Tesla, and the sooner the better, or... sit it out and wait another 6 months or more, which is arguably the sensible thing to do, and maybe there will be a further couple of updates/refreshes to reward my patience.

thanks very much.

All I can say is that I've been eyeing the X since 2016. I ordered one this past Thursday. The improved efficiency and slicker suspension pushed me over the edge, aided by the upcoming US tax credit drop on 7/1.

Good luck, whatever you choose.

Reactions: mu71rd
I first found myself in the market for a Model X last summer, but for various reasons it wasn't the best time to commit to the £105,000 that was required at the time. I decided to wait a year or so, but agreed that the sales guy should contact me if anything notable changed.

I was duly contacted the week before last, with information of the change in pricing, specs and significantly, the price drop to approx £90k for seemingly a better car. And so I've started thinking about it all again.

Prior to the sales call, I had intended to wait until end of 2019, which makes slightly more sense for my particular situation. Now this price cut has happened I find myself wondering if these changes enough reason to jump in now, or whether a further 6 month wait would be prudent. 6 months is a long time with Tesla and EVs in general, and a wait until 2020 could potentially see me with a car that better addresses come of my concerns - in the case of summer 2018 it was a) price and b) range - both of which have since been improved.

I am well aware of the advice that 'there will always be an upgrade', 'always going to be a newer/better version coming', etc, and that you should buy when you are ready to buy. I'm a regular buyer of tech and am comfortable with that. However, I do always try to make my bigger purchases once I've studied a product for a while and got to know it's lifecycle and likely changes.

There still seems to be quite a bit of chatter, despite the X recent changes, about an interior refresh in 2019 (a stripped back dash, with horizontal screen per the Model 3, maybe with heads up display), as well as the continued speculation about 2170 batteries.

To be honest I'm not really expecting to hear much about 2170 batteries in a Model X any time soon, but that and an interior refresh would represent quite significant changes to the X.

The question then is: would you buy now knowing that there's never really a bad time to buy a Tesla, and the sooner the better, or... sit it out and wait another 6 months or more, which is arguably the sensible thing to do, and maybe there will be a further couple of updates/refreshes to reward my patience.

thanks very much.[/QUOTE Honestly ! I don't like the interiors of model 3 , so I ordered mine now, because those changes are significant and makes the car much more enjoyable. Thanks.

Faster charging would make sense and maybe a larger pack (2170 cells unlikely) , new interior too but they just did this update and had to do substantial changes to the production line. Kinda doubt they stop production again anytime soon for major updates. Q1 production for S&X was 14k units and now in Q2 they are ramping it back up but still bellow 25k per quarter. In second half they hope to be around normal production levels.
Maybe they can do some updates without disrupting production again but doesn't seem likely. Major changes might also require regulatory approvals so it would be less than ideal to do them in stages.
Margins are low now due to production levels and they are getting them back up to 25%, assuming sufficient demand but not sure they can find room for further price cuts, ofc some variations or minor cuts for specific versions are possible.
I suppose it depends on how much you care about faster charging or new interior or w/e they might do. Unlikely it's a bad time to buy, unless the charging rates are really a problem for you and are willing to wait up to 2 years. It's not the worst time to buy, that's for sure but no way to be certain if it's the best time.

thanks for all the replies. yes i guess the main answer is there is no good or bad time to buy. you could wait for ages and then a massive price cut comes along the day after you order. The real question will be "can I force myself to wait a further 6 months or so". It's a battle of wills!

• Helpful
Reactions: Chumbo
thanks for all the replies. yes i guess the main answer is there is no good or bad time to buy. you could wait for ages and then a massive price cut comes along the day after you order. The real question will be "can I force myself to wait a further 6 months or so". It's a battle of wills!
Sir, I want to tell one thing. Life's short!!! Enjoy at sooner is possible for you. Buy it ,and be happy! Changes will be happening, but our time not coming back. Place your order and come with us enjoy our waiting time.!

Last edited:
I have had my model S for 18months and fancy an X 100 p with free ludicrous as a model S owner.£90k. I spoke to friend who has a I pace on order £85k including extras so I feel safe with my X, far superior car, only down size is the size.
Does anyone know of the most compedative leasing company ?

Are you driving some other electric car now? If not, then please do not wait another day.
With Model Y production going in at Freemont they will be combining X and S on the same line. My guess is that will mean lower production for a time (bear food) and is only possible with simplification which suggests interior refresh.

Are you driving some other electric car now? If not, then please do not wait another day.
With Model Y production going in at Freemont they will be combining X and S on the same line. My guess is that will mean lower production for a time (bear food) and is only possible with simplification which suggests interior refresh.
Just heard Elon say on the RTL podcast they are not combining S and X production but adding to the west side of the factory, so good news there but now less likely to see a big change is S and X assembly in the tear term while emphasis is on 3 and Y.

• Informative
Reactions: Arcadian