Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When to order? Existing car goes back mid-Feb

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

abat

Nov 16, 2020
UK
I've got an existing company car that goes back mid-Feb and I'm trying to work out when best to order. This will be a cash purchase rather than another company car (not my choice) so no lease company to worry about. I don't mind a bit of overlap or even a couple of weeks of being carless if it is unavoidable. In some older posts I read about essentially being able to put a hold on the order once you'd made it but these all seem to be from posts made a while ago.

I'm keeping an eye on the estimated delivery dates on the Tesla site and plan to wait a little longer before ordering. Anything wrong with this strategy?

I've got an existing company car that goes back mid-Feb and I'm trying to work out when best to order. This will be a cash purchase rather than another company car (not my choice) so no lease company to worry about. I don't mind a bit of overlap or even a couple of weeks of being carless if it is unavoidable. In some older posts I read about essentially being able to put a hold on the order once you'd made it but these all seem to be from posts made a while ago.

I'm keeping an eye on the estimated delivery dates on the Tesla site and plan to wait a little longer before ordering. Anything wrong with this strategy?
Keep checking estimated delivery dates on the Tesla website, order now and you could be December delivery. Order January and you'll be mid Feb/March.

New stock is usually delivered in the last 6 weeks of each quarter.

Remember to use a referral code to get your 1000 free supercharging miles too!

In some older posts I read about essentially being able to put a hold on the order once you'd made it but these all seem to be from posts made a while ago.

I ordered on Sept 6 expecting 5-10 weeks wait, and then was matched basically straight away but couldn't take it that fast. Asked them to hold until October, that they did. Now due to pickup next week. So holds are still a thing.

I remember reading some saying that when your hold is released you just join the back of the queue for your spec. So don't hold until for the first day you can take delivery! Holding until the first day in the quarter has worked out perfectly for me getting in the first Q4 shipment, middle of the quarter delivery. But the timing will all depend on how shipments for Q1 work out, and that's anybody's guess!

It's worth remembering that you can also delay a delivery by 7 days before they'll want to allocate the vehicle to someone that could take it sooner. So a little flexibility is in there...

I ordered late December 2019 and picked up early March. I remember at the time Tesla estimated a February collection so not far off. I was without a car for 4 weeks but managed ok with a mix of working from home (if I only knew then what was ahead!) working away and borrowing my wife’s car.
The wait is quite exciting :)

I think inventory cars are the thing that mucks up the best of plans - you get everything aligned, and then boom, there's one in inventory and they offer it straight way!

As others have said though, I think you can delay delivery a bit and possibly even refuse if it's too soon, although I think you go back to the bottom of the matching list them.

And using a referral code is a win:win!

:)

My friend placed an order with me in September, he's still kept his on hold - no issues from Tesla, just let the the advisor know and don't fill in the finance information so you're not assigned a VIN either. Feb is quite soon so you can order anytime really however if you want to be 100% on the safe side. I can provide you the e-mail of a very helpful Tesla Advisor based out of Chelmsford whom I used yesterday for an order amendment. They can confirm your request in writing, you'll then be able to place the order and have piece of mind that you can pickup on your selected date - no surprises!

I asked for a hold in September 2019 until November. Got allocated a car around November 4th and picked up on 23rd. but its all luck of the draw and how special your car is. order with a tow bar and you could wait longer etc. I ordered early to beat any price rises knowing I would probably defer and it saved me about £1500 since the price did go up after I ordered. If i'd done it an few weeks even earlier I would have premium connectivity for life as well now:mad: so there does not seem to be much to loose ordering early since they will adjust the price if it falls usually.

I asked for a hold in September 2019 until November. Got allocated a car around November 4th and picked up on 23rd. but its all luck of the draw and how special your car is. order with a tow bar and you could wait longer etc. I ordered early to beat any price rises knowing I would probably defer and it saved me about £1500 since the price did go up after I ordered. If i'd done it an few weeks even earlier I would have premium connectivity for life as well now:mad: so there does not seem to be much to loose ordering early since they will adjust the price if it falls usually.
Yeah, and Tesla do seem to not have any inventory towards the start of a quarter with a huge push towards the end shipping, even discounting some of the Performance cars quite heavily.

Just had a text telling me "A car has already been allocated to your order". Still no inventory showing that matches my order though. I've not yet filled in the finance section yet. I guess I should probably call and tell them I can't take until Jan.

Just had a text telling me "A car has already been allocated to your order". Still no inventory showing that matches my order though. I've not yet filled in the finance section yet. I guess I should probably call and tell them I can't take until Jan.
Suspect there are unallocated cars on the inbound ships. Yes - just let them know you're not ready to accept right now.

Precisely what I did and it worked out for the first shipment of the quarter. Hope it does for you too!

Well that was super-easy. I called the number on the account page and they basically said yes no problem we'll unmatch until January. I also emailed earlier with the same information although was probably best calling. Hopefully this will work!

Well the company car lease figures are in...just doing my spreadsheet now and double checking the figures before I submit them. It is kinda tight.

A few variables for the boss to think about as I take a fully expensed 330e now, but intend to drop to a 4p a mlle claim back on the electric M3. Hope I have done the figures right! Haha